Monday, October 13, 2008

Katie And Dive Do London Pt.5

Yay! We're still at it, pounding the streets of London, mile after mile.
Never try to walk the feet off a swim team girl; it just can't be done. Katie is as fresh at the end of the second evening as she was when she stepped off the train the morning of the day before.

Having left the Miró exhibition and wandered across Piccadilly Circus we reach the bottom of Haymarket and turn aside into Waterloo Place, where Katie photographs a statue of someone (there are so many statues there that I can't remember who it was) with whom she shares a birthday.

The statue behind her celebrates a famous episode where a woman dressed in some sheets defeated some soldiers in silly hats by throwing quoits over their rifles … or something.

Anyhoo; it's mosaics we are hunting now and the next one on the list is just behind this chap standing on his column.
Oh, looky! Trafalgar Square! We can play tourists!

The mosaic we are looking for is located on the third landing inside the entrance hall of this building: The National Gallery.
It is "The Awakening of the Muses", a marble mosaic by Russian artist Boris Anrep, installed in 1933.
This mosaic has a link to where Katie is staying in her chic little Bloomsbury hotel as Anrep was chummy with the Bloomsbury Group and used his friends as models in this mosaic.
Melpomene is - oddly - Greta Garbo, but the others are Bloomsbury folk, including Virginia Woolf as Clio and Clive Bell as Bacchus.

Unfortunately, as we enter, a uniformed security flunkey is bellowing "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" at some hapless and quivering tourists so we shrug our shoulders and go look at the mosaic anyway.

Never one to willingly obey authority - especially when it's shouty - I sneak off a shot from behind a column but it is too blurry and turns out to show mostly legs.
Well; nothing ventured, nothing gained: I approach the friendliest-looking security guard, a nice middle-aged lady who shakes her head and tells me that nobody is allowed to take photographs.
Hoorah for nice middle-aged ladies, as she follows this by dropping her voice and telling me "If there's no-one looking I can't see it will do any harm … Be quick!"

So Katie and I take sneaky photos from opposite ends of the landing, the nice security lady watching out for the shouty guard. Hopefully both photos will give a decent account of the mosaic.

This is the view from the front door of The National Gallery, looking across Trafalgar Square and down Whitehall toward Parliament (you can make out Big Ben in the distance).
We'll be heading back that way in a few minutes, but first let us enjoy the square in the sunshine.

As we walk down the gallery steps Wren's church of Saint Martin greets us on the left and it appears we are not the only ones revelling in this wonderful weather.

One sign that it is indeed October is the fact that the fountains are not full of drunken tourists.

I do like this shot. The fountain looks good backlit … and Katie looks good in any light.

I still can't believe all this glorious sunshine! Woohoo!

Looks like that statue is destined to appear on Katie's blog before much longer.

Yet another gratuitously touristy photograph. Katie with Nelson's Column … and a particularly filthy London bus.

Old Horatio's been given a wash and brush-up lately; usually he's covered in pigeon poop.

Hokay … Some back-story: Earlier, Katie stops to photograph a Murphy's builders' lorry (her surname shows her part-Irish ancestry) and I regale her with the history of Irish navvies (navigators) who came over to build the canals, stayed to build the railways and who now run our building industry in a charming manner not unlike that of Tony Soprano.
So everywhere we look there are Murphy's builders.
This one is on Whitehall at the entrance to Horseguards.

And this is the entrance to Downing Street. After decades of trying to blow it up, the Irish are now renovating it.
Ah, the dividends of peace …

In tomorrow's post we shall gaze in awe at the astonishing mosaics inside St.Paul's Westminster, London's Roman Catholic Cathedral.
Normally we would not be allowed to take photographs in there but they are currently undergoing some major building works and the place is filled with scaffolding and … you guessed it … Murphy's builders.

See you there.

27 comments:

Alifan said...

Another great post....you certainly had such good weather...Katie good job you are fit!

Katie said...

So glad your sneaky mosaic photo turned out! Not sure about mine. The weather is turning a bit cloudy in Paris; so thrilled we had that nice sun in London!

Rosie said...

I had completely forgotten about that mosaic in the National Gallery.
It is so wonderful, isn't it?

Joy said...

You know what you should have done? You should have pretended to be honeymooners from the US (you can fake a Californian accent, can't you?) and said this had always been your dream so a quick photo was all you wanted as a reminder of your wonderful trip to London. Hehe.

dive said...

