As I said yesterday we were making our way from her hotel to Tate Modern to see the much anticipated Rothko exhibition but then Katie revealed that she was on a Lara Croft style mosaic hunt, so as we were but a hundred yards from the British Museum we moseyed on in there to head for the Roman rooms.
London is a great place to tear up your plans and improvise your itinerary on the fly, which is just what we did for the rest of the trip and it was much more fun that way.
You've seen so many of my British Museum posts (including some only recently with the delightful Mme and MB) that we'll skip the Rosetta Stone and the usual suspects … yadda, yadda, yadda … and only allow ourselves to get sidetracked by my superstitious habit of always visiting my favourite horsie in the Elgin Marbles Gallery, here being introduced to Katie.You'll notice that Katie bought a shiny, waterproof bag "specifically for London". A wise move, though it didn't take her long to bring sunshine to our grey city.
Ah, Mosaics!We would be eating most of this lot the next day.
The seafood; not the mosaic - that's just a little too crunchy.
As it turns out, the best mosaics are between the Roman and Greek wings in the stairwell.Like so many people I have passed these dozens of times and never really stopped to appreciate them.
Not any more!I had with me an expert mosaicist and enjoyed a wonderful, two day crash course in the history and techniques of mosaics from a fantastic teacher.
Here Katie demonstrates how to look completely … er … sane beside a mosaic of Phobos (fear).
I shan't post all of the mosaics as we photographed dozens of them, but I'll be sending the CDs of all of them to Katie so she can do a special mosaic series of posts (she knows so much more about them than I).
Fortunately for us the BM allows flash photography, otherwise I think that scary, fanged monkey thing on the wall behind Katie might have attacked us.
You simply must click on this one to enlarge it.We'd left the British Museum and had reached the Thames. Wandering along the embankment we stopped beside Cleopatra's Needle and I turned and snapped Katie gazing up at it with the Houses of Parliament in the distance.
Only when I downloaded the photographs did I notice the girl with her finger rammed up the sphinx's nose. Hee hee.
Here is our heroine much further along the Embankment at Saint Paul's. We were crossing the Wibbly-Wobbly Bridge and getting all excited at the prospect of our imminent Rothko-fest (justifiably, it turned out).I know this is a classic touristy shot but it is a classic for a reason.
As we were attempting to take another classic touristy shot with Tower Bridge in the background, the weather finally decided to listen to the forecasters …
… and things got a little blustery and wet.So we legged it pronto into the shelter of Tate Modern.
We were not allowed to take photos in the Rothko exhibition, which is a great shame as it is truly awesome.
It was a pure delight to be able to experience something as glorious as this show with a person who was equally as excited and knowledgeable and who could appreciate just what we were seeing.
I scanned this from the catalogue. It shows some of the Seagram murals in a smaller room at the Tate when they were trying to sort out the hanging arrangements and of course doesn't do justice to the monumental final hanging in the big room.Back in '58 (when Old Dive was born), Rothko was commissioned to paint a series of vast murals for New York's Seagram building on Park Avenue.
These ended up never being installed and on his death nine of them were bequeathed to the Tate with some cryptic notes on how they might be displayed.
A couple more went to Japan's Kawamura Gallery and to the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC. They disappeared from public view and into legend; a holy grail for art lovers around the world.
It has taken decades to prepare and arrange just the one central room in this show. It displays eight of the Tate's nine Seagram murals together with those from Japan and Washington.
Katie and I spent most of the day in there, gazing, open-mouthed with wonder at these legendary and monumental masterpieces which are never likely to be seen together again in our lifetime.
To say the experience was awesome doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. This was a once-in-a-lifetime event for two people who were only too well aware of just what it was that we were witnessing.
At the Tate show, in addition to the Seagram room there are eight more rooms full of late Rothko paintings including 1964, No.1 - Black on maroon which I must confess got me more excited than any painting I have seen in decades.
I was totally blown away by it and spent ages absorbing every last detail. Inevitably this scan looks nothing like it. The real thing glows from within and looks like it is miles deep.
