Thursday, October 02, 2008

Let's Make A Racket - XXVII

It's Thursday so it must be time once again to endure a Racket.
It's been over six months since I started this crap and looking back over the past twenty-six weekly cacophonies it is with tremendous pride that I notice the standard has been steadily declining since day one.

This week we hit a new and fœtid layer in the splattery brown depths of The Death Of Music with a lurching, shambolic and magnificently awful version of Tom Waits' "Heartattack And Vine".

I'm not sure if Steve even knows the words to this one.
It is one of those tracks from the more copiously lubricated end of a Blues Club session where he would simply launch into a song without any consideration as to whether any of us actually know it (including - specifically in this case - himself).

At least it's got a couple of guitar solos spattered across it that I kinda like … Nothing flashy, just lazy fingerpicking with a few examples of that nice finger-vibrato that ze weemen seem to think is my best feature (I can't think why).

Laurie plays some nice tasteful sax, too. As for the rest of it: I think it's best listened to after drinking a lot (the same way it was played).

12 comments:

Alifan said...

MMMMMMmmm of course everyone should be jealous of me, because when we were there living those nights watching you clever folk who are having a great time..... (well pea can remember as well), but your dad and I loved those nights....

dive said...

They were lots of fun. Though some nights Steve did get a little "bendy in the legs". Hee hee.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Hang on, I think I may be able to listen to this one.....a first!...

Oh and the dancing link over at mine? I know. Couldn't get the thing to work, so I put a link in the comments box. Go back there Dive - I know you will like it, it's utterly charming. Such a sweet girl dancing (that'll get you there!) and the men too are captivating.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Wow that's amazing Dive. I heard you for once! I have technology of some sorts.. Very sexy and saxy I'd say.

Scout said...

A great rendition, even if you didn't know the song.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

This kind of reminded me a bit of Van Morrison...when He was bloody shit faced. hee hee not bad though!!

dive said...

Lynn: You are so right! What a cutie! I am of that generation who find knee-length pleated tartan skirts incredibly sexy!

And I'm glad you got to hear a racket at last. Shame it was such a bad one. You'll have to go back and see if you can hear the early ones now.

Robyn: I knew the song but I'm not at all sure that Steve did!

Cheers, Rich!
Drunk is okay on stage occasionally. Stoned is not. Save that for after the gig or your playing deteriorates to imbecility, whatever kids might say to the contrary (speaks the voice of experience).

Maria said...

I'm smiling at your comment about not playing stoned. When Bing and I were in college, she played with an all female rock and roll band (she played drums mostly, piano and guitar occasionally.) Anyway, I remember that out of the five woman, three of them loved to get stoned and play and Bing would get so pissed off, said that their playing deteriorated to junior high level when they were stoned, but that when they were drunk, it actually got better.

neetzy said...

As I listen I am enjoying the mental picture of all of you with your bendy legs and bendy voices. It doesn't matter if the words were right. I think I'd be kind of bendy if I were there as well. Better bendy then stuck in a squat!

dive said...

Maria: decades of experience have shown this to be absolutely true.
Anyone who thinks they play better stoned (which is most people who get stoned) should record it and listen back. They'll never do it again. Sheesh!

Neetzy: Better indeed. Yikes! Carrying on the drinking on stage theme from earlier: with Steve, we noticed that after a couple of pints he tended to get a little "bendy-legged" on stage; Neil would go into what we could only describe as a "chicken dance", Michael gave long and hilariously dry monologues between songs and I tended to stick to water unless we were down the Blues Club. I have no idea what little mannerisms I have on stage when tipsy; you'd have to ask Pea or the guys from the band.

M.Benaut said...

Howdy old son.
As it's sort-of today, today and not Tuesday 30 Sept, I just wanted to let you and the gang know that I am crawling out of jet-lag and wishing to let you all know that I have left a few heartfelt thank-yous on your post of Tues 30th. below.

dive said...

Welcome back, my wonderful friend!
Jetlag must be so awful! Thirty hours travelling and no sleep only to wake up in a reverse time zone. Sheesh!
Chill out with a nice bottle of wine and don't worry about us.