Speedway, being Queen of Indy Circuit high speed car porn photography, will back me up on this: when a car is travelling at well over a hundred miles per hour; no matter how good your panning technique …
… no matter how pin-sharp your manual focusing; no matter how spot-on your shutter speed (that magical and very narrow window that stops the car dead but keeps its wheels moving - something that your camera's "sport" mode will never achieve, so leave it switched to manual) …
… No matter how good you are …
… that fucking post will always get in the way. Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn!
Nothing that a bit of Photoshop wankery can't fix, however. What the hell did I do before Photoshop?




11 comments:
Yep.
What in the name of all that goes "VROOM" are you doing up at this hour? My dashboard clock tells me you're either cat-burgling or have turned vampire.
I've been working on my book, making sure the captions and photos all have matching numbers and are assigned to their appropriate spots in the book. Just when I think I have it all lined out, somebody rears it's rebellious head.
And ... at 2 a.m. Darryl's place was on my friendly local TV station with Smokey Robinson.
Oh, oh, oh ... I think Norwich has it's own Gherkin! I was looking for the sculpture earlier and, amid Norwich's public sculpture, there is one with a definite Gherkin-shaped frame with a more slender, solid Gherkin emerging from it.
Sheesh! Get to bed! You'll be so over-tired you'll edit your photos upside-down.
Norwich does indeed have some Gherkin-like structures, and a spiffy Skylon lookalike, too. The flower, however, is in London, somewhere down between the Gherkin and Tower Hill.
I did, I did. Will do the last half of it today. Then put it all on that amorphous digital creature called "the cloud." Yay.
And the right front tires on a couple of those Ferraris look like they weren't all that well struck to the pavement. Were they turning left where you were?
For the longest time, there were no poles to get in photog's way at Indy. Our credentials got us into an area between the track, a creek and the fence. I mostly stood with my back to the fence. Then, as the danger from flying parts and cars increased, they built a big fence, put us behind it where slots had been cut for our use. When they reconfigured the track for the bikes, they covered over the creek. There is no more Turn One for spectators and photogs. Damn.
Yay indeed! I'm looking forward to reading it.
The Ferraris were just hitting No Name Corner (not much of a corner; more a light left veer at the end of a long, uphill straight). They're going around a hundred and ten and flinging the wheel over to drift around the bend. Depending on the car (and the driver) Goodwood has some three-wheel corners and they're always good photo opportunities.
Track safety is a good thing, but photographers should have access to the good corners; I suppose it's a compromise.
Good shots,as always. You're a wizard with Photoshop.
Many thanks, Ms.M.
I'm not so much a wizard at Photoshop as a sad old git with way too much time on my hands.
I can't say whether it's sad or not, but I can say that I know another really bright, apparently nice man who spends his time messin' around in Photoshop. You are not alone.
It's a Catch 22 situation, Speedway: it's BECAUSE I'm alone that I can spend so much time dicking around in Photoshop.
Post a Comment