No work today! It's Katiefest! Yay!
If my train is behaving I should be at Katie's hotel around nine o'clock for our second day of pounding the streets of London in search of fun, culture and mosaics.The interweb tells me my usual train - inevitably - will be delayed so I dash around like a mad thing, hurling on clothes, grabbing my camera and driving to Norwich in nutjob GTA-style to catch the early train, on the way drying my hair by sticking my head out of the window.
The early train gets through okay which results in me sauntering around the charming Georgian crescent toward Katie's hotel at around ten to nine just as she - by delightful coincidence - steps out of the door to test the air and decide whether or not she will need a coat.
Catching somebody by surprise and watching their unguarded expression as they recognise you (the split second before they can plaster on a smile) is a great way of gauging how unwelcome you are and seeing Katie's face light up will keep me smiling all winter long.
Knowing she was in Lara Croft mode, the night before I had scoured the web for London mosaics and made a hit list.
First up was just around the corner and one tube stop away: Eduardo Paolozzi's gloriously trippy transformation of Tottenham Court Road underground station.I'll just post this taster as Katie has taken loads of photos for a series of "Mosaic" posts (coming soon to Katiefornia … Don't miss it).
For anyone who doesn't know the station the entire thing, from platforms to surface, including the escalator tunnel is covered in strange and wonderful mosiacs and it is well worth a visit when you're in London simply to stand and wonder just what on earth Paolozzi was smoking at the time.
From there we wend our way to the river (whenever anyone visits me in London they find themselves walking alongside the Thames and across the Westminster parks a LOT) and Katie gets an eyeful of the Eye, which she will be riding the next day with Rose.
And looking the other way, who should we see peeking over the Embankment wall? None other than good old Big Ben …I know, I know: if the pedants would stop screaming at me for a moment I can assure them that I am well aware it is just the bell itself that is called Big Ben; the tower is actually known as "The Clock Tower Of The Palace Of Westminster".
Well bollocks! Like everybody else I call the whole bloody thing Big Ben and will continue to do so.
Here's a way of making Big Ben look gooooood … Photograph it with a chic Berkeley girl on a sunny day.
Here's where it all goes wrong: The Houses of Parliament, infamously anagramised by Old Dive to become "The House of Rampant Lies" (s'true; check it for yourself).Right across the street from Big Ben is Westminster tube station, where Katie and I - following Dante and Virgil - descend into "The Hole", the seemingly never-ending and gloriously infernal escalator ride into the roiling bowels of the earth, passing Hades on the way down (don't forget to wave; you never know where you might end up) to the deep, deep platforms of the Jubilee line extension.
This brand spanking new (well, fairly new) and exceedingly fast tube line (known as the "jubbly", much as the Waterloo and City line is known as the "drain") is the quickest way from Westminster to London's aptly named financial and banking sector, the Isle of Dogs, where we shall be rooting around beneath Canary Wharf hoping to bag a wonderful series of mosaics.
While we're on the subject, the bankers have another poetically named DLR train station just next door to Canary Wharf; one that should really have given us warning of where our money has gone … the station is called Mudchute.
One whizzy and hi-tech tube ride later we surface several miles downstream at Canary Wharf's mega-spiffy new station, a must-see for any visiting architects or indeed anyone who simply wishes to point and laugh at bankers.
1 Canada Square, known to Londoners simply as "Canary Wharf" (a similar but much smaller tower block beside the train line out of Liverpool Street station is known locally as "Canary Dwarf").My train ride gives me a great view of this building and in the evenings the sunsets reflect off the metal façade and turn the whole thing into a gorgeous pinky orange confection. It has a huge glass pyramid roof (not visible from down here), like a mega version of the Louvre pyramid and you get some truly awesome sky reflections off it.
In a wise and prescient move they built London's financial centre around the old docks so that stricken financiers can safely jump from their skyscrapers and merely go "splash", rather than "splat".
Katie knows someone who works in the CityGroup building behind her. We decide that they have enough woes on their hands without seeing smiling, happy people on vacation so we leave them alone and hunt mosaics.
