Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Katie And Dive Do London Pt.6

In today's post, Katie and Dive find the last mosaics on our list and they don't disappoint us.
Dive also gets a teensy bit sweary and offensive (so what's new?), so be warned; you might just want to look at the pictures instead of reading.

Leaving Downing Street - where we finished up yesterday - to be refurbished by Murphy's the builders, we amble back across Parliament Square (for the umpteenth but not the last time) and wander off toward Victoria, stopping on our way at Broad Sanctuary to photograph this …

Yup: tourist time again, it's Westminster Abbey of course.
Robyn should recognise this scene as it is right there on the corner behind those taxis that we first met. And of course Mme. and MB, who I dragged here on our way to the Eye.

Toddling off along Victoria Street in the direction of New Scotland Yard Katie points out this spiffy window display and we pose for a photo together (the only one we've got, so make the most of it).

A little further along the street I get jittery as Strutton Ground market appears on the left (my office is just down there).
Suppressing a shudder at the sudden urge to pop in and check my emails we soldier on until we come to a large square, at the back of which glowers the bizarro façade of the most incongruous looking Christian church you're ever likely to see: the snappily named Metropolitan Cathedral Of The Precious Blood, known to most as Westminster Cathedral, London's Roman Catholic mothership.

I've walked past this startling edifice twice a day for more years than most people have been alive but until today I have never ventured inside.
Thanks to Katie's mosaic quest I am about to be surprised and delighted.

By the way, just off to the left of this photo lurk the inevitable Murphy's builders vans.
This beautiful Cathedral was built just over a hundred years ago, at the tail end of Europe's fascination with all things Byzantine.
With its huge dome - modelled on Hagia Sophia - it looks to today's eyes to be Islamic, but of course Hagia Sophia was originally a Christian church and this building (conceived at a time when Islamic culture was rightly admired rather than ignorantly feared) was intended to hark back to the glory days of Christian Constantinople, seat of the Holy Roman Empire before the revelations of the Prophet.

The mosaic above the entrance is impressive enough, but what greets us inside is astonishing.

It soon dawns on us that this church is very much a work in progress (and not just because Murphy's the builders are knocking the shit out of it).
Even though the structure is over a hundred years old, around half of the interior is still bare brickwork - a tabula rasa awaiting decoration - soot-blackened from decades of candle-flames.
Every few years, somebody bequeaths enough money to install another section of mosaic and when this work is completed - at least a hundred years hence - the effect will be magnificent beyond words.

Whatever your views on the Catholic Church, you have to admit that the sale of indulgences has resulted - if nothing else - in some fabulous artworks.
And apologies to any Catholics who may be reading this but I've spent quite enough time laying into American Christian fundamentalists (sorry, Shan), so now it's your turn.
Question: What is it with earthly redemption from sin? I've never quite been able to grasp that concept.
I can appreciate transubstantiation - not of course in any physical way but in the way a person's belief can transcend reality for them; but having your sins forgiven by a man? That's just too much to swallow.

From my readings of The Bible it seems to go like this:
You sin; you wait for God to judge you and in all likelihood you go to Hell … at least you do if you believe in all that Heaven and Hell stuff that I was brainwashed with as a kid.

But who on earth came up with the idea that you can sin and then go fess up about it to some creepy guy hiding in a box who may well be raping your children in his spare time and who'll have you believe that he'll intercede personally with God on your behalf if you recite a few pat phrases?
Sweet cheeses of Nazareth, what a fucked up world we live in.

But holy moley; what a great money-making idea the sale of indulgences was … I can picture Pope Leo X grinning to himself as he declared to a delighted aristocracy: "No matter how vicious, cruel and barbaric you are; no matter how sinful and debauched you murdering, raping and thieving utterly shitty bastards may be; if you give me lots and lots of money you can go straight to Heaven!"

