Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Decorating An Ugly Building

This one's for Vic.

A few more shots of Norwich, but not like the pretty ones I posted over the weekend; these are of the back end of the overspill car park to one of Britain's pig-ugliest buildings, the HMSO building in Norwich.
Some kids with a damned sight more taste than the Architect have had a spray-fest in the car park.
As much as I hate no-brainer tagging (DUH!), I love graffiti when it's done well, especially good colour work like this and stencil work like Banksy or the great stuff going on in Melbourne.

Anyway … Click on 'em for biggies.
Enjoy.





Nice …

28 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

They are so talented, these people. I'd like to see Graffiti Galleries springing up all over the place, so that they don't get such a bashing for their art and, of course it has to be said, so they don't ruin some inappropriate choice of surface.

dive said...

This wall had been cleaned down and set aside as a graffiti wall. We've got a lot of them.
Unfortunately, they only attract the talented artists away from the nice buildings, not the talentless taggers.
But it's a start.

GG said...

Great colours on the grey.

I love it that the fourth one says, Strictly for the Ladies! I hope you had your blog harem in mind when you took that photo.

dive said...

I ALWAYS have my blog harem on my mind.
It makes me walk funny, but hey …

Anonymous said...

gorgeous paint work, what a pity they can't get it on canvas.

Vic said...

I'm particularly a fan of the first pic, since the parking sign was left alone!
I love it even when features of the building are incorporated into the artwork.

Thanks, dive!

dive said...

Unless my clock's wrong, you two are up late.
What on earth are you doing blogging at this hour, when you could be partying?

M.Benaut said...

Yes, they ARE talented, Dive. Pity they can't have a scaffold and 'do' those bog-ugly precast panels as well. I well remember precast conc. panels and load-bearing conc, panels. How to make the whole world look like a hospital !

Scout said...

Wow, these are really good. Work like that takes hours and hours, and lots of planning I suspect.


"It makes me walk funny." hee hee

dive said...

I have a very cute harem.

Sassy Sundry said...

Now THAT'S a tag.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are beautiful. The dimensions pop right off the page.

Harem huh! That would indicate you would chose one of us each evening to be your companion for the night. Now go ahead Dive, step in the middle of that big cat fight! Hee Hee!

Ame said...

Amazing artists! Great shots DB! ;)

dive said...

I'm too tired weekdays and too busy weekends, Prudence … I might as well be the eunuch …

Anonymous said...

Dive, you can't possibly mean that!

Old Knudsen said...

yeah yeah yeah great artists, cut their thumbs off.

dive said...

Only their thumbs, Old K?

And I only meant the first part, Prudence.

Sassy Sundry said...

We're part of a harem? That makes me feel weird.

dive said...

YOU feel weird?
You're about the closest in this alleged harem and you're five thousand miles away and I don't even know what you look like!
Some harem … sigh …

Vic said...

Dive I was having a nice late glass.. two.. of red after rehearsals and paperwork. I just don't feel like sleeping after a practise.
But anyway here's a link you might be interested in.

dive said...

WOW!
Cool stuff, Vic!
And Robyn; I think you'd better take a look. It's a new slant on your "altered book" style, only you don't destroy a book; just decorate a wall and frame it.
Excellent!

Sassy Sundry said...

Doesn't Lynn live in the UK?

Prudence is only a hundred miles or so away.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Yes I'm in the UK but i'm taken. Cyber harem only seems to suit Dive well anyway.

Ame said...

Hey DB! I clicked on you to make you a "biggie" but it didn't work! ;) I love playing here in the Divey playground when all you Brits are snoozin! ;)

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

You clicked on Dive to make him biggy? Disgusting.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

some of these kids (i guess they're kids) do pretty good art work. I've seen some nice stuff on bridges and places nobody would dare go. They should be in art school.

dive said...

I think they would be, Rich, except that they're beginning to make big money at it.
Smart kids.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

How do they make money Dive?