Hokay … Time to reveal which of our original Blogville neighbours turned up for lunch with Old Dive yesterday.
Here's a hint: if you live here (and she does), where on earth would you go if you wanted to take a break from Paradise?
Yep: you got it: London … In November … Cold, rainy, windy and about as far from Paradise as it's possible to get.
So a big welcome to the Frozen North for the lovely Jules and the almost equally lovely "He Who Doesn't Blog" from Rabaul Daily Photo … who has a name now, but will be referred to today in his original blog ID as HWDB.
And here they are, shivering in front of the Parasite House, having left Paradise in 32 degree Celsius temperatures not long before and arrived in 32 degree Fahrenheit temperatures, well wrapped up against the London weather.
At any other time of year, the bridge over the lake in St.James's Park is a beautiful and romantic place to meet; in November, it's just cold, wet, covered in dead leaves and swan crap and mercifully devoid of tourists … well, apart from this splendid pair.
Here's Jules being Jules. She's even more fun in person than she is on her blog and Facebook. She came bearing gifts, both beautiful and bizarre … more on that another day, however.
Christmas in Paradise and Christmas in the arcades of Piccadilly are two quite different affairs, so it's nice to do both (this weekend I'm buying a lottery ticket as it's the only chance I've got of a return visit).
HWDB - as well as being witty, charming and doing an astonishingly spectacular coffee-juggling, erupting volcano impersonation, is also eagle-eyed; he spotted the PNG High Commission which I've walked past a thousand times without realising it's there.
Home from home.
Jules and HWDB are here for only a short time before flying off to warmer climes; this time Barcelona, where I'm sure they'll have a fabulous time (as well as recover from the cold).
So thank you both for a really great fun visit and for my fantastic prezzies. Have a great time in Catalunya and remember to change out of your arctic clothes before getting off the plane back in Paradise.
I love it when blogs collide.





11 comments:
Wonderful, so pleased you all had such a nice time.
Oh, how fun! My tired blog didn't bump into Jules' blog very often, but I do miss Blogville.
You're a great tour guide, David.
Hi dear Dive We had a wonderful day and was soooooo nice to meet face to face after all these years as virtual friends. Our girls were most disappointed you weren't an axe murderer. Thank goodness we met yesterday and not today - such a horrible wet, dark day - we spent this afternoon in our local pub drinking Guinness - rots your socks!!! Til next time dear friend. Thanks for everything and we do expect a photo of you wearing the prezzzie!!! Jules xxxx
Of all the things about blogging, I like the opportunities to meet with people on-line, to explore other worlds I may never get to visit. The idea that one may actually meet the people on the other end of the posts is exciting. Except for the axe-murderer part.
Mum, yes, we did. It was brilliant seeing Jules and HWDB at long last.
And you'll be pleased to know that, back in PNG, Benson the cat is still going strong.
Robyn, we all miss the great, pre-Facebook days of Blogville. Perhaps one day people will see the folly of their ways and move back in with us few lonesome survivors.
Hi, Jules! What a great time I had. You and HWDB are such fantastic company; I had more fun than I've had in a long, long time.
You can tell the girls I've asked Santa for an axe this Christmas.
Yay for Guinness! It's a great cure for our climatic blahdom.
Can't wait to see you again in warmer weather, and yes, the grand unveiling of the … ahem … will be on the blog next Monday and I'll have to set up the tripod to photograph myself with it. For now, however, we'll leave the others guessing.
Toodles!
D
xx
Speedway, the axe-murderer thing adds a certain frisson. I've met many of my fellow bloggers and so far none of them have murdered me. My long-suffering readers can live in hope … maybe next time.
Yay! I knew this was going to be a good day for all of you. Thanks for the photos and the reminder of the day that Ian and I spent with you back in 2008. On that occasion it was you who bore gifts too, as I recall.
Sorry that the weather is a bit ordinary - down here it's a pleasant 28 celsius today. xx
So glad you had a good visit! I recall several years back when you were giving someone else from Blogville a London tour (perhaps Mme Benaut & her husband??)
Looking forward to the grand unveiling....
Lovely to see Jules and HWDB! And London is so beautiful, really, on any day. I'm excited you all got to play tourists.
Looking forward to the ahem.
Hi, Mme! Your ears must have been burning on Tuesday as you were the subject of many a conversation (all good, of course).
Sorry to hear about your horrible weather; up here it's a balmy day of gales and torrential rain. Lovely.
Hee hee.
Ms.M. I enjoy nothing more than boring the ass off the good folk of Blogville when they visit our shores. Ame, Robyn, Mme B, Katie and Jules have all been amazing company and I can't wait for more.
You're right, Petrea: London - like Paris - is just as beautiful in the rain as in the sun. It's a city for walking; a great place to start the morning with no plans and see what adventures your feet can find. And I love playing tourist.
The ahem is looking forward to Monday, too.
Yes, November just the wrong time. I wonder if fortnum and mason has their Christmas stuff up yet.
Hello, Jenny, and welcome.
Fortnums do indeed have their Christmas window displays up. This year it's Fairy Tales and I popped back there after work on Tuesday to photograph them lit up. They'll be up on the blog at some time over the next week or so (if I forget, give me a gentle kick to remind me).
Post a Comment