Monday, January 21, 2008

Quick, Crappy Filler

Hey ho.
Five hours in to London this morning on the crappy trains (it's Monday … it must be "over-running engineering works"), to find all the computers and servers down (again), so I came back here to work from home and the crappy trains were even worse so having got up at 4:40 this morning to get to work I am now about to start my working day at 4:05 in the afternoon.

I'll catch up on my blogging obligations when I can.
A pox on trains and IT departments.

9 comments:

Dave said...

I don't know how people do it... Taking trains to work. I gotta give you all credit. I drive a 7 minute trip. I sometimes don't realize how lucky I am.

dive said...

Cheers, Dave.
It does indeed kinda suck, but I do get to watch movies and listen to music and read (a lot) on the trains.
All things considered, however, I would definitely prefer a seven minute drive!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I was just thinking Dive, that you must read a lot, but you watch films too! At least there is some compensation then. It's ages since i was on a train. Do many watch films? I recall as a teenager, people would occasionally talk on a train. Is conversation dead? It's a more dangerous place now i suppose, so you don't speak to strangers.

Scout said...

Yikes, five hours! You must have pancake butt. Better than waffle butt, I suppose.

I hope tomorrow is better, Dive.

Anonymous said...

Can't you work from home more often?

Joy said...

I avoid going down to London like the plague! Especially in the winter.

So what time did you work day end?

joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You

dive said...

Lynn; if anyone chatty gets on a long-distance commuter train we usually kill them.
It's 5:40 in the morning. We need to finish our sleep.
That's one thing I hate about school holidays; we get loads of overexcited families on their way to the airport who only get up that early once a year and make life hell for those of us who have to do it daily.
The long-distance commuter is by nature grouchy and irritable and liable to outbursts of "Shut the fuck up!"
And conversation has long ago been killed off by mobile phones. The only people speaking on trains now are bellowing into crappy plastic boxes.

Lots of people watch DVDs on the train; usually on the way home (morning is for sleep).
I've been watching Buffy on my yummy widescreen MacBook Pro and usually people seem to watch TV series more than movies.

You do have to be careful which films you watch though, as you never know who'll be sitting next to you and behind you, peering at the screen.
I remember watching Jackie Brown (relatively harmless) and forgetting until it was too late the comedy sex scene with Bridget Fonda and Robert deNiro. Thank goodness there were no kids or old ladies about.

Robyn: Just call me old iron-butt.

Kate: I wish!

Joy: I worked through 'til about nine, then went to bed. Hey ho.

Maria said...

I get really fucking pouty when I have to drive more than a half hour anywhere.

Spoiled rotten. Yup.

dive said...

Ah, but you have to walk the dog in all weathers, Maria.