The black central panel is underpainted with several layers of reds and the longer you look at it the more it glows and the deeper it becomes. The maroon - almost black at first sight - is rich and velvet-textured with smaller, careful brushmarks and the whole thing draws you in hypnotically.
It is hugely powerful and almost erotically intense. I could have stood in front of it and gazed forever.
We stared at them for hours, drawn in by their beauty. It was an epiphany; the closest a Godless heathen such as myself can get to a spiritual experience. These pieces are stunning and simply must be appreciated in person.
Wonderful as the other eight rooms were, we were drawn back again and again to the central gallery to experience the Seagram Murals in all their glory.
I cannot say it forcefully enough. If you get even the remotest chance, go and see this exhibition before it closes on Feb 1st next year! You'll only get one chance in this lifetime and believe me it is worth it.
Afterwards, we sat in the balcony coffee bar gazing across the river while the storm battered and lashed Saint Paul's on the far bank, our minds still reeling with wonder at what we had seen; chattering away like excited kids.Katie lost a wrestling match with a shortbread wrapper. Boy, that shortbread did not want to be eaten!
And then we were off into the wild, grey weather, heading west for the V&A, where a cool exhibition of Cold War art and design awaited our eager perusal.We had spent so long with the Rothkos that we didn't have time to pop across the street from the V&A and see the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum but the links will take you to earlier posts I did from there so Katie can see what she missed.
It was Katie who spotted this spiffy Dale Chihuly glass sculpture in the foyer. I hadn't realised he had a piece in the country; the last time I'd seen one was a few years ago when he made a temporary installation for Kew Gardens.The Cold War exhibition was great fun! Again, no photography allowed, however, so poo on the V&A curators for that. You'll have to make do with my description.
I often say it because it's true: I miss the Cold War.
There was a kind of romance to knowing that every minute could be your last.
If you want a good chuckle (and an hilarious photo of mum, Phil and me), take a look at this post and read about our own little contribution to Mutually Assured Destruction and what the Cold War was actually like to live through.
The exhibition brings it all flooding back. I'm like a kid in a candy store; Katie (who is too young to remember) watching bemused as I repeatedly point and yell "We had one of those!" and "Woah! Cool!" at just about everything.
Tricky Dicky looks so young in that 1959 debate with Kruschev about … er … kitchens. I bought myself a new kitchen pinny with the two of them on it and Kruschev's slogan "We Do Not Have The Capitalist Attitude Toward Women" Hee hee.
Oh, my! I almost blew hundreds of pounds on a signed sketch by Ken Adam of his design for the War Room in Doctor Strangelove (which of course was showing on one of the many screens).
There were so many cool things! From gloriously kitsch household appliances, through East German cars (the wonderful VEB P70 coupé in immaculate condition) to spacesuits and plastic and metal minidresses and artworks and videos and Saarinen chairs and early computers and plastic crockery and propaganda art and a 1964 Cuban movie made to entice Russians to emigrate that Katie had actually once sat and watched (¡Soy Cuba!).
To wander through this tacky Commie wonderland of my childhood with an übercool Berkeley chick was Heaven on toast with chocolate sauce.
And of course there were lots of postcards in the shop which Katie devoured. Keep checking her blog for them!
Much, much more tomorrow … when at last the California sunshine catches up with Katie and we hit the sights!
Miss it and I'll slap you.
Hard!
30 comments:
A delightfully detailed and highly entertaining entry, Dive. Thanks for giving us all such a memorable image of your (and Katie's) adventures. As bad as things are on the economic front, I still hope to get to see both the Rothko and Bacon shows in London, and I have to say that your (and Katie's) response to the former has had the welcome effect of making me even more determined to do so!
Lucio, welcome!
If you get the chance, go see both. Katie's not a Bacon fan but I've been to that show and believe me, it does not disappoint.
If you're quick, Martin Creed's latest work is still going on in the main gallery at Tate Britain, too.
Plus there's a new Warhol exhibition just opened and a glorious Miro, Calder, Giacometti and Braque show at the Royal Academy on Piccadilly (more of which later).
Thanks for popping by.
