Monday, December 08, 2008

Update …

Monday, Monday.
So good to me …

Well, now that's stuck in your head all day I can update you on the IT apocalypse.
Having worked myself a headache this weekend trying to catch up and repair the damage I'm glad to be back in the office today. I'm working just as hard as I was at the weekend but here I don't have to cook, clean, mow, tidy, iron, wash, wipe or any of the other crap that I spend my weekends doing.

Being a "paperless office" we fortunately have everything backed up on paper, including all the working drawings that IT are frantically scurrying around trying to rescue from the crash.
Which leaves smug Old Dive (with all my work archived at home on a spare Mac away from the servers) almost back up to speed and everybody else grumbling like pensioners at the prospect of redrawing hundreds of working drawings on CAD from paper backups (there's no point scanning in vector drawings so they've got rather a lot of work to do).

The words "hee" and "hee" creep into my mind.
Not that I want to see everyone here working through the Christmas break (ha) but I did get in this morning to find my workstation wantonly festively festooned so perhaps there is a God … even if it's just a God of petty revenge.

Right … back to being smug.

17 comments:

savannah said...

*sigh* i do so love you, sugar! ;) xoxoxo

Nathalie H.D. said...

Now we need a photo of that workstation!

dive said...

The feeling's mutual, Savannah.
xoxoxo

Nathalie: mercifully I took all the crap down before I started work.

Scout said...

You took all the crap down? You know your co-workers are just going to put it back up again just for spite, don't you? Or maybe that just what I would do. hee hee

dive said...

Sigh … You're probably right, Robyn, though they won't dare do it until I've been working at home later this week.

Katie said...

Brilliant to have backed up your work Dive. But I'm a little concerned that you're actually happy to be at the office. However it's gotta be sweet to be the only one not freaked out about recreating lost work. To be especially cruel, you could tack up a sign at your desk to replace the Christmas decorations that says "Jesus saves, and so should you."

dive said...

Ah, I do admire someone who can be so sadistic while still in pyjamas, Katie.

Katie said...

When I moved to CA 11 years ago I was living with mum before I found an apartment and was working temp office jobs, and while on one job I had this huge document I had to type into the system, and I kept saving every 15 minutes or so because I was thinking of that "Jesus Saves and so should you" slogan because my mom had it on a little post-it by her Mac (as sort of a joke, but she did need to remember to save her work, especially while working on the church newsletter). Anyway, late in the afternoon there was a power failure in the office and everyone freaked because no one regularly saved their work (I guess this was pre auto-save), but I was pretty smug (and the boss was pretty happy) because I'd only lost a few minutes of typing. Granted I couldn't type all this until I got out of my pyjamas, but at least I could come up with the slogan to share with you while still in bed. Here's hoping nothing bad happens at the office today in retribution for me being sadistic toward your co-workers.

dive said...

Smug is such a lovely feeling, isn't it, Katie?

And somebody who can be evil in pyjamas is so much scarier than people who can only do it in uniform.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Jesus Saves and so should you... now there isn't much I'm prepared to save from the world of Religion but I'll take those words, thanks Katie!
LOL

Katherine said...

Heh heh. Never trust.

Always back up.

Moral for the season if you want to have a season. Good for you, Dive!

Anonymous said...

Like a boy scout your are "Always Prepared", Dive. Good job. You deserve a raise in pay.

MmeBenaut said...

Very clever slogan from Katie! I think anyone who has been involved with computers has had some sort of similar experience with losing the typewritten word or words but working drawings are something else entirely (from one who trained once upon a time to produce some and knows the effort involved). :)

Nathalie H.D. said...

"somebody who can be evil in pyjamas is so much scarier than people who can only do it in uniform." - I think this is worth questioning.

Aren't there countless people who the moment they put on a uniform abandon all personal judgement and perform evil actions yet are perfect husbands and spouses at home in pyjamas? Don't you find them scarier than those who are predictable throughout?

Maria said...

You remind me so much of Bing what with your insistence on using homemade stock and backing up everything on the Mac at home....

I really think you two must be twins. Except...let's see...she is only 49...so well...she must be your younger sister....

neetzy said...

Katie I love it! Dive you keep on keepin on. Salvation has a whole new meaning to me now!

Shan said...

"The words "hee" and "hee" come to mind" make several "HEE's and many more "HA's" come to mine! You silly thing. :D