So Europe's mediæval Catholic rulers taxed and robbed the people blind to pay for magnificent chapels to their own glory whilst Leo and the Borgia Popes partied until they shat gold (extracted from "Old Dive's History Of Moaning At The Godbotherers, Vol.2"), all of which kinda gave the Catholic Church a bad name.

Katie soon points out a mosaic panel pleading "Pray for the donor", and indeed most of the side chapels seem dedicated to some obscenely rich and rapacious dickhead trying to buy forgiveness for their life of sin with a token "good work" (a bit like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation … Listen up, Bill: no amount of charity work will ever atone for selling people "Windows" … Oh, the suffering you have caused).
Panel after panel of beautiful mosaic exhorts us to pray for the soul of someone loathsome.

But at least the mosaics that all these greedy and grasping sucklers at the filthy teat of Mammon have left us are pretty bloody awesome!

Hokay, I shall stop knocking the Godbotherers and the "aristocracy" (for a moment) and step back to admire the beautiful works of art that surround us.

These golden mosaics are not glass tesseræ applied over gold leaf - as at Ravenna - but little blocks of gold-leaf-encrusted stone and tile pressed into a wet base.

Katie can tell you much more about the history and the techniques involved.
She explains a lot to me, pointing out how this method gives a deliberately uneven finish that causes the tesseræ to catch the sunlight and the flickering candles in a myriad different ways and - you have to go there and see for yourself to get the true, breathtaking effect - makes the whole lot glitter fabulously.

Unfortunately I forget most of what Katie teaches me as each new chapel finds me gazing, mouth agape in wonder at the sheer beauty of the mosaics and the unbelievable amount of work involved in creating them.

As each new scene is revealed I also have considerable trouble keeping the words "Holy crap!" from flying out of my mouth in front of the smattering of worshippers bent in prayer and contemplation.

Katie points out one figure in particular (regrettably in a nook too dark to photograph), commenting on what a "hot chick" she is.
Inevitably this turns out to be Mary Magdalen and hot she undoubtedly is!
Whooee! Whoever made that panel must have got pretty steamed up while they did it!
This diaphanous vision of Art Nouveau erotic beauty is located (for the curious) around halfway along the right aisle but on a section of wall facing forward toward the altar so any horny member of the congregation would have to crane their neck all the way around to check it out and would therefore be spotted straight away; the priest's voice bellowing out "And if Mister Dive would care to tear his eyes away from the obvious delights of Ms. Magdalen for a moment I am sure we would all be most grateful for his attention."

All things considered I have to admit that this wildly overindulgent display of obscene wealth is a much prettier and longer-lasting way to waste mountains of money than bailing out a load of fatcat bankers.

And so we take our leave (via the shop, where Katie stocks up on postcards) and wander down the side of the Cathedral, past Winston Churchill's old London flat (just behind us in this photo).
During the early part of the Blitz, Winnie would sit up on the roof here in the evenings (often with various dinner guests, including Roosevelt long before the US joined the fight), reclining in his deckchair and fortified with a bottle of brandy and a fat cigar as he angrily watched the East End getting bombed to oblivion and drafted his speeches of defiance.

At the bottom of the road is my office, which we carefully skirt, only stopping for a moment to wave to Fernando the security guy before heading back toward the river and … well, you shall see tomorrow in what shall be - extremely regrettably - my last Katie and Dive post (at least for this year).

37 comments:

Alifan said...

Hokey.. I did not read the script, but oh what a beautiful beautiful church......We saw some wonderful churches in Malta, but this one is lovely.. thank you....

dive said...

Hee hee. It was only a bit of a sideswipe at the Godbotherers.

I wonder where I got that from?
I seem to remember when I was a kid leaving Andy Warhol's book about the Factory years on my bed and getting home from school to find you brandishing it at me and yelling all sorts of imprecations about Catholicism.
I had to explain to you that the title "POPISM" was about pop art and that I was not becoming a Papist.
Hee hee hee.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Dive, how could you possibly think of giving up on blogging? Now THAT would be a sin!!!