We are heading for Wharf Walk, a pictorial history in mosaic that guides us through the Jubilee Place mall beneath Canary Wharf.
Between 2000 and 2002, boffo mosaic artist Emma Biggs painstakingly installed this beautiful stone and glass mosaic series illustrating an eclectic range of the goods and wares that passed through the original dockyards of the East India and West India docks just outside.
The London Basin was for hundreds of years almost solid with sailing ships bearing goods from the farthest reaches of our glorious Empire to be consumed in the slathering maw of the Great Wen.Read Dickens (especially the pursuit and death of Bill Sykes) for a stinking, slimy, festering, mud-spattered, smoke-blackened, shit-encrusted, scratch-and-sniff depiction of the area in its hellish heyday.
Wading gloopily across the current financial pismire, possibly the best use for the Financial Times is to rip the thing up and wear it, like this elegant lady posing with Katie.
Halfway along the Wharf Walk the aroma of freshly ground coffee grabs us by the nostrils and drags us - not entirely unwilling - into Nero's.
Cappucino for Katie; Americano for Dive (black, of course).It seems - in addition to our money - that the bankers and financiers of London can not be trusted with glasses and our free iced waters come in paper cups. In the Norwich branch they keep a stock of glasses in the freezer, thick with frosted ice and give you your water in those; much nicer.
Much to the relief of the planet's remaining chelonia, most tortoiseshell is now made from plastic.We didn't used to simply tear off their shells and throw the rest away; my Victorian copy of Mrs. Beeton's Household Management lists several delicious chelonian recipes.
She helpfully gives figures for how many terrapins you will need per person/pie and delights in such handy hints as "Be sure to break the turtle's legs before putting it into the pot as otherwise it will struggle manfully to liberate itself".
Remember that the next time you cook one.
I'll leave you today back in Westminster with a tiny Katie photographing a … er … big Big Ben, and incidentally attracting an admiring glance from the guy in the striped teeshirt.In tomorrow's post, Katie and I will be hitting the parks as the sunshine gets serious.
Expect eye candy (and I don't just mean Katie).

29 comments:
Lovely photo's as always.... felt like I was with you....well especially the one in front of the eye one!!!
You've done that very pose yourself here on the blog.
The weather was absolutely perfect. Low sixties under a clear blue sky with the leaves on the plane trees just beginning to turn.
Thank Katie for bringing the sun from San Francisco.
The guy in the t-shirt sure was enjoying the view!
That sky is beautiful as are the photos. The mosaics are amazing. I am speechless and tired! Good morning to you, good night to me!
The man had taste, that's for sure.
Sleep well, Cali.
Fantastic once again, Dive. It's wonderful to read and look at. I especially liked your description of catching the moments before someone recognises you and seeing the actual truth on their faces. So true.
The last photo made me smile; the striped man checking Katie out but, moreso, his pee'd-off stripey girlfriend lagging behind. She's thinking "Ok, shut your mouth, dear."
Well spotted, Lynn! Hee hee.
Men! Huh! We're all alike.
Fabulous day out; Katie looks much fitter than I am!!
I adore all the photos of Katie taking photos of the mosaics and Big Ben of course. Brings back some lovely memories of our wonderful day out.
Way to go Katie!
Even more memories to come tomorrow, Mme!
We walked solidly for two whole days and Katie didn't even hint at getting tired.
She is amazingly fit!
how cool a guide are you, sugar? great pics! i'm looking forward to the rest of the travelogue. xoxo
(i still owe you a surprise pic from lax! the MITM took it just for you.)
Oooh! Oooh! I love surprises, Savannah (nice ones, anyway).
xoxox
I see you now have the Katie-induced interest in mosaics. Since Katie began mosaic work, many of my travel photos are of mosaics or other tile work. Amazing what you can find when you retrain your eyes. Thank you for posting so many photos and describing your adventures with such enthusiasm.
Dive...what a wonderful start to my day...reading your lyrical description of the sights of London on a perfect weather day. Your photos are spot on and the narrative is priceless. I'm anxiously awaiting more of your adventures with Katie!
Well good morning, ladies!
