Monday, October 17, 2011

WTF Monday - Back When The World Made Sense

A big hi to Ms.M.
I'm guessing Boise was a lot quieter back then.

10 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

What? There was a time when the world made sense? Well, yes, perhaps in Idaho.

Speedway said...

What a lovely old globe!

I've increasingly heard the phrase "across the world" used in place of "around the world." Does that mean the Flat Earth Society has won their little war against science and logical reasoning? Who/what decided we're riding through space on a giant bit of carpet rather than a nice blue marble?

dive said...

It must have bee pretty idyllic up there back in those days, Petrea.

Speedway, this globe is in the Musée des Arts et Mètiers in Paris, like so many of my favourite slightly odd objects.
I suppose it's up to the individual what he or she rides through space … Right now I'm riding along on a rather comfy chair.

Speedway said...

And you could improve your aerodynamics if you were to lie down, too. Right now, I'm facing the wrong direction.

dive said...

Actually, me too. Ass to the East. It's kinda refreshingly breezy with the world whizzing round.

Speedway said...

Hahaha! So that's what that flapping sound is, accompanied by a high-pitched whistle... Oops, no, that's me, complete with vortices coming off my chair and elbows.

Ms M said...

And a big hi to you, too, Dive! Yes, it probably was a lot quieter before the French fur trappers made their way up the rivers. Before the "State of Idaho" was a glint in anyone's eye.
Here's a little animation I found of how the U.S. came to be:
http://www.animatedatlas.com/movie.html

And here's a little Idaho history:
http://www.visitidaho.org/press/about/idaho_history.htm

dive said...

What a scary animation, Ms.M. Watching the virus spread across the innocent continent with a deadpan commentary glossing over the horror story is quite shocking. Having said that, the Pythonesque train was funny.

The Idaho history link was really informative. So much of what I loved about the "Wild West" when I was a kid happened there; French trappers, Chief Joseph, Butch Cassidy, gold and silver rushes … what a change from that old globe.

Ms M said...

Glad you enjoyed the links. I thought that animation was a little scary, too, with the states flashing red and the various wagons and trains moving across the country at record speed. The Pythons would have had a "hay day" with this.

dive said...

Hee hee.