Sunday, September 23, 2012

Recipe of the Year

Just got this off the Guardian website.
Nigel Slater is a man after my own heart … and kidneys …
Holy fuck! I am so gonna eat this until I burst.

BLACK PUDDING FAGGOTS AND STOUT GRAVY

A traditional faggot is wrapped in caul fat to hold it together. Increasingly difficult to get hold of, this thin membrane of fat is replaced here by an outer casing of bacon.

pork belly 125g
an onion
lamb's liver 250g
black pudding 100g
garlic cloves 2
white pepper
fresh white breadcrumbs 50g
streaky bacon 12 rashers
cocktail sticks
stout, or other dark beer 500ml

DIRECTIONS

Set the oven at 180C. Peel and chop the onion. Cut the pork belly up a little and drop it into the bowl of a food processor, then blitz with the onion and lamb's liver till coarsely chopped. Add the black pudding and blitz very briefly, then tip into a large mixing bowl. Crush the garlic and add it to the meat, together with a generous grinding of salt and white pepper. Mix in the breadcrumbs.

Divide the mixture into six equal amounts. Place them on a work surface and roll loosely into balls. Wrap each with two rashers of bacon, overlapping, around the outside of the meat, leaving the top of each open, then secure each with a couple of cocktail sticks. Transfer carefully to a roasting tin or baking dish.

Pour the stout into the roasting tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, till the tops are lightly crusted. Check the seasoning of the liquor in the pan before serving.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Just out of sheer curiosity, just what is black pudding?

dive said...

Congealed pigs' blood and oatmeal, Ky.
You wouldn't believe how delicious it is fried up for breakfast.

Speedway said...

My dad was English, came over to the States with his parents when he was 13. As kids, my brother, sister and I would often come home to find my dad indulging himself in some head cheese or blood sausage. He never had to share it.

The onion, garlic, flour, streaky bacon, white pepper and stout all sound really good.

dive said...

Speedway, you'd be astonished at how delicious it really is. Your dad had great taste.

Unknown said...

Oh god I can't believe I am about to type this but here goes - Head Cheese, please explain to an uneducated Aussie.

Kate said...

OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY! Can I come over for supper? This sounds so nummy; and I think that bacon beats caul fat. Do tell me that we're not talking about a human caul? Are other mammals sometimes born with cauls?

dive said...

Ky, head cheese is brawn. Put politely, it's a terrine of head meat (and sometimes other parts that are not usually in much demand but are extremely tasty) set in aspic and lightly spiced. I've made it with pig's head meat, herbs and nutmeg. Traditionally the jelly is set not with aspic but with the naturally setting stock the head was boiled in.
From personal experience I can tell you that stripping the boiled pig's head of meat is not the most wonderful experience but the meat itself is delicious.

Kate, come on over. No, we're not talking about human caul; it's usually calf.