Mum: I could have dragged Katie 25 miles a day for a week and she would still have been fresh as a daisy.
I put it down to that San Francisco sunshine (and all the hills there).

Hey, Katie; the sun's still shining here but it's due to turn cloudier now you've headed south.
I had to drop some stuff in at our structural engineer's office on Little Russell Street this morning and I must say, walking the streets of Bloomsbury without you feels kinda weird and empty.
Hey ho.

Rose: It sure is, but you should see what we've got for you tomorrow!

Joy: Hee hee. Americans are none too popular in London; we'd have been better pretending to be Canadian.
Fortunately the lady security guard was a lot nicer than the shouty man and so we got what we needed.

I can't fake US accents at all! I sound more Australian.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I'm exhausted! Wow I'm so enjoying these posts. I remember going to the Bloomsbury house - at Charleston - fascinating. Well worth a visit.

What I love about London when you're walking about is that you can often see all these landmarks and head where you want to go i.e. Big Ben in the distance there. Who needs a map?

Love your description of that statue! he he.

dive said...

You're right, Lynn.
London - at least Westminster - is like a village; you're never more than a few yards from something fun and everything is within easy walking distance.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I'll do each morning when you come to the end of this series. ..start over, I guess. This has been so interesting. It's hard to believe that all this was in only two days. Can't wait to see the next mosaics.

dive said...

I know how you feel, Lupine Lady. I shall be bereft when I run out of photos.
I'll simply have to look forward to this time next year in the hope of seeing Katie again in Paris (yay)!

Scout said...

And of course what you really meant was that Katie looks good in ANY light.

And it's good to see St. Marten's without all the scaffolding.

dive said...

She does indeed, Robyn; as do you.

And St.Martins looks a lot better for having all the pigeon crap and car exhaust soot cleaned off its façade.

savannah said...

y'all did sooooooo much in jut a couple of days, sugar! sounds a perfect trip to me! xoxoo

dive said...

We did cover rather a lot of ground, Savannah, and we're nowhere near done yet!
xoxox

Terroni said...

If it's a permanent installation, not part of a special exhibition, and you're not using your flash, you should be able to take pictures.

Those are museum rules.

Have your little gallery call me. I'll explain.

MmeBenaut said...

Hee hee Terroni. Always one with a solution! I'm loving these photos so much Dive because these are some of the trips that I would have also liked to see had we had more time and/or I'd been as fit as beautiful Katie. I do love the photo of Katie with the backlit fountain; that is one of your best shots and the comment made me smile, secretly!
We have a saying "Murphy's Law"; anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Now that's true Irish philosophy for you. lol

dive said...

We're talking England, T; home of officious and inadequate (in oh, so many ways) little dickheads in peaked caps who get their pathetic kicks bullying and shouting at innocent people.
It's how we built our Empire.

dive said...

Hi, Mme!
You would certainly have needed to be superfit to have covered the amount of miles Katie did!
Hee hee. Murphy's Law over here is "if it gets built in London, we build it."

Anonymous said...

That square, that fountain, that Katie! A nice way to begin my week of work.

The mosaic is mind boggling. How anyone can walk on it is beyond me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you and the beautiful and talented Katie I now have a greater appreciation of mosaics. The one in The National Gallery is absolutely stunning. To think that someone designed that piece by piece is mind boggling. I am so glad you "arranged" to photograph of it. Nicely done. Great photography of all the sights. A photo with Katie in it certainly brightens up a day. Well done Dive.

dive said...

Hi, Cali: I must admit, looking at the photos this lunchtime did make sitting in the office rather more bearable.

Mark: A photo with Katie in it certainly does brighten up the day! Hee hee.

Shazza said...

Hooray for the Murphys!!!

dive said...

Hee hee hee, Shazza!

Katherine said...

Oh Dive, I'm so glad you are posting.....AND taking us on a virtual tour! How lovely! Wish I could see it live, but for now, I'll settle for seeing it from your lively perspective!

neetzy said...

Murphy Rules!

dive said...

My perspective can be pretty warped, Katherine; you'd better come over here and see it for yourself.

Neetzy: It seems yourself and Shazza have some Irish blood running in your veins. I think we should all meet up in Dublin one day and see how much Guinness we can down.

neetzy said...

You guessed it! Shazza and I are both Murphys. We will gladly meet up for the Guinness challenge! We found a few delightful pubs there last summer.

dive said...

Gosh! That's three Murphys in our little Blogville.
Next time you're over we must meet up!