Friday, October 31, 2008

Hello Ian Again

Time flies when you're having no fucking fun at all.

The undatable man hits fifty in less than two weeks and today I run face first, smack-bang into yet another bloody Hello Ian day with all its attendant crappiness.

Only a couple of you are old enough to remember, but two years ago I launched the very first Date Dive appeal with this post.

For those who can't be arsed to click a link (that'll be all of you), this was when I fessed up to my predeliction for those spooky, kooky, sexy weemen in the pointy hats and set out on a fruitless quest to date one.

My deep and admittedly creepy yearning for the incomparably cute and sexy Willow Rosenberg you are all familiar with, but any old witch can make me twitch; be it twinkly-nosed Samantha from Bewitched or Connie Booth with a parsnip tied to her face in Python's Holy Grail; even Hermione "Chlamydia Disappearum!" Granger, now she's grown up enough to throw a decent strop can make me ache in alarming places.

But as usual on this particular day of each year I end up lamenting three all too familiar failings:

1 - None of the above are real (a tricky hurdle to get over on a date as I know from long and bitter experience);

2 - They'd never date me if they were; and

3 - The modern Wiccan is - in my experience of sitting with my latte and croissant, hiding behind the Guardian book review and watching the browsers at the "alternative lifestyle" section of my bookshop - lacking in that elusively sexy essence of witchiness that lures me Wiccawards at this time of year.

Today's browser at the witchy bookshelves appears to come in three unfortunate flavours, none of them even remotely Willow-like:

- First up are stupid tweenie kids whose exposure to the wonderful world of literature consists solely of the Harry Potter books.
Spotty or fat or otherwise "differently attractive" enough to need to hide from the world in sad fictional delusions, they come giggling into the bookshop in protective groups, scanning the shelves for spell books containing love philtres or a cure for acne or chlamydia (usually both, by the look of them) and totally unprepared for any form of reality.
God help them when they have to leave school and get a job and a life.
Or a date.

- Next up we encounter the vast majority of modern Wiccans; dumpy and frumpy middle-aged women with the slightly dazed expression of the terminally confused, wearing enough bangles to give them arms like stevedores and crappy lumps of crystal hanging round their necks.
They are invariably dressed in layers of long, flowy "gypsy" clothing to which the phrase "concealing to appeal" is horribly apt.
In their mirrors (as they trowel on fistfuls of mascara) they see a young Stevie Nicks but in the flesh they resemble mad bag-ladies.

- The sole exception to those two Wiccan flavours was one pale and interesting goth girl who glared disgustedly at me as if I were some kind of … er … creepy middle-aged man with a pervy hankering for a pale and interesting goth girl; which was remarkably astute of her.

So … the dating potential of these groups:

Tempting as it may seem to don a tatty cape and prey upon spotty, insecure and feeble-minded teenage girls, I may be desperate for a date but I am not an icky creep (well not totally, anyway), so the pædo option is a non-starter.

As for the deluded and lonely middle-aged women …
Sheesh!
Listen up, laydees:

(a) You are NOT Stevie Nicks. She dressed that way because she could, not because she had to.

(b) Crystals … For fuck's sake! They may be pretty to look at but they have no more healing power than any other lump of rock.
As you'll discover if you drop one on your foot.

(c) Astrology … Duh! Anybody who believes the relative positions of the stars and planets at the time they were born has any significance whatsoever is clearly delusional and probably deranged.
This means you.
I never, EVER date anyone who tells me their "star sign". Your average root vegetable will be capable of far more scintillating and intellectual conversation. And it will taste better.

(d) Use the word "aura" around me and you'll get a whack upside the head with that fucking spell book.

(e) The thought of any one of you flabby harridans dancing naked around a standing stone is enough to put me off sex for life.

Which leaves me with the goth.
I like goths.
That may have something to do with my own lifelong habit of spending sunny summer days skulking indoors with the curtains shut, listening to songs about suicide.
And dressing in black.
Or it may be simply that goth girls are usually gorgeous.
I have always preferred pale and interesting over brash and trashy.
My problem is that pale and interesting girls are never interested in me.
And my looming fiftieth birthday makes it increasingly unlikely that they ever will be.

So … Witches and goths are probably not the best places to look for a date.
Hey ho.

While I go dig a hole in the garden to stick my head in and cry, I'll leave you with this delightful ditty from the lovely Neil Hannon: The Happy Goth.