Dive I'm so glad you're such a fabulous writer, because your description of the Rothko exhibit is so perfect. I could never have figured out how to express in writing how much I was awed and moved by those paintings. If people ask me about it, I'll just send them here to read about, and weep if they won't be able to see the exhibit. Lucio sorry I wasn't up for Bacon (although I had some with my English Breakfast along with a fried egg, beans and tomato), but I'm sure Dive would be up for doing a Bacon post at some point.
Love the chick sticking her finger up the nose of the Sphinx. Classic!!
Hi, Katie!
I'm a crappy writer but that exhibition was so mind-blowing! I'm so lucky to have been able to share such an awesome experience with someone who could really appreciate it. Having you there made it even better, bouncing ideas and observations off one another (as well as just standing there gawping in wonder at it all … hee hee).
Bacon! Ha! that got everybody in the office starting at me for laughing out loud.
As for the nose-=picking girl; all I can say is that the English are weird.
Wow, there's so much here to comment on from the BM to the Cold War to a black painting. Honestly, Dive, your description of being absorbed in the exhibit of maroon and black painting was a work of art in itself.
I'll look forward to tomorrow's post.
Oh, Robyn. You should SEE it! In fact you MUST! Make some excuse to your husband and hop on a plane today. I'll meet you at the airport and we can hit the galleries together.
Oh Dive, you are just so special on so many levels; your incredible knowledge about history and art; your delightful appreciation of the absurd, the witty and the funny in the context of beauty; your penchant for things communistic; your incredible photography and even more incredible writing. Thank you dear and thank you Katie darling for having the interest in mosaics, art and the bravery to tackle a London storm too! Isn't our Dive just the best?
Ah, Mme! As the only way I'll ever be beautiful is in an absurd and witty manner I can indeed appreciate those delights.
I have been blessed this summer with visits from three of the most wonderful, warm, witty and truly beautiful people I have had the pleasure of meeting. My meanderings with yourselves and Katie are memories to treasure forever.
Dive, with all the depressing news happening, your blog is a brilliant patch of happiness that will stay with me. Your writing is so descriptive and I'm transported to the Rothko, to the V&A, to the streets of London and can just picture you and Katie having a whale of a time. Thank you!
Rose, you are too kind. But you should really see the crap that gets edited out of these before they get posted. Sheesh!
Hi, Cynthia! Katie and I deliberately avoided the news and stubbornly enjoyed ourselves instead.
Just wait until you see the beautiful setting where we ate lunch!
WOW! Let me say that again. WOW! What an enjoyable post to read. That must have been just a fabulous day of touring and sight seeing. Reading your descriptions made me feel like I was right there. Im glad you two had a great day. Katie rocks and so do you Dive. I cant wait to read the next chapter.
Thank you Mark; a day out with Katie cannot fail to be a WOW!
Our second day was even better as we enjoyed the beautiful California weather Katie had so kindly brought with her.
great post,dive. I enjoyed all the photos. You are a great host and an asset to the city of London.
Dive..?.....are you...in LURVE? ;)
You ARE an asset to London, for sure. I really feel that now you should join Daily Photo, perhaps on a separate blog. No-one could resist you! Ham does a London one of course, but there's someone else as well. London's big enough for three. ?
You're having such a wonderful time in these pics and the brilliant write-up, it's a joy to read. The Sphinx made me giggle. I have walked past that more times than I could recall, on the way back from the Temple when I was a barristers' clerk to Westminster where I'd pick up my lift with my first husband. Don't ask. Ohhhh the days....very happy ones. thing is, I didn't really stop enough to look at all this stuff in detail, it was a brisk march. I regret that now, and I regret not having had my camera in my bag. Sigh. Lovely to see it again though, thanks.
Katie looks very relaxed in your company Dive. I'd love to come and do Bacon with you! Was relieved to see the word 'amble' but somehow I don't believe it. Your ground cover rate scares me to bits.
Rothko is marvellous of course but I've never actually seen one physically. The BBC once compared some of my work to Rothko. I almost fainted with delight. Yes it's searchable on Google, she boasted. LOL ! Oh do say there's more, I simply can't wait. Where tomorrow I wonder? Tea with Liz? I know that would be high on your priority list... he he!
