I realise our hospitals are dangerous places; should you want to catch an MRSA bug and die, that's where you go to get it.
If, however, you're booked in for your six-monthly, "look out, you're middle-aged and getting ready to drop dead" checkup, you don't expect most of the hospital staff to be off sick.
The same flu bug I got last week.
The flu bug that the flu jabs we all had doesn't cover for …
Just an example from today's catalogue of absurdity: The University Hospital in Norwich (huge place, brand new, supposedly one of the best) has two blood test departments, each with four nurses.
Today, it had one shut down completely due to staff illness, and the one that was still open was down to two nurses.
I joined the queue and took my number. The indicator light said number 13 … I drew number 94 …
Three hours later, the nurses went to lunch, switching off the lights and putting a sign up (we had got to number 75).
My two hour chekup just took me all day.
And it cost me £12 to get off the fucking car park.
Too tired and pissed off to post anything but bile and abuse (so what's new), I'm going to watch old movies and then go to bed.
9 comments:
What a crappy system. I complain about having to wait 30 minutes in my doctor's waiting room--I should be grateful. Sorry it was such a miserable experience.
Are you healthy at least?
It was much worse for the poor old pensioners waiting with me, gasping for breath and flinching from all the screaming kids.
Healthy? Thanks for asking, Robyn but who knows? I've got to go back again in the new year if there are any nurses left alive …
So you mean you didn't even get the nasty old check up? Just had to sit with a bunch of snotty snot-blowing kids?!?
No, I sat with a couple of marvellous old duffers who served in the middle east in the ordnance corps during WWII.
Lots of lovely stories about sand and tea and stuff.
I have to go back to get the results.
Oh, well in that case, maybe it was not such a bad day. Sitting with old people who are willing to tell their stories can be a great way to spend your time. You wouldn't have met them otherwise.
I once had to wait in the driver's licesen bureau with this old woman who honestly acted like she wanted to be my girl friend. She talked really loud, and she complimenting me on everything, include my teeth. Very funny. The rest of the waiters were entertained.
we are starting to get confirmed case of the flu here in the states. I got a big dose of the antibody this year as last year I did get the flu and spend the christmas holiday in bed with fever.
Old people can be lovely, Robyn. I have to say that as I hope to be one myself.
And Rich; watch out for this one. The current flu jab (which I had back in November) doesn't guard against this strain and it's a vicious little bugger!
We still have to wait forever with our stupid system. My doctors are supposed to schedule appointments every fifteen minutes, which means that if one person is really sick that the entire schedule is fucked up for the day.
And it's horribly expensive, even with insurance.
To avoid that obscene car-parking charge maybe you should have gone on the bus -- I'm assuming you have a reasonably bus service where you are -- I could be wrong.
I had to wait six months just to get the result of a test which said "you aren't suffering from the ailment we diagnosed you for and have been treating me for for almost three years but something else and we aren't going to bother treating you for that". Whilst, ostensibly good news, it would have been better if they'd told me a few months sooner before I paid for yet another repeat prescription for drugs I didn't need. Even better if they'd done the test two years previously!
Alas, such is the UK in the 21st century -- at least we don't also have to pay through the nose like they seem to do in the States.
Post a Comment