Not only were the pictures amazing but the story kept me laughing and chuckling from start to end. What a joy! Bring it on dive, this is heaven on earth!

dive said...

Thank you so much, Nathalie. You are too kind.
Unfortunatley, tomorrow's post will be the final one in this series so I'll be back to my ranty,offensive self after that.

Volmon said...

For various reasons, this is my favourite Divie (can't let Branjelina have all the fun, can we?) post so far. I learned about a fascinating London landmark that was completely new to me and, like Nathalie, had a good old laugh in the process. I'll never love England's capital as much as I love France's, but today I find myself liking it just that little bit more than I did yesterday. Toodle pip!

dive said...

Thank you, Lucio! Hee hee. I'm not sure which I'd use: "Divie" or "Kite".

If fortune smiles I shall be meeting Katie in Paris this time next year.
I can't wait!

Volmon said...

If your posts from Paris are as entertaining as those from London have been, it will be a treat for us all! À bientôt!

Joy said...

I'm not gonna say much about Catholicism - except that many of the priests and bishops and archbishops today (and yesteryears) do not really do the religion credit. Moving on...

You promised you'd take me to this church, too, and I look forward to it. This is truly beautiful.

dive said...

Cheers, Lucio. I'm aslready counting down the weeks.

Joy: you will LOVE this beautiful building! Unfortunately the builders have scaffolded all of the main church and are banging away up there so we cannot see the dome, but the rest of it is breathtaking!
While the building work is going on there are chapels set aside for prayer and contemplation (which we did not photograph out of respect).
Let me know when you want to visit!

Anonymous said...

It was good to see the ranty Dive back in action--this is really a "blogs collide" posting. What a place.

I wrote to my old army (WWII) friend about morale boosting for the troops, but he didn't mention anything like fake breasts. And he would have, too, if they'd had them. Too bad. He was just glad to be left alone and to come home alive from the European theater.

Can't wait for the last, regrettably, installment. Thank for you doing all this. And Paris next year? As you say, whoohoo.

dive said...

Woohoo indeed, Lupine Lady! I can't wait.

It's a pity your friend was deprived of such a morale-boosting apparatus. I wonder just which troops received them? And I wonder even more about who on earth thought up the idea!

Scout said...

Pray for the donor! classic. The cathedral is amazing. I suspect you'll be spending more time there from now on, Dive. And will it become a stop for your future tourist visitors?

dive said...

I wonder if Catholic donor cards involve not just body parts but money for mosaics?

It's definitely a place worth visiting, Robyn.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I pretty much agree with you Dive about the earthly man giving absolution. However, I skirted much of the religion stuff. zzzz

The mosaics are stunning and I'm not a big fan!

I love the reflection shots you took. Gorgeous!

dive said...

Aww! The religion stuff is where I put all the jokes, Lynn!
Hee hee.
Glad you liked the mosaics. Aren't they something?
And the reflection shot was Katie's idea. I'm glad she suggested it as it is the only photo I have of the two of us.

MmeBenaut said...

Lynn, unskirt immediately! Dive's right, that's where all the fun is. LOL

Dive, this is truly magnificent and I thank you and Katie for dragging you inside. I have photos of this building from 1982 but when I took them then, I didn't go inside either - as a non-Catholic, I would never have set foot inside a Catholic church then. This last trip to France and Florence in Italy in particular saw me see the inside of so many Catholic churches that I can't count them all on two hands (would I even bother?) but they were all beautiful, even the simplest. It is therefore no mystery at all why religion has had (and still has to some extent) such a tight grip on the minds of the "people" for so many centuries. Such displays of wealth were beyond individuals or even governments so the attaining mind of man equates heaven with golden lustre.

One does have to admire the skill of the mosaic artisans though. Wow, what incredible patience.

Can't wait for tomorrow ...

dive said...

Mme, you are so right (as always).
And indeed, the fact that I am not RC should never have prevented me going in here for all those years; after all, I am not a Muslim but am quite happy visiting mosques.

