News reaches these shores that The Other Girl (The Cat In The Hat From Seattle) is changing her name .
Rather sensibly, she has decided not to become The Blogger Formerly Known As The Other Girl, but has embraced the democratic ethos and given us a list of options and a voting contraption on which to register our preference (no hanging chads this time I hope).
Pop on over there and exercise your democratic right, citizens.
Which brings my somewhat addled, Sunday-morning brain round to etymology. To the derivations of words. And way back in time to the first person who pointed to a hippopotamus after a long night's drinking and named it.
As my long term blog-sufferers know, I have a real bug up my ass about the use of language.
This resulted - some years ago - in the only letter of protest I have ever written to the BBC.
I was watching the news one night and the BBC's Washington correspondent (at that time the windmill-armed, jug-eared buffoon Andrew Marr) uttered the non-word "normalcy".
NOT IN THE CONTEXT OF A QUOTE!
I recall leaping off the sofa, spuffling and sputtering with indignant rage.
This was the BBC for goodness sake! We expect standards! We expect BBC English! What we do NOT expect is a BBC news correspondent speaking gibberish! The BBC's motto is NOT "Nation Shall Speak Gibberish Unto Nation".
At least it wasn't the last time I looked …
And so I rattled off a furious epistle to the Beeb, explaining the derivation of this obscenity and demanding summary execution for Marr (a course of action regrettably not followed).
This linguistic excresence had first tumbled clumsily out of the mouth of one Warren Gamaliel Harding, twenty-ninth President of our lamentably lost colonies and the man who started the appalling avalanche of ignorance that has culminated in the present incumbent of that office being unable even to pronounce his middle initial: namely the monumentally incompetent George Walker Bush.
Even in Harding's own day his call for a "return to normalcy" was derided; not for its intent, but for its linguistic gaucherie.
Here is e.e.cummings on Harding's passing in 1923:
"The only man, woman or child who wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors is dead."
And H.L Mencken:
"He writes the worst English that I have ever encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."
Splendid!
The thing that most bugs me about "normalcy" however, is that the word itself encourages ignorance; it actually forces human intelligence to take a step backward.
"Normality" - the word Harding's floundering mind must have been groping for - is of course derived from the French "normalité". Not much of a leap there.
After the Norman conquest, a vast word-hoard of French was absorbed into the English language; already a melting pot of Celtic, Breton, Saxon and many others, with Latin as the written norm.
Language is a living thing and it evolves with usage, but the basic meaning of any word is revealed through its etymology. You can trace its roots back through English, French, Latin, Greek, whatever; eventually - in our case - to Indo-Aryan (I won't go into essay-length expostition here as you'd all bugger off down the pub).
When a word such as "normality/normalité" is altered, through ignorance or design, it loses part of its meaning. It has taken a step toward becoming a mere abstract symbol. An arbitrary amalgam of sounds to which nobody other than the person who produced it can attach any meaning.
This is the road to chaos. And it would render the Times Crossword even more mind-buggeringly difficult than it is.
The first words were felt as much as spoken. Burroughs posits that the first words were "sex" words and he could well be right. Some were undoubtably onomatopœic; hunter-gatherer words echoing the sounds of the world around them. The Indo-Aryan word "Ma" for mother occurs in almost all languages, whether they are connected or not. What I'm trying to put across here is that words that have evolved and adapted naturally still retain their essential meanings.
Neologisms: new words for new concepts are continually being brought into existence; the common example being John Logie Baird's coining of the term "television", from the Greek "tele" for "distant, and the Latin "visio" for "seeing". Some people even more pedantic than me insist that neologisms should only be formed from the same language roots, but even - like television - if they are not, then, like all naturally evolved words, some idea of their meaning can be still gauged from their roots.
The French suffixes "…ité" and "…cy" have historially derived and separate usages. Confusing them merely creates confusion and the nuance of meaning is lost.
Having said that, dicking around with language is great fun. It is what writers and poets do. It is what the kid down the street does.
Language moves forward; meaning is refined and even redefined. This is a good thing. I myself have even been party to linguistic debauchery, having once been caught using the word "party" as a verb (yikes)!
"Normalcy" when used by a bumbling President is funny; when used by the BBC - arbiters of the English Language - it is a crime against reason. An irrevocable step down the path to ignorance. They now use it with alarming frequency; proof positive that accusations of their "dumbing down" are well founded.
