After delving into my vinyl for yesterday's post, this morning on the train I donned rubber gloves and waders (just for pleasure) and mounted an expedition to the nether reaches of my iPod in search of "unfortunate" musical choices.
Under the various genres of music, some distance beyond Apple's own "Unclassifiable" label, sits a genre I have named "Just Plain Wrong."
Let's go inside and sample the strangeness …
Hokay:
The wrongest thing on my iPod without doubt is still Leonard Nimoy's "The Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins."
On my very first blog post I reviewed this record thus:
"The Hobbit Song by Leonard Nimoy (yes, THAT Leonard Nimoy). Not currently available anywhere, as far as I know, but well worth maiming a friend for. Mad as a chocolate hat. Nimoy, what the fuck were you thinking? This is JUST PLAIN WRONG!
There's a video to go with it, too. I caught it once on late night tv and laughed so hard my dinner came out my nose."
And then our wonderful Betty actually tracked down the wrongest video of the wrongest song ever recorded.
But as her link no longer works, here it is, on YouTube:
Next up comes "Sabbatum" by Rondellus.
This is … erm … an album of Black Sabbath covers sung in Latin by a Finnish mediæval music collective.
They are all arranged as plainsong (like Gregorian chants) and it actually makes splendid dinner music. Lovely echoey choral voices singing in harmony.
Until your brain begins to unravel the tune to "War Pigs".
The word "strange" doesn't begin to do this record justice.
Amongst the other weird shit on my pod is my vast collection of obscure sixties psychedelia, including the impossibly wonderful "Granny Takes A Trip" by The Purple Gang and "So Much In Love", a song by poet Roger Mc.Gough and Paul Mc.Cartney's brother Mike Mc.Gear, which features Macca and a certain Jimi Hendrix playing lead guitar all over it. Rare and spiffy.
Then there's Big Black's gloriously trashy lo-fi album "Songs About Fucking" which delivers exactly what it says.
And Bongwater covering bizarre pædo-baldy Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll, Part 2".
Plus a speeded-up punk version of the theme tune to "The Banana Splits", by The Dickies (digitised from my yellow vinyl 7-incher).
An honourable mention must go to "Tony Benn's Greatest Hits", which is essentially a collection of parliamentary speeches by our greatest living socialist, set to trip-hop chill-out music.
Groovy and educational in equal measure, and actually very good indeed.
There is of course a plethora of stupidly obscure blues and country and parlour music recordings from the early years of the twentieth century.
And my wonderful party CD of traditional sea shanties and pirate songs.
The title of "Weirdest of the Weird", however, must go to the "so scratchy it's unlistenable" version, digitised from my 78rpm original (found in a junk shop pile of 78s in the seventies) of "The Laughing Yodeler", by the magnificently named "O. Joy and B. Gay".
Splendid.
So what's the weirdest thing in your iPod?
23 comments:
The banana splits?
Please, i so now have that fucking tune in my head.
The weirdest thing on my I pod right now? My vibrator - I can't work the stupid thing out (the i Pod) so I chucked it in a drawer six months ago, other stuff just accumulated innocently on top of it.
Hee hee, Kate. Just don't get the two muddled up!
I've got "Granny Takes A Trip" stuck in my head. It really is impossibly catchy.
My step mother in law is affectionately called granny. The last trip she took was to vietnam, she came back with a brand new state of the art ipod and she's currently bopping around to the foo fighters. Not bad for a sixty year old.
Yaay, Gran!
That's a bit like my seventy-year old Mum who I found happily listening to a Joy Division CD on Christmas morning.
There's hope for us yet.
Weirdest? The Star Wars Imperial March performed on Ocarina, Tuba and Ukulele.
Now that's one I've GOT to have, Vic!
When MIDI and primitive samplers were first available we used to dick around in the studio recording versions of songs using samples of the most inappropriate instruments we could think of.
My two favourites were:
The Last Post played on a sampled barrel organ, and best of all, Glen Miller's In The Mood played on massed bagpipes. The intro was cacophonously hilarious!
I got right into Ukulele versions of tunes - Check out Jake Shimabukuro doing My hEart Will Go On. It's actually listenable.
Email me - victhegroover@hotmail.com and I'll send you the file.
Hee hee. Cool, Vic.
The email's on its way.
I don't have an ipod or an mp3 player. love the Banana splits song though.
I was a Snorkey fan. Who was your favourite?
lol I don't have an ipod. Bit like you and mobile phones i'm afraid. I loathe the ting ting sounds that emanate from them. I spent a marriage with a high-volumed headphoned twat right next to me on the sofa and it kind of put me off.
Thankfully technology's changed, Lynn. There are still twats who know so little about anything that they actually use the crappy earphones that come with iPods and MP3 players, but now there are noise-cancelling headphones and in-ear buds that let you play the music at a much lower volume yet hear it a lot better, with none of the annoying leakage.
I don't have weird things on my iPod. Everything is absolutely wonderful.
Actually, there is one odd thing. A snobbish sounding man sings to one of Mozart's concertos about how someone has stolen his French horn, one he really loves playing every single day, and now he has no horn to play, and he really wants it back.
Poor chap, eh Robyn.
I'm glad there are less persecuted people out there then, Dive.
Ok so its wednesday here now - post already!
I'm too busy!
I'll have to write something on the train ride home.
Babe you could write a novel on those train rides home.
Don't work to hard.
I'm off to the hospital as i can't breathe, bloody lovely aussie weather.
Cheers Dive,
I have a few mad ones,
'Crazy Horses' by the Osmonds
'Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In the West)' by Benny Hill
'Right Said Fred' by Bernard Cribbins
'The Ying Tong Song' by the Goons
'The Q5 Piano Tune' by Spike Milligan
'The Trail of the Lonesome Pine' by Laurel & Hardy.
But I still cant find 'My Bruvva' by Terry Scott anywhere!
Kate: Good luck with the breathing thing. I would say "That sucks" but you'd probably slug me.
Feel better soon!
Mike: "Who put a real live toad in the hole?"
Woohoo! I'd forgotten that one.
Excellent!
And I still have your copy of Crazy Horses on my iPod.
Waaaaah … Waaaaaaaaah … etc.
I kid you not. I laughed so hard at Leonard Nimoy that I nearly choked. I mean...good hell...THOSE EARS and then he looked all chuckly and snuggly. I kept thinking that it couldn't get worse and it kept getting worse and worse....Spock would have simply DIED with shame.
And then I collect myself and start reading your comments and someone posts about The Osmond's Crazy Horses and I lost it all over again.
"crazy horses.....uhrearrr uhreeaaar..."
Hee hee hee hee hee, Maria.
I think the Nimoy song even beats Shatner's "The Transfigured Man" for the sheer power to induce cringes.
Got no iPod :D
And why are these songs again on yours?
joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
Norwich Daily Photo
I like weird stuff, joy.
Post a Comment