A slap if we don't turn up tomorrow? I'll see you the day after then. LOL !! Oh that's just wrong.
By the way, more tongue tantalising going on over at mine.
I wonder what that woman found in the sphinx's nose?
Sounds like you two had a great time! Thanks for sharing the fun with us too!
Rich: I think the word you were looking for is an "ass" rather than an asset. Hee hee.
Lynn … er … no.
Much as I enjoy Daily Photo I really only have time to flick through half a dozen most days and I definitely don't have the time to actually participate! The PDPers are awesomely dedicated and I'm just a lazy-assed fool.
We did indeed have a wonderful time and (confession time) we talked about you as we strolled past Temple Bar and how this used to be your patch. Katie works in law and I think a branch of her company is hidden away in there.
"I'd love to come and do Bacon with you."
Hee hee hee!
I've never heard it called THAT before!
Oh, my!
Sorry, Lynn. I got a case of the giggles just then.
I remember seeing (and loving) your paintings in one of the nationals (it would have been either the Times or the Guardian) long before we started blogging and the shock of recognition on seeing it on your painting blog.
That was so cool!
And we didn't do tea with Frau Liz but I did take a sunset over the Parasite House photo for you which will appear - somewhat predictably - after I've posted all the sunny photos.
I'll pop across and see what mayhem you are brewing on your blog.
Shazza: It looks like she found a finger.
Lots more fun to come.
Right now though I am pooped. Just home from a crappy train journey. I'll whiz round a few blogs and hit the sack.
Ah thanks Dive, that's very lovely of you. Maybe the Guardian.
I'm so touched you should both think of me at The Temple! So you went there for me as I can't at the moment, really. How lovely. I like that idea.
Erm.. Is it de rigeur to giggle whilst doing Bacon? I'm not so sure. :)
Lynn, I think about you every day when I walk past there. One day we'll have to wander around the area and you can dish the dirt and give me all the goss! Hee hee.
Giggling during bacon is kind of off-putting.
LOL! Oh dear, now you've said that, I'm sure that whilst doing Bacon, I am simply DESTINED to giggle. Eek!
Really, I'm very touched Dive, that you think of me. I could tell you some goss yes... he he!
Dive
Certainly you know: "Si le nez de Cléopatre avait été plus long,cela
aurait changé la face du monde"!!!
Ah women!!!
Wow - i really feel like i spent the day with you both. Even my feet are tired - how weird is that????
I wish I was with you! The Rothko I've seen (at the U.S. National Gallery) has been mixed in with the "color field" painters which does not do justice to Rothko at all. I wish I could instantly travel to London to see this wonderful exhibit. Flue powder would be nice?
Anonymous: The Romans had a thing for big noses so I very much doubt it would have changed much. Hee hee.
Excellent quote though!
Jules: you'll have to stop reading these on the treadmill.
Neetzy: I wish you were with me, too!
Seeing that Rothko nestled amongst its brothers and sisters in the arrangement the man himself intended really blows you clean out of your socks!
Individually those paintings are powerful but put them together like that and the effect is truly staggering.
And in case you're wondering what I'm doing blogging at three in the morning, I can't sleep.
I hate that, especially on a day when I don't have to set the alarms.
Bummer.
After reading your posts, I am just...green with envy. Ah. It sounded so so very fun.
More fun than a busload of monkeys let loose in a nunnery, Maria.
I for one cannot wait to read the next installment so no slapping needed! Besides, I might slap back! :-)
Oooh! feisty!
Hee hee. Sorry, Cali.
The next installment is up and running and ready for your perusal.
Very artsy-fartsy :D "Tickets for the Dive tour now selling at £20 a day. Purchase two or more and get a huge discount!"
London is just one incredible city! One can easily lose themselves in it - but with you around of course, there's plenty of lovely things to discover and experience. Looks like it was a wonderful ambling!
Hee hee, Joy! I never thought of that; I could start charging!
The ambling was indeed wonderful.
Post a Comment