Twats.
Okay. Mister Pedantic can go back in his box now. Just don't use "normalcy" around me unless you want a slap.
24 comments:
Or me. Wonderful post, Dive. Took the very latin-derived words out of my mouth. As a former uni Linguistic & International Studies student (she bored..) and teacher of English as a foreign language, (she soporificisationalised) i also abhor bad usage. We all get lazy or colloquial now and then but knowing the difference between correct and incorrect usage is surely key. I heard one Americanism (sorry Ame, actually no i'm not) the other day and it annoyed the hell out of me. It escapes me right now, must have blocked the trauma out of my mind, but i'll be back to haunt you with it.
What i also find in the reluctance of people to use proper language is the misguided idea that to do so is to be 'posh'. Well, i'm not planning any cruises and the modern term just doesn't apply (though my accent brings this comment time and again).
I fear that the thorn will always be there digging into our literary sides, Dive, but we shall carry on with our linguistic correctness, shall we not? In short, let's party. Oh dear. It had to done, if only for reasons of illustration.
Hee hee, Lynn.
Party on, dudette!
And yes, we shall raise the flag of righteous pedantry and continue our assault upon the ramparts of crass stupidity, doomed though we may be.
I must have slept through English language lessons at school because I can't even begin to think where all that came from!
I did miss the Grammer School system due to the Comprehensive system starting a year before.
Anyway, besides starting a sentence with "And" I totally agree.
As for dicking around with words, do you remember raragarpidudees?
Scrabble is the best entertainment when you have been drinking.
Yup, and you even missed Grammar school, too.
And I love starting sentences with "and".
Scrabble is great when you're very drunk, but my favourite has to be reading aloud from Roget's Thesaurus.
Always start with "dead", from Python's parrot sketch, then get increasingly silly.
And don't just read; stand in the centre of the room and DECLAIM, reading each word slowly and with exaggerated emphasis.
I may well do a post on games to play drunk … Hmm …
lol Dive. I was going to let that go. You mean big bro you.
Starting sentences with And or But is a no-no for me. It's one of my huge annoyances when i've written an article and the subs get hold of it and shorten the piece (well ok they have to but). In doing so, they have to take words out. Simple you might think. No; in putting them back together with literary elawtoplast, they then impose their oft-awful grammar and syntax on my piece, which then appears in the newspaper or mag with MY name splashed all over it. Obviously i want MY NAME splashed all over my writing but not when it's peppered with junior school errors. Apologies all subs out there, actually, no again, no apologies due.
Another thing, though just don't request me to start on apostrophe hell, is the trend of saying "it's a big ask." Whilst technically, yes it's a verb, blah blah, but it's such a stupid use of it and well out of place (notice the other well annoying phrase?). I was watching BBC News 24 when the presenter, talking about politics in lighthearted jovial paper-review style, was referring to some such overeaten politician, when she agreed that it 'was indeed a big ask wasn't it' and giggled. I still swear she said it was indeed a big arse wasn't it. If only she had, i say.
Full, the comprehensive system has a lot to arser for in my view. I too missed the grammar route.
"...having once been caught using the word "party" as a verb (yikes)!" This conjured such an image, one that matches the man standing up in protest at a word he heard on the radio. You know how much I love it when you get angry over language.
Language does need to be free to evolve in order to stay relevant and usable, but the "dumbing down" of communication is not evolution--it's laziness, coming from someone who lives in a country where the president pounds his fist and says, "I am the decider."
Oh, and I hope you don't monitor my English too closely because I mix up words all the time.
Boss, as an English major, all I can say is... we so need to sort you a shag.
Lynn and Phil:
Not starting sentences with "and" and "but" … That's a big ask!
The Oxford English Grammar (current edition); chapter 7:14, "Co-ordinators" sets out the correct use of "and" and "but" at the start of a sentence.
Being a major-league pedant I try to stick to the rules.
Robyn: I love it when you love it.
And (there he goes again) your President is indeed the true heir of Mr. Harding's ludicrous linguistic legacy (yes, you've guessed it; I also love alliteration. I'm a huge fan of Anglo Saxon and Norse poetry; wonderfully stirring and resonant alliterative cadences … Mmmm).
GG: You so do!
