Sometimes I really like my pointy-haired boss.
This morning, he bullied IT into ordering me a hoopy new top of the range widescreen MacBook Pro, so not only can I start working from home three days a week (instead of my current one day), I can also do it from my favourite armchair in front of the fire.
It'll take a while to get hold of one with all the bells and whistles I need, but when it comes, I'll have an extra fifteen hours a week to lay in bed and not commute.
Yip and indeed Pee!
Actually, a seven-and-a-half hour lie-in every day is probably a bit much. And as I won't need to be in bed by nine every night of the week, I'll have the time to do a bit of blogging, or even (gasp) to GO OUT occasionally, looking for weemen or even having a social life.
The possibilities are endless … well, if not actually endless, there are at least two things I could do with all those extra hours.
So, any ideas how I can spend an extra seven-and-a-half hours a day (other than commuting)?
32 comments:
Bloody hell old son and praise the Lord, crikey, that's really tellin' them. I'd say you've got the game sown-up, true blue cobber. What you do now is work like crap straight off on that new electric thing of yours for two days, and like the Lord, take a little tiny day off on the third, a sort of Sabbath, so to speak! On the Sabbath, all them crazy weeemen are just bound to come with a rush! you mark my words.
Seven extra hours a day, hmmm the posibilities. Remember whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of ebay, it will eat up your free time, its evil.
P.S - M Benaut - You really need an excorcist. I think Steve Irwin has taken over your vocabulary. Which is enough for anyone to say crikey.
But you've given me a great idea for a post.
Smiling so Dives sun stays out, I'm inspired again, Dive your magic xoxox
Thank you, Kate; you're lovely.
And I've never been an eBayer, so no worries there.
MB, I have to be in the house during office hours when I'm working from home to sort out emails and phone hassles, so regrettably that's not an option.
Gads! With seven extra hours I'd probably knit an awful damned lot. You know they say that idle hands are the Devil's playthings and I suspect the Devil has a hotline to me anyhow, so I must be ever-vigilant to stave off the trouble I could get into.
But this is about you, not me. I suspect seven extra hours would be enough for you to get yourself a fine case of carpal tunnel syndrome fingering a guitar and perhaps have a career change to the wonderful world of Rock God. I can talk to some aquaintences about selling your soul...
Since fresh hell has already beat me to the knitting comment...
What about learning accordion? Starting a Ukulele orchestra? Or an accordion ensemble?
You could start a reality show about what you do with your spare time...
Dare you to put a poll in your sidebar so we can vote on the options for your spare time!
Good for you! I was actually thinking about your mind-boggling commute as I drove the 20 minutes home last evening. The only traffic delay in this neck of the woods is the occasional deer, fox or moose crossing the road. I counted 6 cars on my drive home last night. You can spend some of your time mixing different spice concoctions that you can share with the rest of us and how you used them. This could be a whole new line of work for you.. mix your own and peddle them to weemen! Might get your foot in the door!
Hmmm …
I've been a rock god and that was knackering and boring.
John the drummer on Norwich Market already has the local spice trade sewn up …
So … Looks like I'll be knitting myself an accordion then.
Kate Isis, mate,
It's wensdy in Oz, midi temps, (mid week break), cobber, cupla cleansers, hang loose, excorcists, no worries. peace and joy.
Mmmm … Wensdy …
Oops! There goes my Wednesday Addams fetish again!
Good news indeed Dive! Congratulations in order.
This is assuming of course that you can get the donkey powered internet connection; wish you well with that.
Hmm seven hours... well you could almost take another job couldn't you. Not keen on that? Oh. Ok then erm...
Know what Dive? Things happen for a reason and i think you're a damned fine writer. This is the time to write a novel. Even an hour a day would get you onto it and i know you could. When you're big and famous with your best-seller, will you put in a plug for me as the person who made you do it - perhaps even the veritable inspiration - an inscription inside the front cover would be nice oh and a ticket for the launch, and recommendations for publication for MY NOVEL, UNDER A TRAIN, WHICH YOU ALL CAN FIND AT MY BLOGLIST.
