One of my favourite houses in Cathedral Close and yet the view is spoiled by a fat man sitting on a bench with his legs spread out like an old lady who's just peed herself.
Ah, the restrained elegance of the Englishman.
Lovely.
I was going to Photoshop him out but his sheer awfulness somehow makes the house seem even more beautiful, so he stayed.

17 comments:
G'morning, Dive. It's a beautiful place you have to live in a work.
I think you're right to leave him in, Dive. He makes the scene look real, more like a place where people live, less like a museum or movie set.
Does the house have a chimney for each window?
You should not laugh at fat people, lovely pic even with him in it....and I know how you love the Close.
He just adds scale to the house. It's lovely.
And, I thought all men sat like that.
It sure has a lot of chimneys, Speedway, but then it's a huge place with lots of rooms to heat. The core of the building is twelfth century but the floors and "modern" front were added around 1600 with the Georgian windows replacing the originals around 150 years later.
The fat man is new, and in keeping with all modern tat he won't last as long as the building.
Mum, I can laugh at fat people because I'm fat. Nyaah, nyaah, nyaah.
Robyn, some us possess a modicum of decorum.
And … er … a propensity for typos.
All those chimneys make me appreciate central heating.
Surely you don't need central heating in Southern California, Vanda?
Cashews, eh? All this time I'd thought men sat like that because they were just letting the boys enjoy a bit of freedom and fresh air.
The house is magnificent -- and the old guy adds "character", don't you think?
Thank you for the link. Boy it was fun reading that again. I haven't been reading since 2007 (I only started blogging in '08) but I think you've linked to it before.
Cashews, Speedway. Definitely cashews. Or maybe those teeny-tiny brine shrimp.
The old guy may BE a character, Ms.M. but that doesn't mean he adds it.
Petrea, I sometimes miss the old ranty days when I could write for seven hours a day on the train and yes, I do revisit them from time to time.
I was looking for the source of the floating streetlamp when I noticed the hedge had been allowed to grow around its post. Is it easier to maintain an outward curve than an inward one?
Well spotted, Speedway! I've walked past that spot all my life and never noticed the lamp post eaten by a hedge.
As for the outward curve versus inward curve question, my stupid stomach proves that an outward curve is way too easy to maintain.
Same with my fanny. I walk and walk and walk, but it still follows me around.
Hee hee.
It's a fat man, in the bathtub, with the blues.
What a scary combination, Neetzy.
Post a Comment