Yup, it's Rupp.
Here's how the US press saw it.
Sure: Jess Ennis is Britain's Golden Girl and let's not take anything away from her astonishing achievement, but for me it was Mo in the 10,000metres that I was waiting for.
I've been a fan of Mo Farah for years, frustratingly watching him get bullied and shoved and blocked and repeatedly edged out in the last lap by the tactics of the Ethiopian team. He's the best 10,000metres runner in the world but as his home Olympic race got under way last night the Ethiopians once again outnumbered and surrounded him and it looked like being another case of tactics beating talent.
But this time it was different. A figure in red was there like a protecting angel, countering every Ethiopian surge and bunch and riding shotgun for Mo.
A little while back, Mo disappeared from these shores and headed into the beautiful woods of Oregon. There he met local boy Galen Rupp and they hit it off as friends and training partners.
Last night I watched (and shouted and pinballed off the walls) as the Anglo-American pair took on the three Ethiopians and beat every spoiling effort with sheer guts and talent.
The last lap meant I can hardly speak this morning.
So - and this is a shock to me as well as to my lovely Colonial friends - my moment of the games was watching the face of an all-American boy just after Mo crossed the finishing line. Close behind him, in second place, Oregon's own Galen Rupp crossed the line and shouted "MO!" He didn't shout "Yoo Ess Ay", he looked across at this friend and celebrated their achievement. The pair collapsed together, Mo flat on his back and Galen leaning over him, signing "one - two" with his fingers; his knees and shins spattered with blood from the spikes he'd taken for his efforts.
Yes, I know you're supposed to run, swim, throw, pedal, sail, paddle or whatever for your country, but Nationalism be damned. This was friendship, comradeship, international cooperation and it beats Nationalism hands down.
Three cheers for Mo Farah and Galen Rupp for showing us what the Olympic Spirit really should be.
Oh, and hoorah, too, for Joanna Rowsell, for leaving her wig at home and proudly taking gold as the poster girl for alopœcia sufferers worldwide. Brave and beautiful.

15 comments:
My comment just got eaten!
So I will try again…and hope I do not have a repeated post…I like Dive shouted at the Tv willing for Mo to win and what a great partnership with Rupp he was like a guardian angel.
Also I agree that Joanna was so brave to face the world and help all those suffering with alopecia I know how I feel if my hair is not feeling right so well done to her.
All our athletes deserve a real pat on the back, as we are such a small nation to the rest of the competitors.
Yup: third place in the medal table, but way out first (he said, succumbing to awful Nationalism) on a medals per population basis.
Looking forward to another day of shouting at the telly today.
I watched yesterday afternoon, too, fully expecting the big guy in the red singlet to fade, just as all others have done over the years. But then, he and Mo have been trained by Alberto Salazar, who worked them on speed and, surely, developed the tactics that carried them to the medals. The whole thing was beautiful.
Beautiful indeed, Speedway. Salazar told them to go at 200 metres and watching the replay that's just where they hit the afterburners and trashed the opposition. Inspirational stuff and a wonderful example of international cooperation.
I don't know a thing about sports, but I do know a few things about friendship. To those who don't believe it's possible to revel in a friend's victory, I say they need to get themselves a real friend. It's a joy to see a friend succeed, even if that friend is in competition with me, because my friend's success is my success.
Beautifully put, Petrea.
Having said that, I still love Gore Vidal's gloriously sarky "Every time a friend succeeds, a little piece of me dies."
Watching Mo and Galen whooping it up together last night, however, almost drained me of cynicism (and you know how monstrously cynical I am).
Yay, friendship!
Great story Dive!
I didn't know the Ethiopians were so nasty.
Congrats to Mo. I checked out his webpage.
After reading this I am so glad my niece will be attending the University of Oregon in the fall. She is an amazing runner ranked 11th in our country for her age group. She is a gorgeous bi-racial girl who was born with this amazing ability.
Oh and by the way, Congratulations to the Brits for rocking the Olympics! 37 medals!
Wow, 37. That's great.
Oregon is beautiful, Neetzy, your niece will love it.
I thought about Vidal, Dive, and wondered if that quote was just him being snarky or if he never had a good friend.
I've missed it all so far, sugar! Fortunately for me, you and other pals are doing a marvelous job of reporting on the 2012 Games! *cheers* xoxoxoxx
(Tuesday is going to be BGM's birthday!) *double cheers & positive thoughts*
Neetzy, distance running is a vicious sport; team tactics often spoil a good race. So refreshing to see them beaten at their own game.
Great news about your niece attending Oregon. It sounds like it's not only the landscape people go there for.
And thanks; we are as amazed as we are pleased at our medal haul.
Petrea, I think it was just Vidal being Vidal; saying something hilariously bitchy because it's funny and will get up people's noses. The Guardian ran a whole magazine (A to Z of Vidal) of quotes and anecdotes as a tribute when he died last week. I laughed so hard I couldn't eat my lunch.
If I were vacationing in LA I'd not bother with the Olympics, Savannah.
Yay, birthdays!
Well, now. Up and dressed. Make up in place. Sit down at the computer and read what's new with Dive.
Back into the bathroom to repair make up job after bursting into tears...
Woohoo! I scored my first point! The score currently reads: Maria 473 - Dive 1 in the making one another cry event.
You're still the golden girl when it comes to making me bawl like a baby. That's the main reason I didn't comment on Liv's birthday.
I'm not much of a sports fan, but this is a wonderful story of friendship and teamwork. Yes, 3 cheers for Mo and Galen!
Perhaps they'll start a new trend, Ms.M.
We can only hope.
Post a Comment