I thank you and wish you the heartiest of luck and success x
Why thank you, Lynn.
The long-finished novels have been sitting in various attics for decades, and that's just where they're staying.
No, I think knitting an accordion is currently the most likely option.
Hmm ...
What is it that men do when they've got a bit of spare time to themselves and they're at home alone?
Oh, hold on, that only takes about five minutes, doesn't it?
Five?
That must include hunting round the attic for an old porn mag.
OMG Divey Boy...you are TOO much! LOL! ;) Congrats on the widescreen (hmmm!) and the extra hours...I'm just now waking up so give me a few minutes to come up with some ideas...
Somehow i doubt, Dive, that you have to venture all the way into the attic for your mags. Surely it's just feeling down the side of the armchair?
ROFL GF! Divey, that true, hmmmmmmmmmm? WHICH ONES DO YOU HAVE??? ;)
good for you dive... nothing like avoiding a lousy commute. Just don't get too comfy ok?
Sorry, laydeez, but I'm a porn-free house.
Big boobs, fake tan and too much make-up don't do a thing for me, so there's no point buying the crap.
Thanks, Rich. I've still got to do two days a week commuting, plus site visits all over the UK so I won't be getting over-comfy.
And it's not going to start for several weeks as yet (rats) …
That is such exciting news for you. My vote is to skip the knitting and write that novel, or pull out one from the attic and dust it off.
My advice, as one who works at home every day, stay out of the kitchen, unless you can manage to keep it stocked with only dull healthful crap.
I'm afraid that it's stocked with wildly exciting, mega-healthy crap, Robyn.
Mostly Japanese, with Italian and Indian and Arabic and a touch of French and Mexican, but all ludicrously healthy.
And I don't have meat, fowl, salt or sugar in the house, either.
All fresh; nothing pre-packaged.
Sorry to be so boring but I love cooking and I love food, so it has to be healthy stuff or I'll balloon!
Actually, if I write anything, it may well be a cookbook.
You don't have any bloody milk either do you?
You could pop over to your little bro's house and help him to improve his guitar skills after you made him buy that gorgeous candy tele.
If the snow's gone by the weekend I'll come over after coffee.
I'm at work. Can't make my suggestions yet.
OH, good, so you don't have a stock of sugary yummy crap. Yesterday, may daughter made this stuff she makes--rice crispies mixed with melted butterscotch chips and peanut butter then layered with melted bittersweet chocolate. It's sitting on the kitchen counter at this very moment, murmuring something about how I need to eat the whole batch. It's evil that way.
Robyn, put the fork and spoons down and back away from the counter!
m.benaut - I actually understood that. big smiles. Aussies are strange. xox
Here is perfect opportunity for a shameless plug.
I shall let it pass me by. :D
D'you have any of your work put up anywhere, meanwhile? As an architecture student, I admit curiosity...
Glad to hear you're working hard, Sassy.
Robyn, I'm SO with Prudence on this one. That's dangerous stuff.
And Kate; judging by MB, Vic and yourself, I'd say Aussies are pretty cool. If you're strange. then it's in a good way.
Welcome, Tangled. I'm still bouncing around your various blogs, trying to figure out what's going on (hee hee). And I do seem to attract an inordinate amount of architectural students. I'll direct you where I direct the others: follow my sidebar down to "Judge Me By My Labels" and click on the "Work" label. These's lots of junk in there but some of my buildings lurk within, too.
How to spend 7 and a half hours a day... where's Knudsen's suggestion involving polishing your rifle? I would have put money on that comment being here already.
How about creating more of that 3d / abstract digital art?
I'm with FH on the knitting (and why not post more pics of the knitting? My fave knitting blogs have kinda fallen by the wayside).
If you get really desperate, you could get out in the garden....
I just did. It's snowing like buggery.
Post a Comment