Thursday, November 01, 2012

Cityshapes - Pollards

7 comments:

Speedway said...

Argh! Trees with a poodle cut! The much-maligned Van Gogh Pollocks! Oh nooo!

dive said...

I kinda like them, Speedway.

Speedway said...

It isn't good for the tree, though, is it?

dive said...

Debatable, Speedway. Like pollarded willows, the London Planes live a whole lot longer and are more vigorous than those "in the wild" … though whether they're happy about their haircuts is another matter.
You also have to take into account that the street outside St.Thomas' Hospital (the building here) is around ten feet wide and just behind me is the Shard. We don't have your wide open spaces and if we want to see nice trees in our cities we have to mow them like our lawns.

Oh, and go to bed! It must be almost dawn over there. I gotta run. The office beckons.

Ms M said...

Pollarding is a new one on me, so I looked it up. I can see how it would be practical and useful. [The trees do look as if they have small scouring pads growing from their limbs.]

I wonder if pollarding is related to bonsai?

dive said...

Remember this one, Ms,M?
http://smallglassplanet.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/random-norfolk-pollard.html

Pollarding is primarily used to get long, young-growth spars for fencing, wattle, charcoal burning and other traditional activities, while bonsai is the recreation of nature's beauty on a manageable scale (if you live in Tokyo, how else are you to see a tree?).

Ms M said...

Now that you've posted it, I do remember that photo. But I forgot about "pollard". (Arrgghh! Another "senior moment"....)

With your explanation, I can see that pollarding seems to be for practical use, while bonsai is an artistic meditation.