Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wednesday Window

And so to my favourite cinema.
Yes, this is a cinema - Cinema City to be precise, a fiercely independent little arthouse place hidden in a warren of fourteenth century houses. The flint wall is the back of the cinema itself and the oriel window is part of the cinema's restaurant.
Yes, this is the place that does "popcorn free" cinema. A cinema for people who actually want to enjoy a film without being surrounded by the disgusting racket of crunching and slurping that comes with the normal sticky-floored, stinking cinema "experience".
You enter through a lovely stone arch and eat your food in the restaurant or the courtyard café before or after the movie, thus allowing me to enjoy the film without wanting to kill you.
That's right. A cinema for considerate people! A cinema with no food or drink allowed in the theatre! What civilised bliss!
If only all the world worked this way.

9 comments:

Alifan said...

That is a lovely window and love the flint..

Robyn Martins said...

It looks like a lovely buildings, but what's to stop people from sneaking in a package of Twizzlers or a box of Sour Patch Kids? I'd be happy to sit behind you and eat them directly in your ear, if you'd like.

Alifan said...

Ha ha Robyn, I think he must get the "I hate people eating in the cinema and theatre" from me, very off putting..

dive said...

Hee hee the both of you. Robyn, I think if anyone tried sneaking food in on a non-food night they would not find themselves popular (wow, how polite I am getting in my old age).

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I remember you showing me this window I think! Lovely. The perfect cinema food is marshmallows! Nice and quiet...

neetzy said...

Oh and the quiet sipping of wine could be tolerated. I do love the window and the flint. Nothing like that around these parts. nes

Ms M said...

Love the window and this peaceful scene. And I really like the idea of cinema for considerate people. No rattling wrappers, no stream of pop oozing by your feet.

Speedway said...

I don't like to eat stuff while I'm trying to watch a movie, nor do I like the feeling of sticky floors beneath my fett. Yuch! Besides, just what kind of movie does one go to where you need a large container of greasy popcorn in your lap? Oh. Never mind.

dive said...

Lynn, the perfect cinema food is eaten in the yummy organic veggie restaurant inside that oriel window, NOT in the theatre! Hee hee.

Neetzy, the window is at the back of Suckling Hall, which was built before Columbus was born so if you DID find something like that around your city it would sure shake up the history books.


At last, a voice of sanity! Thank you Ms.M.

And thank you Speedway. Let's hope (a man can dream, can't he?) that Cinema City's wonderful example spreads.