LOL Gaijin Girl! You chose the best eight words today probably. Robyn, are you single (not that i'm using the word shag and you in the same sentence of course, i can tell that would be rightly inappropriate)? Because for some time now, i've been thinking, musing, about the fact that you and Dive get on so very welllllll......? Prompt apologies if you are happily married/offended/shocked/horrored/blushed naturally.
Key words there, Dive, being 'current edition'. Proof that the language is sinking to a new, trendy, devil-may-care, and can i bear to say it 'official' abyss.
Hey, I like starting sentences with And and But.
And "Hey", Robyn … Hee hee.
And hee hee, Lynn, too.
Robyn is indeed married and has a brace of lovely daughters. Together with Sassy and Knudsen and Rich, we started blogging together and have kind of grown up together - hence the familiarity (and indeed the exchange of cock rings between Knudsen and myself).
Robyn is just lovely and that is that, I'm afraid, Lynn.
And you're right. The trend toward "dumbing down" grammar and sentence structure is abysmal. A living language evolves naturally with usage.
One good thing that I've noticed in recent TV and radio "trends" is the increasing use of regional dialects. I don't mean merely splattering everything in Estuary English; our dialects are rich in tradition and frankly weird words and the more exposure they get, the better.
Absoloootly Dive, it's a hooge issue.
Yes i knew about Robyn's lovely daughters but that didn't mean she was with someone. I have sons but i'm not married. I was, i add primly, but not anymore.
Lynn, I am married--I don't mention my husband often because he's a private kind of guy and prefer to be left out of my blogging world. We will be married twenty three years in July.
At least it's only a "bug" up your arse Divey Boy...and not a gerbil! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ;)
I'm sorry...something's taking over my brain and I'm in serious need of some good "couch time!" ;)
My favorite word is antidisestablishmentarianism!
AND I don't even have a good strong reply to this magnificent post about words and ectomology and zymology and endocrinology or even UROLOGY!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! x
HELP! What am I SAAAAAAAAAAYING!?~
You'd love my TAFE class. The words normal, normality and most especially normalcy (thats not even a word) were banned in my first year. We simply never use them.
In the world of my work whats normal to me is alien to a client, whats normal to them is incomprehensible at times to me.
WOW! Is this news or is this news DB??? What's your take on it all? This piece literally just popped up on my "News Around the World" section! ;)
LONDON (Reuters) - Men will be able to buy impotence treatment Viagra over the counter in Britain for the first time from
Valentine's Day, chemist chain Alliance Boots said on Sunday.
Three Manchester Boots pharmacies will sell the prescription-only medication made by U.S. drugs group Pfizer in a pilot program from February 14.
Men aged between 30 and 65 suffering from erectile dysfunction will be able to buy four Viagra pills for 50 pounds ($97) without having to get a prescription from a doctor first.
Heh heh.
I read that in the freebie paper on the tube this morning, Ame.
I don't have a problem with erectile dysfunction, so I won't be joining the fun. My problem is having … er … nowhere to put the damned thing.
If only they'd let us buy weemen over the counter instead of stupid stiffy-tablets.
Oh, well …
lol Yes Viagra was the story of the day yesterday. Big blue news it was.
There'll be long, grey queues out on the pavement at Boots.
There's some new, short fiction of mine at my Things UK blog, Dive, for your coffee break (or anyone else of course; stop work, take a break!)
I'm on my way over, Lynn.
Buying women, Dive? I'm still reading Mayor of Casterbridge, so I'm a little sensitive about the subject.
Hee hee.
As I can't seem to find one any other way, Robyn, I'll pop on down to Casterbridge Fayre …
Hey, Henchard! Here's the money for your wife. And while I'm at it I'll have those two over there and the little one in the corner.
Clean 'em up and have 'em sent to my chambers.
Someone has to be the custodian of a laguage that aspires to excellence, albeit any language will develop over time. Not often these days does the petty pace creep on from day to day, creating images in minds, to the last syllable of recorded time. Rather, all our tomorrows are lighting fools the way to dusty death, by their ignorant manhandling of an excellent tool. Give a gorilla a violin and he will perform better than those who usurp the privileges bestowed by a beautiful language. Mediocrity is taught in schools, and is the default modus everywhere.
Dive, I shall treasure your piece today, Monsieur. Merci beaucoup.
You are so right, MB. and thank you so much for the compliment (especially after I accused you of setting fire to Australia yesterday!
Post a Comment