There I was hoping that Maria would post a meme that wasn't one of mine so I could post something to relieve my blogger's block, when Betty chips in with this horror-fest:
"List ten records in your collection that no man (or woman or child or even an Australian) should ever confess to owning."
How to destroy my credibility completely and forever in one short blogpost.
Right … Let the shaming begin:
1 - Apple Records catalogue number 002: Mary Hopkin - "Those Were The Days".
In mitigation, I was such a huge Beatles fan in '68 that when they started their own record label I decided to collect everything on it.
And it is a great song for drunken Russian dancing.
Sing along:
"Once upon a time there was a tavern … etc."
2 - The most horrendously embarrassing pile of tosh I ever bought: "Olias of Sunhillow" by Jon Anderson out of Yes.
Holy fuck! A forty-five minute long, unflushable turd of the most fœtid, stinking dregs of twee, sub-hobbit twaddle, sung in a squeaky voice by a man who took elves just a teensy bit too seriously.
And I bought the fucking thing!
Kill me now.
3 - "Deep In The Heart Of Nowhere" by the otherwise splendid Bob Geldof.
Okay, Bob … You were depressed. So was your songwriting talent. Believe me; this one should have stayed in the saddo diary and never come out.
4 - Yngwie Malmsteen's dire widdle-fest, "Odyssey."
What the fuck was I thinking? My head is in my hands and I am weeping like a girl.
5 - "Not Fragile", by Bachman Turner Overdrive.
Actually, this is Phil's. I think I borrowed it in 1974 but he's just been too embarrassed to ask for it back.
6 - Dammit! I've failed a meme!
I have thousands of records and well over a thousand CDs and I cannot really say I am embarrassed by any of them except the above.
I am a meme failure.
I cannot get it up.
Five out of ten.
What a gyp.
Oh, well … at least those five would bring me a death sentence on any planet with taste.

Your turn to fess up, peeps.
18 comments:
I don't have records :D Too young to own one hehe
But as long as you enjoy a piece of music, who cares,right? :D
joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You
Sorry, I only have a handful of records, and I treasure them all. I'll bet, though, that my record of Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire singing duets just a year or two before they died would not be allowed in your home. "We're just a couple of song and dance men/I'm the song/and I'm the dance..." I could keep going, but I'll stop there.
You are indeed too young, Joy!
And Robyn: I love Bing and Fred!
Mary Hopkins? (stifled snigger).
Well erm i sold all my albums i'm afraid. However! I do have lurking a CD......erm........Spice Girls.
Did you forget to mention the Bay City Rollers?
Mine would have to be Rod Stewart "Tonight's The Night" from 76
Oh, Lynn did you say the dreadful "S" word?
LYNN!!!!!
Hee hee hee hee hee.
Rich, yours is perhaps understandable for a man of our … er … vintage, but the Spice Girls, Lynn?
Fess up. Which one did you really wanna be?
OW!
Why, Geri of course!! Yes and i still like her Latin music so there. I said it. lol !
Okay i'll go further. I can even do the dance....Stop right now, thank you very much, i need somebody with the human to...ouch ... !! Hey you...always on the run....Oh good God what am i doing?
Be honest though, you've got the tune in your head now haven't you. he he.
I own Ultimate Manilow, and what's worse is that I am not afraid or embarrassed to admit it.
In fifth grade, I had Yngwie's hairdo.
It looked better on me.
We have two boxes of records. And there are just so many that I can pull out at any time and want to die.
Lots of Bee Gee albums. I even had an Andy Gibb one.
Bing has her own separate box. She claims that her albums refuse to intermingle with mine. Snob.
I had John Travolta's albumn at one time. I think my older sister burned it.
She did me a favor perhaps.
Oh...yeah...and I still have the Captain and Tenille.
Thankfully, Lynn, I never listen to "pop" radio, let alone the Spice Girls (who may well be very good for all I know), so I don't know the tune you're talking about.
Whew!
You do realise that when we meet up for coffee you're going to have to show me the dance!
Pilgrim: Some things are so awful that they go all the way round the dial and become cool again (in an ironic way). Bazza is a case in point.
Cool!
T: Photos!
Maria: I'm with Bing. I have a very snobbish record collection, too.
I think it's a "musician" thing.
Shazza: Welcome! The Captain and Tenille? Wow! That is truly scary.
Oh, and no thanks for getting me hooked on the odometer game again!
Hee hee.
Dive, I am in a hotel room in a town called Grong Grong (yes, that's right), reading about your records and lamenting the fact that I bought two at garage sales a few years ago and that's the extent of my collection. I own something by Steve Vai with a psychedelic cover and Switched On Bach. I've never listened to them.
Which is more disturbing - my record non-collection or the name of the town/collection of buildings in the middle of nowhere I'm staying in?
Yaay, Groover!
Steve Vai: great fun to play but achingly boring to listen to.
Switched on Bach: So cool it hurts (in a naff way).
Grong Grong: Sounds like the kind of outback sheepshagging station where a travelling lesbian is not going to get much action.
Good luck, Vic!
I thought i might have to, Dive. Oh Gawd.
I don't quite know how you escaped that song. It was everywhere, not just on the radio. Virtually fed into our ears at the time.
Thankfully, it never got as far as Radio 3, Lynn.
When my regular Saturday evening "Opera live from the MET" stages "Spice Girls: The Opera", then it will be time to kill myself.
Post a Comment