Lupine Lady: Hee hee; yes, I found myself walking through Norwich this morning looking for them. Katie has given me "mosaic-radar" and I shall send her any good ones I find.
Cynthia: The weather was indeed perfect! Katie brought it with her from San Francisco.
In tomorrow's post we shall be exploring the parks and enjoying another art exhibition.
After that is much more mosaic-hunting, fun in Trafalgar Square, some mosaics that blew our minds, yet another art gallery and finally dinner.
What an action-packed day we had!
What amazing floor tiles, and so many of them. That is one of things I missed my last trip to London. I'll have to return, I guess. Darn it.
Robyn, you really MUST come back again. We had such a tiny amount of time together and there is so much more to see and do.
I think you should sell up and move here so we can enjoy London (and Norfolk) at our leisure.
Too fun! I'm so glad you got full pictures of the mosaics at Canary Wharf. I didn't get any of the verbiage around the edges of the centre mosaics. I'm so happy that you'll now be looking for mosaics everywhere. Once you turn on the radar, it never goes off! I've spent all day outside in Paris enjoying another gorgeous sunny warm day. Too bad you weren't here with me to let me show you around an area that I know well, especially after you did such an excellent job showing me around. I can't wait to show you Paris next year!
Hi, Katie!
I managed to get most of the words and when you get home I can send you the full res photos so you will be able to read them all.
I had to laugh this morning while I was walking through the French Market, realising that I kept glancing up at the building façades to look for mosiacs. If I find any good ones I'll send them to you.
I am so looking forward meeting you in Paris next year! I told Joy about it over coffee this morning and got embarrassingly over-excited. Hey ho.
Your sunshine is still bathing England; it is lovely here today.
Another very fine post Dive. Amazing photos along with your excellent narrative. You would make a great tour guide. And that Katie is a shining example of beauty, brains and refinement. If we could only clone her. Im really going to hate it when your London series with the lovely and talented Katie comes to an end. I hope Katie makes a return visit soon.
Hmm … Cloning Katie …
You might be on to something there, Mark!
Your description of her is frighteningly accurate.
This is sounding like so much fun. I have no knowledge whatsoever about mosaics, but I want to come with you!
Thank you, Maria. We certainly had a grand day out.
I think I would have just skipped along beside you and watched the two of you discovering and discussing every great bit of scenery you took in. sigh
It's a beautiful thing. :D
p.s. That turtle bit almost interrupted my squeals of delight. eeek ;)
Shan, it was indeed a beautiful day.
And the turtle bit is nowhere near the grossest thing in Mrs. Beeton. The modern re-prints leave all the good stuff out. There is a section called "Colonial Cuisine", featuring early nineteenth century backwoods recipes from Australia, Canada, the US, Africa and India and some of the things in there you REALLY don't want to hear about.
Hungry people will put the strangest things into their mouths. Hee hee.
Gosh Dive - i don't know how you do it - tour guide supremo and photo journalist extremo - what can't you do?????
Dive and Katie,
Thanks for the field trip on the mosaics of London! Very informative and inspiring. I want my students to create some mosaics now. What a beautiful blue sky in London! I didn't think that happened much over there.
Sunday 12:01 AM i'll say no more! xoxox
Jules: I can't get a girlfriend!
D'oh!
Neetzy: Katie brought the sunshine with her from San Francisco. We are very grateful!
Savannah: You've lost me there, but I do love the photo you left for me! Hee hee.
And hey, the MITM will get back on my fiftieth birthday (or within a day or so), so while this month crawls for you, it will disappear in a reluctant flash for me.
I'll swap months with you.
xoxox
Love the mosaics! And I can see that Katie was relishing every moment she had with you. Apart from traipsing all over the city, what else did the two of you kids get up to, eh?
When I was at Totthenham Court station on Friday, all I could think of was going home to Norwich! Londoners drive me crazy on a Friday.
Joy, who WOULDN'T relish every moment spent with me?
Don't answer that!
Hee hee hee.
Ick! London on a Friday sucks. All the people who stay there for the week head home for the weekend so it's standing room only on the trains.
Post a Comment