As for ordering Lynn to "unskirt" … Hee hee.

Cynthia said...

Oh my gosh, what breathtaking mosiacs; your photos are amazing. I can just imagine what they looked like in person!

Love your rants...let me know when you feel strongly about something! ;-)

Sad that part 7 on Katie & Dive do London will be the final one BUT, Paris next year...what a hoot. Thanks so much!

dive said...

Cynthia, those mosaics glowed and flickered and sparkled in the candle-light. They are a truly magical sight and well worth visiting.

I had to considerably water down my rant for this post. Maybe I'll use parts of it another day.

And - sigh - I've just finished writing tomorrow's final post in the series and am feeling in need of chocolate consolation.

savannah said...

as many times as i've been to london, i've never gone into westminster abbey - thanks for the tour, sugar! xoxo

(october in paris, eh? maybe...)

Anonymous said...

So Dive. How do you really feel about the Catholic Church? You have to learn to express yourself. lol I was sure a bolt of lightning was headed toward your arse as you entered the Cathedral. Good thing that you had the saintly Katie close by. Good thinking on your part. Those photos are absolutely stunning and Im sure the place is even more impressive in person. London must be a sightseer's paradise. You and Katie made memories that will last a lifetime. Another great post. As usual. Cant wait for the finale. Im sure you wont disappoint.

dive said...

That's not Westminster Abbey, Savannah. Hee hee. We only photographed the outside of that one.
The mosaics are in the Roman Catholic Cathedral just down the road.

I remember touring Westminster Abbey last year with Robyn. The thing that kept bugging me all the time was "Sheesh! Somebody BADLY needs to run a duster around this place!"
It was FILTHY!
xoxox

dive said...

Hee hee, Mark.
I had to tone down my rant considerably, remembering how Knudsen almost got his blog shut down after badmouthing them.
Boy, are they touchy!

You really need at least a year living in London to see the essentials.

And God seems to have lost His touch with the old "SMITE" button. I've seen a lot of lightning hit the ground but so far He's not got within ten feet of me.
If I go missing, check the frazzled pile of charcoal.

Joy said...

I'm pleased there are chapels set aside for praying and meditation. I'm thinking I should be down in London on the 20th of November - if the Passport Service and the Post Office do their jobs right. That's the day I become a dual citizen! Yay.

Don't know what it is about Catholic churches - but they do tend to be pretty.

I find that churches in Norfolk tend to look the same - if you know what I mean.

Shan said...

"All things considered I have to admit that this wildly overindulgent display of obscene wealth is a much prettier and longer-lasting way to waste mountains of money than bailing out a load of fatcat bankers."

Ding, Ding, Ding! You have just agreed with The Shan on a God-bothering post!!! And it even involved GOVERNMENT!!! How can this be? I stand amazed. :D

HE is certainly worthy of such adornment but something tells me the gorgeous artwork in these types of churches is of a more selfish nature. That money would have fed a nation!


As for the corruption of man thinking he must interject himself between God and sinner, we require no intercessor to be forgiven or be in good graces with the Lord. Pride is indeed a clever master, and in the highest ranks, it is nearly unstoppable! Counsel is one thing but I'm so glad I don't rely on another human for repentance.

As far as you taunting the Big Guy Dive, you are on your own there too.

Oops, this wasn't even for me to comment on! See what you bring with your thought provoking, cleverly worded posts! The side windows bust a gut with gushing and opinions!

It always gets interesting when you speak your mind, though you didn't really manage sweary and offensive to the level I was prepared for (probably due to the agreeable comment above ;).

Don't you wish you had ask someone to take your and Katie's (Divie/Kite-barhar!) picture together? Ah man! At least you got the reflective one which is appropriate as you've done much of that these last few posts. ;)

Maybe you need to hit the fancy chocolates store on the way home and get yourself a bittersweet consolation frog. Bye!

dive said...

D'oh!
I'll miss you n the twentieth, Joy, as that's a Thursday so I'll be in Norfolk.
But yay for you! Dual citizenship at last! Well done!

