Carrying on from Naked Starfish Buttocks,
THIS is funny, but very very scary.
(includes the phrases:103 uses of the most foul of the foul words;promotion of being gay;adults in underwear;suggestive eye movement;Catholicism promotion of plenary indulgence;"We went through five Adams before we figured that one out.""It's too big." ... "That's what Jesus said.").
And this; their scary justification for judging others:
As a FEW examples of His desire for us to judge:
Job 34:4 Let us discern [judge] (No, sonny; that's "Discern", not "Judge" … try looking it up in a dictionary) for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good. Prov. 3:21 My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. Jer. 22:3 Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness... Phil. 1:10 so that you may be able to discern [judge](see note above, you dork) what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ... Phil. 1:7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you [judge you]... (my emphasis) Heb. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern [judge](he's at it again) both good and evil.What? … I mean WHAT? …
Sorry guys, but try "Judge not, lest ye be judged thyself*", (and judged to be wankers).
Don't just pick sentences out of the Old Testament and use them out of context to justify your perverse fear of reality.
Go read the Beatitudes. That's God's Word.
*Life of Brian.
Apologies for rambling.
Still too bleurgh to post properly. I'll try again later.
18 comments:
So, you're up and feeling better, then? I just deleted a paragraph about Christians being mouthy about their opinions on the things of the world, but I don't think it made sense. I'll have to think about how to word it more clearly.
Back in my Christian college days, I had a good friend in my dorm who used to shake her head and say "Those Christians, I hate em." It made me giggle every time.
I can see nothing Christian at all in the attitude of people like that.
Just an intolerable, bullying arrogance based on their desperate fear of reason and reality.
Sad people …
Ah yes. I didn't like Dogma, but I don't get why people made such a big fuss out of it.
What have the Romans ever done for us?
Feel better. You could check out that site's post on Billy Elliot. It's pretty funny.
Will do.
Strangely enough, neither the "Kids In Mind" site, nor the "scary shouty Christians" have reviewed Life Of Brian.
The Pythons' "Blessed Are The Cheesemakers" skit on the Beatitudes was one of the funniest moments in movie history and could not possibly have offened any true Christian.
And Dogma was just silly but it did make me laugh, especially at Alan Rickman's crotch.
Thanks, Sassy.
I've never really wanted to watch Billy Elliot, but after that review, I think I must get hold of a copy.
OK, I just took the time to read the entire review, and I guess I don't think it's funny or even very scary. I think it's sad, because if this guy is so devoted to Jesus then wouldn't it be better for him to focus his energy on something more productive like showing Christ? I don't even care that he judges his culture. I just think he's so caught up in being angry and repulsed, and I'd rather see him (and the thousands more like him) showing some love and compassion. There, I'm finished.
Absolutely one hundred percent with you there, Robyn.
The person who wrote that review seems almost psychopathically angry at anything they see as not complying with what can only be descibed as their sick and twisted view of Christianity.
I should stop looking at things like that; they only wind me up.
I usually don't go poking around for stuff like because was raised in a church just like this. When I was a kid, we actually had bring in our "rock 'n roll" albums and smash them up in the sanctuary as a way to purge our heathen souls.
I'll be the first to admit there is some trashy stuff out there, but I'd rather do my part by avoiding what bothers me and being light instead of smashing things.
Nice clock, by the way.
Wow! You're quick, Robyn!
I was about to write a comment thanking you for the spiffy clock idea (yes, I nicked it from you).
And as for smashing rock and roll albums, looking at some of my vinyl from the seventies, you may have been onto something there …
I got the clock from someone I found in your links. I don't remember who, but it looked cool, so I nosed around until I found the funky green one.
It looks nice on your site. The colour is right.
I choose a boring one because the flashy ones were pretty unreadable (although I almost ordered a real "sushi" clock from J-List in Japan but backed out in a sudden and uncharacteristic fit of sanity).
A sushi clock sounds like fun, I I think I'd like a big black cat clock with a swinging tale. That would be the ultimate clock, especially if it's hung on a wall papered in big pink boomerangs like my mother's old kitchen counter top.
Mikey used to have a cat clock like that on his desktop.
It was fine until it yowled out the hours.
Big pink boomerangs? Don't let Knudsen know!
Oh fine. Now you've mentioned his name--he has radar--he'll be right over, I'm sure.
That's a great image: Old Knudsen in his barnacle encrusted pirate ship, scanning his radar for innuendo …
Hee hee.
Thanks for ranting about the tendency of religious zealots (of any religion) to use out-of-context words from their holy book to back up their own human prejudice. It's 'got my goat' for a long time, that one. I was trying to look up one of my favourite bizarre quotes from either Leviticus or Deuteronomy, which as far as I can remember has to do with putting up scaffolding if you're doing any work on your house, because the resulting mess if you fall off would be an abomination to the Lord. However, that doesn't matter any more because I've found this which features many such pearls of wisdom, illustrated in Lego. Fantastic.
Woohoo!
That's the best one yet!
Thanks, Peahen. Kinda puts the whole thing into perspective. Brilliant.
Post a Comment