I love the Olympics. I will watch just about anything. This morning it was gymnastics. Last night it was women's swimming.
I have no idea why it enthralls me so. I am not athletic at all. I just love watching those young people putting it all on the line. Training years for one afternoon. Wow.
And I love every bit of it, too. Had dreams of participating, but came to running too late. When I was a girl I saw Wilma Rudolph's grainy image on my TV screen as she won gold medals in Rome. I went out to the backyard, made myself a hurdle and ran and jumped over it day after day. I asked my mom to take me to the local girls' club that had a track team. "No, they won't take you. Only colored girls go there. White girls don't do that." Damn, I loved to run. Same with swimming. The only swim team was at the country club. We didn't belong - "No, not our kind and we don't have the money." We were poor and "not our kind" were Jewish. I was little. What did I know? The changes in attitudes in (most) of this country have been of so much benefit to everyone, and Title IX legislation has been a huge difference, too.
It's because of girls like you that the US is heading the medals table today, Speedway, one gold ahead of China with all its billions of drilled athletes. I can't believe we're running third! Considering the teeny tinyness of our island compared to the US and China I'm pretty chuffed with how well we're doing.
Ah, we're sharing weather again. It's been thundering fit to bust here lately; this afternoon we had a cracking storm and we're due more to come. Enjoy the show, both on the TV and out the window.
I only wished they showed more than women's beach volleyball around here. NBC truly sucks. Luckily my daughters have found the equestrian sports and fencing on the obscure channels. My fencer is entranced by the Italian Men's fencing team.
Neetzy, I 'd love to see more of the equestrian sports, but have only found bits of it. If you go to nbcsportsdotcom and their olympics coverage, you can find schedules for the coverage on all the channels plus livestreaming on the 'net. I've yet to figure out though, how to get my info & provider to match up.
Yay, indeedy, Speedway. I don't tire of watching that on replay.
Beach volleyball? We have to really dig down deep in the internet channels to find that, Neetzy; over here it's all athletics, gymnastics, rowing, sailing and cycling, tennis, badminton, fencing, table tennis, marathons,triath and heptathlons, hockey, football, horsey stuff, blah blah blah; beach volleyball has to be searched out online. NBC truly does suck. Perhaps you should pay them a visit and bring the fencing team with you to emphasise your criticism.
Speedway, I'm astonished at the lack of coverage on US TV. Baffling in the extreme, especially considering how well your athletes are doing.
NBC has Olympics coverage on 24/7. Lots of swimming, which I didn't mind, and gymnastics. But the beach volleyball thing is being covered down to the last toenail on the women. It may have something to do with the time difference. There'll be coverage of show jumping later, but today I've seen kayak quals (men's) and synchronized swimming prelims (not men's. Ever).
12 comments:
I love the Olympics. I will watch just about anything. This morning it was gymnastics. Last night it was women's swimming.
I have no idea why it enthralls me so. I am not athletic at all. I just love watching those young people putting it all on the line. Training years for one afternoon. Wow.
Cynical old goat that I am, Maria, I love every moment of it, too.
Please don't tell anyone I said that …
And I love every bit of it, too. Had dreams of participating, but came to running too late. When I was a girl I saw Wilma Rudolph's grainy image on my TV screen as she won gold medals in Rome. I went out to the backyard, made myself a hurdle and ran and jumped over it day after day. I asked my mom to take me to the local girls' club that had a track team. "No, they won't take you. Only colored girls go there. White girls don't do that." Damn, I loved to run. Same with swimming. The only swim team was at the country club. We didn't belong - "No, not our kind and we don't have the money." We were poor and "not our kind" were Jewish. I was little. What did I know? The changes in attitudes in (most) of this country have been of so much benefit to everyone, and Title IX legislation has been a huge difference, too.
It's because of girls like you that the US is heading the medals table today, Speedway, one gold ahead of China with all its billions of drilled athletes.
I can't believe we're running third! Considering the teeny tinyness of our island compared to the US and China I'm pretty chuffed with how well we're doing.
Thank you, Dive. You're kind. And I've been cheering for GB, too. Cycling and rowing, primarily, with a bit of swimming thrown in?
Shhh, don't speak a word of this, but I think there may be a s-t-o-r-m headed our way. There's a bit of sun being pushed aside by a big, black cloud.
Ah, we're sharing weather again. It's been thundering fit to bust here lately; this afternoon we had a cracking storm and we're due more to come.
Enjoy the show, both on the TV and out the window.
And yay for your guy who earlier won the men's 10K. The US got silver, a man who trains in Oregon with the Brit.
I only wished they showed more than women's beach volleyball around here. NBC truly sucks. Luckily my daughters have found the equestrian sports and fencing on the obscure channels. My fencer is entranced by the Italian Men's fencing team.
Neetzy, I 'd love to see more of the equestrian sports, but have only found bits of it. If you go to nbcsportsdotcom and their olympics coverage, you can find schedules for the coverage on all the channels plus livestreaming on the 'net.
I've yet to figure out though, how to get my info & provider to match up.
Yay, indeedy, Speedway. I don't tire of watching that on replay.
Beach volleyball? We have to really dig down deep in the internet channels to find that, Neetzy; over here it's all athletics, gymnastics, rowing, sailing and cycling, tennis, badminton, fencing, table tennis, marathons,triath and heptathlons, hockey, football, horsey stuff, blah blah blah; beach volleyball has to be searched out online.
NBC truly does suck. Perhaps you should pay them a visit and bring the fencing team with you to emphasise your criticism.
Speedway, I'm astonished at the lack of coverage on US TV. Baffling in the extreme, especially considering how well your athletes are doing.
NBC has Olympics coverage on 24/7. Lots of swimming, which I didn't mind, and gymnastics. But the beach volleyball thing is being covered down to the last toenail on the women. It may have something to do with the time difference. There'll be coverage of show jumping later, but today I've seen kayak quals (men's) and synchronized swimming prelims (not men's. Ever).
Glad to hear you're getting more than skinny women's butt cracks, Speedway.
Post a Comment