Anyone with the cheek to rhyme "goth" with "Hoth" (a cheer there from the Star Wars fans) gets my vote.
I particularly love the trippy-happy string section toward the end.
Hee hee.
Please excuse the appalling video but it was the only version I could find.

Happy Hello Ian from undatable Dive!

27 comments:

Joy said...

So how goes the fort watch?

Ok, no mention of aura, astrology and star signs then!

dive said...

Where's that bloody spell book?
Be thankful I'm in London today and out of book-hurling range, Joy.
Hee hee.

Joy said...

You know what? I'm gonna look into something and perhaps surprise you. Hang on - why are you in London??? It's Halloween!

dive said...

I got tricked into a smegging meeting.

Katie said...

Hmmm. Quite a video to wake up to on a rainy Halloween! Didn't see any goth chicks at Neil's concert in Paris. My sister headed slightly toward the goth look in high school, but I just couldn't be bothered. I doubt I could pull it off anyway. Once when I was a volunteer at a psychiatric nursing home I wore a witch hat and fake plastic nose that was long with big warts and it was amazing to watch the reaction from people who were normally unresponsive to my cheery attempts to engage them -- they usually smiled in recognition and delight. I hope it brought them back to being a kid when witches meant Halloween and candy and so on. Speaking of candy (sorry to veer away from your goth fetish), I found a little shop in SF selling foreign sweets and they have Crunchies and Yorkies! In any event, best if luck finding the perfect witch and happy Halloween!

dive said...

Happy Halloween, Katie.
I had a feeling you'd enjoy hearing Neil.
If only I had the time this afternoon to Photoshop a pointy hat, witchy nose and warts onto your photo. Hee hee.

Katie said...

Um, I hope you're REALLY busy today and don't have time to Photoshop, as I totally don't need a witch hat and horrible nose. I'm trying to be more stylish, not less so!

dive said...

Fortunately, Friday afternoons around here look like someone set fire to the chicken shed. Lots of idiots running around, squawking and flapping and leaving trails of poo.
And you are already stylish, chic and elegant.

Scout said...

Ha, I love the suggestion of dropping a "healing" crystal on your foot.

Goths may seem cute when their young and skinny and melodramatic, but when they reach middle age, they just look sloppy.

dive said...

You're right, Robyn.
Sadly, a lot of those gorgeous goth girls will mutate into dumpy, grumpy, black-clad middle aged women with unfortunate make-up and rusty scabs where their piercings were.

Joy said...

I hope your house will still be in one piece when you get back.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Not keen on the song, but I love goths too! I adore black and I love eyeliner so the look kind of appeals to me. I'm pretty much your age so I wouldn't dare sport it, but I do wear a slight eyeliner as a nod to it, but then I always have. Adore Amy Winehouse's make-up, not that she's a goth, her music too but maybe you're going to say something horrid about her now...I feel it coming...

I think perhaps you should refrain from staring at these young goths, Dive. lol. Prob not a good idea. They do tend to be very young! I'm an Aries, by the way. What are you, because I'm really into star signsandibelieveitallandwelli'mjustagoodleader andi'mreallyfeelinitman...ok no I'm not, don't know the first thing about it. Just thought I'd freak you out.

dive said...

Lynn, I thought you were a pristine-whites-only girl.
I won't say anything horrid about Amy Winehouse because I've never heard any of her music.
I think I've seen photos of her though, in those appalling celeb-rags the plebs stare at on the tube. Does she have a messy beehive hairdo and more tattoos than a fleet of merchant seamen?
If that's her then all I'll say is "What a fucking mess." That's not make-up; that's tripping over and falling face-first onto a wet Jackson Pollock painting.
Hey ho.

I thought Aries was a make of cheapo American car.

Shan said...

Well I'm running away from all that Wiccan talk as fast as I can, but then I stop and pause when you say Goth. Here in my smalltown of Regularville (clinging to our God and guns), you don't see Goth much.

Except we have this one young kid who cashiers at our local grocery who is totally tricked out every single day in full on Goth. He is the cutest(even beautiful) thing! And I always try not to stare in appreciation while gathering up my goods!