The Norfolk churches are mostly late Saxon through to late decorated gothic and the Victorians ruined them by whitewashing the interiors and covering up the lovely artwork, which is only now being discovered again.

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to reconcile the beauty of places of worship (and other magnificient buildings)with the often ugly circumstances of how they came to be. Maybe that applies to life in general? You are making me think and I am at work and that is not supposed to happen here! ;-)

Thought provoking post, photos and mosaics.

dive said...

Hi, Shan!
It's kinda nice to pick on another denomination for a change. Hee hee.

It always kinda bugs the Socialist in me, looking at beautiful mediæval artworks and wondering just how many thousands of lives were ruined so that one rich, exploitative bastard could have something nice on their wall or add a chapel to a local church with their own name on it.
These mosaics are all modern, though, so I can get even crankier about crapitalist exploiters paying for monuments to their own vanity rather than that money being used for the good of the community.

It tickles me to find Americans feeling that way about misappropriation of money by the rich, especially as some people over there are calling Obama a Socialist (when we Socialists regard him as WAAY right of centre).

They're pretty mosaics, though.

As for consolation, that Green and Black's Maya Gold bar is gonna suffer when I open it.

Cali: Most of what I just said to Shan chimes in pretty well with your comment, too.

I think I'm cranky because I miss Katie.
Hey ho.

Katie said...

Dive it's so much fun to relive the "Two Godless Heathens Visit a RC Cathedral" experience! And I had to laugh at Mark's desciption of me as saintly. HA! Your mosaic photos are fantastic! I hope my photos are half as good. And we were such idiots to not get someone to take a photo of both of us. D'oh!! I so miss hanging out with you too; luckily I can pop over to London anytime I want and reread your posts!

dive said...

Hee hee, Katie! Godless Heathens indeed.
I am so glad those photos came out. Several of them were too blurry to use as it was too dark but a couple of them are pretty sharp.

I can't wait to see more of your photos. The ones I saw of your French and Italian adventures were fantastic!

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

This is truly great stuff, Dive. It's a bit like being on yours and katie's honeymoon with you. Tee hee. I'm getting a feeling about this one, dive.

dive said...

Hee hee, Rich!
Blogville is NOT a dating website; otherwise I'd have asked you out ages ago!

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

From my readings of The Bible it seems to go like this:
You sin; you wait for God to judge you and in all likelihood you go to Hell … at least you do if you believe in all that Heaven and Hell stuff that I was brainwashed with as a kid.

But who on earth came up with the idea that you can sin and then go fess up about it to some creepy guy hiding in a box who may well be raping your children in his spare time and who'll have you believe that he'll intercede personally with God on your behalf if you recite a few pat phrases?
Sweet cheeses of Nazareth, what a fucked up world we live in.

THIS will go down as the quote of the century,Dive. hee hee

dive said...

I don't know, Rich. I think that old Nazi Ratzinger might order a hit on me.
Roberto Calvi, the Vatican banker ended up hanging from Blackfriar's Bridge with his pockets full of bricks; now Ratzinger has wangled the Pope job I can see me sleeping with the fishes.
Brr!

Maria said...

If you get a chance, Dive...you should pick up this month's issue of Mother Jones. There is an article with Bill Maher in there that hits on a lot of this shit and it made me laugh and nearly choke on my dinner roll at lunch today....

There is also a nifty little article on Magicians for Jesus in there, complete with a scarf that comes out of a magic hat with the sorrowful face of Jesus on it...priceless....

neetzy said...

Dive,
Hah! I must agree with Rich on the "quote of the century". I had much fun reading both your reverent and irreverent descriptions. I like the irreverent ones best! Keep it up! I feel the beat of a kindred spirit!

dive said...

Magicians for Jesus?
Oh, my!
There's a whole world of rubber room out there that I've yet to discover.
Thank you, Maria!

And thank you Neetzy, too. I've never been much of a fan of reverence.