One last post of 2012:
Our lovely Lynn is over on the correct side of the country for Christmas with her parents and that's as good a reason as any to misuse the word 'party' as a verb.
So we went to try out the new Patisserie Valerie that's recently emerged from the cocoon of Clark's shoe shop betwixt the Market and the Castle in Norwich.
It's been beguiling me for a couple of weeks now, with its pretty waitresses and comfy chairs and Parisian style cakes in the window.
Who do I know who likes cake?
Aha …
Anyhoo … Other than Breakfast Club, any visitors meeting me in the city are now likely to get dragged inside Patisserie Valerie. It feels genuinely Parisian (crowded, chatty - but not overly noisy - filled with yumminess) but is not so dark and dingy as a genuine Parisian café so you can actually see what you're eating and who you're talking to.
Review time:
A matching pair of Croques Champignons … perfectly delicious, with a bonus point for the excellence of the salad dressing.
Black Americano and tall mineral water (still) … as good as anywhere else that serves illy, which is pretty darned good.
My dessert was an espresso and pair of mini-macarons (pistachio) … scrummy.
Lynne's chocolate cake and cappuccino looked pretty good, too.
Add in a fruit juice for Lynn and two obscenely mouthwatering cakes in pretty boxes tied with ribbon to take home for her Mum and Dad and the whole lot came in at a very affordable price, including a big tip for the excellent (attractive, polite, attentive but not obtrusive) waitress.
More places like this, please, Norwich. I'll be back for lunch on Saturday.
Tomorrow I'm meeting Peahen and friends for the New Year organ recital in Norwich Cathedral.
Hope you all have an unconscionably spiffy 2013.
See you there.

11 comments:
That's a splendid way to end the old, bring in the new! (I've got my eye on that chocolate slice of cake, and one of those macarons).
Have a good New Year's eve, Dive. And we'll all hope for a spiffy 2013.
And very best wishes for 2013 for you and N, Ms.M.
Oh, yumm! I'm jealous. You're doing the right thing, Dive, by supporting such excellent business. I might even say, it's your duty to buy more and more cakes.
I'm never one to shirk my duties, Vanda, especially where macarons are concerned.
Excellent review Dive ... What a fabulous day we had and yes the patisserie was pretty marvellous, both. Norwich .. And Dive particularly... It's good to be back! X
And we can do it again at the weekend. Yay!
Happy New Year, David. I would love to have a bit of one of those cakes and the cappuccino. Oh. well. I may get out tomorrow to enjoy similar goodies.
Happy New Year to all your blog friends…
Have a great first lunch of 2013, Speedway!
Thanks, Mum. Here's to a decent enough 2013 (I'm keeping my hopes achievable).
Happy New Year to you too Alifan! Hope you are well x
Happy New Year to you, Alifan! May many good things come your way.
Post a Comment