Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sunny Lunchtime

Hey! A non-Buffy post!
On my way back from this morning's meeting I had to swing by City Hall, so I popped across the street to the BBC to visit Joy in her radio studio (sorry, Joy; I nicked your photo), but I missed her by twenty minutes … DOH!
Better luck next time …


So anyhoo; I wandered back to my car via the Castle.


This is a Barbara Hepworth "Sea" piece that she did for the Castle Gardens in 1964. I've loved it since I was a kid.
It used to stand the other side of the moat but this is a nicer spot for it, just beside the outdoor theatre.

20 comments:

Scout said...

I'm so jealous you have a castle with a mote. All we've got here of history is a crappy old broken down canal.

dive said...

You have tens of thousands of years of human history in the Sates, Robyn … Though ninety-nine percent of that belongs to the people whose land you're living on illegally.
Hee hee hee. I love Colonial-bashing; it gets me into such trouble.

Joy said...

So sorry really that I missed you. I kept hanging around for as long as I could but this damned migraine... Now if you had a mobile, I could have told you I was leaving earlier than I thought :D

I've never seen a photo of the castle from that angle. Nice shot! Might try it myself.

joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You

dive said...

I hope you're feeling better now, Joy. Migraines truly suck, and all the stress of buying the new house can't help.
The people in your studio were really nice and helpful. It must be a great place to work.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

At least you found Joy at the castle Dive. Groan..sorry couldn't resist.

Joy said...

Replied to your comment on A Pinay In England :D

But yeah,it's a very nice place though I work with them in a collaborative effort. My day job is with a mental health charity, Norwich Mind.

I'm 95% better. Thanks, Imigran :D

Hi, Lynn! No, I wasn't at the castle sleeping, waiting for my charming prince :D Though that would be an apt description of dive. Hehe.

I went home and slept for a couple of hours. It's like coming out of a very dark tunnel once recovered from a migraine attack.

When you visit Norfolk, let's all go down to the dungeon in the castle. It'll be fun!


joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

Nice shot of the castle. You know I've never been to a castle with a mote and all, how deprived I am.
Joy - I know all too well about migraines as I used to suffer from them meself.

Maria said...

Holy moly...a castle with a fucking mote.

We have Boys Town here in Nebraska. Big whoop.

dive said...

Oooooh Lynn! How could you?
Hee hee hee hee hee!

Joy; I have some Imigran in the medicine cupboard but I've not had to take one for months. When we meet up, remind me to tell you how my doctor virtually eliminated my migraines (after thirty years of them). Too long a story for the blog.

I've never been called a charming prince before! I think of myself more as the "before" photo in the Frog Prince story.
And I think taking Lynn to the dungeons would be great fun!

Rich and Maria: You have castles in the States. Disney built them.
This one, however, was built by William the Conqueror in 1086, using Caen stone from his home in France. It was called "Blanchefleur", the White Flower, because its white stone shines for miles in the sunlight.
The keep is all original inside and the Castle also houses the brilliant Tate In The East art gallery and a boffo museum.
It also starred in a Monty Python sketch about bagpipe players.
How are the mighty fallen …

Joy said...

I definitely will ask you about it!

And rich - do you mean to you say you don't get them anymore? Lucky you! But mine is different. There are several triggers which I can avoid, but there is one that I can't - because I'm female (groan). However, thanks to my acupuncturist I keep it under control.

I'm glad you guys understand what it's like. There are many people who think that it's just like a really bad headache. Dead wrong!

Dive, what do you intend to do with Lynn in the dungeon???

joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach

dive said...

What to do with Lynn in the dungeons, Joy?
Well there is a large array of mediæval torture implements down there, plus a ducking stool you can sit in.
Not that I'm into that kind of thing … oh, no!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Dive; Mme and i are having some fun with the crinoline theme in comments of yesterday at mine. You are cordially invited.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Goodness it's quite some time since i was invited below by a man. The mind boggles. Joy will be an escort which will be good but i think Joy he merely wants to scare the pants off me! Oops.

Joy said...

Lynn, make sure you wear a really tight one :D

Dive's already thinking of ways to 'torture' you down there!

joy
a Pinay in England
Your Love Coach

dive said...

Ahem …
Ladies!
Why does this always happen to me on a day when I'm so stupidly busy I can't play?
Dammit!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

he he what with that and the crinolines... perhaps i should wear the crinoline to the dungeon?

Kate said...

Wow! It was a nice day, even!

Isadora said...

Sounds like you've had a pleasant close to the week - sorry you've missed lunch with Joy. Have a great week-end. :)

Joy said...

May I borrow the crinoline, Lynn! I've always fancied one. I only ever read them in Barbara Cartland's books. Hehe.


@Isadora - I was really looking forward to seeing dive that day! Damn migraine.

@dive - did I tell you I was having surgery on Tuesday? I'm really fretful because it's going to be painful and they're not even sure if it's gonna work. I also get headaches (very different from migraines) because of my TMJ. How lucky am I?

dive said...

Yow! TMJ is nasty, but you don't need me to tell you that, Joy.
Good luck with the treatment!
I really hope it works and is not painful.