I tend to look so normal these days as a nearly forty, but I think he occasionally realizes I used to be the one who got the stares with my weirdo hair stylings and makeup. At least I pretend we have that special connection at the checkout. ;)

Growing up my mom used to do the full-on witch on Halloween and scare kids off our porch. You would have liked her though in a Helena Bonham Carter kinda way.

MmeBenaut said...

Happy Halloween to you too Dive dear.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

I like the you tube vid and the song is ok too.

I'm right behind you with the nifty fifty thing, dive.

Joy said...

Let me know what the house looks like when you get home!

savannah said...

now.i.feel.old.



xoxo

Shazza said...

I hope you get a Willow type Dive.

neetzy said...

I love the goths. My daughter is a semi-goth. She wears black and/or dresses like her favorite Japanese anime character. I would have been a goth if it were an option in the earlier 70's. All the goths hang with me in the art room. Are you jealous Dive?

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Yes that's her, but you should see the older photos of her really, couple of years ago. Lovely make-up, but overdone. That's ok though, that's her image, you wouldn't want to pop down to Tesco's looking like it particularly. Try some of her music, Dive. I'm putting some on my blog today actually. Anyway, see what you think.

Dive you will SO LOVE Daily Photo's Theme Day today! Yep, it's 'books'. You need a serious cup of coffee now to take a worldwide trip!

Jules said...

Being a love child of the 60s and 70s (peace brother), I missed all this Goth stuff. Not sure about the girls but any Goth Boy Child I have seen is just all too weird and sickly looking to be of any interest.

Be careful of witches - I'd be worried they'd want to sacrifice a chicken and drink its blood after sex....

PS Lynn - the only books on this island are in my bookshelf - no library, no bookshelf so no point joining the Theme Day!!!!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

You should photo the ones in your home then Jules, I have (well some), so have lots of others.

Dive yes I do adore white as you know. For sofas, curtains, walls, but there's mahogany in there too, by choice. For clothes, yes sometimes in summer, but I'm really a black-clothes girl. Most of my wardrobe is black. lol.

savannah said...

day of the dead comment:
had to go back and read the original post (oh i get it helloianagain = halloween, gawd, i am thick as a plank) so, how'd it go last night? anything exciting? did you get dragged into a party of fit 40something wiccans longing for some dive-alish? did the house get egged? tell me, please!!xoxoxo

my kitchen is half done. tomorrow there's no more cooking, just takeaway meals! i don't have the energy to document this move, otherwise i'd post pictures. xoxox

dive said...

Hi, Shan.
I can't believe fundamentalist Christians take Wiccas seriously. I mean a bunch of self deluded saddoes too timid to actually believe in anything? It's only the real hardcore weirdos who still sacrifice chickens and shag goats; most modern Wiccans are all New Age wimpy imbecility and "the healing power of crystals" … Ha! Idiots.
At least you've stopped burning them. That was kind of counter productive in that it gave them some type of credibility.

Goths are fun. They keep themselves clean and they're pretty good with make-up.

And Helena Bonham Carter? Ooooooooooooooo … I always had such a thing for her.

Mme: And to you! I hope you had a great time.

Rich: Yup. You're hard on my heels. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Joy: Thankfully, while I was making my way home from London John next door chased off a couple of gangs of hoody little fuckers who were banging on my door and yelling and getting ready with the eggs. This morning it remains egg-free.

Savannah: You look so young. That's so unfair!
Hee hee.
xoxox

Shazza: So do I! It's never gonna happen but I can dream …

Neetzy: Gothic Lolita style is übercool! It makes even regular goths look like they're not trying.
I am definitely jealous!

Lynn: I had a listen to a few tracks.
If she was given decent songs and had a better range (and a MUCH better backing band … boy were they uninspiringly dull) she might be good, but all of that's been done so many times before. And much better.
Pity.

dive said...

Savannah: Hee hee hee.
Yup … Hello Ian. When we were kids all the Ians hated halloween.

As I said above, my neighbour rescued my house and by the time I got home and locked the car safely in the garage the gangs had given up trick or treating and instead were roaming around with fireworks and vandalising cars.
I escaped unscathed.

Moving house sucks so bad. Make sure you document all the hassle so you're not tempted to do it again.
xoxoxo

neetzy said...

My two daughters love Gothic Lolita. I am also glad that they are very modest Gothic Lolitas. Some of it can get pretty racy. Daughter A just purchased a new "learn Japanese" video game. It is quite good. She is disappointed that her school does not offer Japanese.