Not Robyn's cat (though hoorah for him, too), but our very own Mike of many posts passim.
Here am I with a non-functioning brain and nothing to blog about when the phone rings and it's Mikey telling me The Great Hospital is having an open day. Yay!
The Great Hospital is a monastic almshouse hospital founded in 1249 that has been in continual operation ever since and back in the early nineties Mike and myself were part of the firm of Architects who looked after the place, so we leapt at the opportunity to wallow in nostalgia and to take lots of photos of a place that's almost never open to the public.
So … for the next few days I will be posting our nostalgiafest (boy, did it bring back some memories for us both!), but it's going to take a while to go through all the pics so for today here are a few photos I took on my walk along the river to meet Mike.
It doesn't look it but it was fucking cold today. I still had ice on my car at half-twelve when I left for Norwich.
Tis the season for being very careful about precisely which bracket fungus you take home to eat.Not this one, for a start.
Pull's Ferry with a brace of swans.So … tune in tomorrow to get bored rigid by a mediæval photo tour and a couple of old men wallowing in strange memories.
13 comments:
Three great photos Dive. Im sure tomorrows post will not disappoint.
Pah! I could have told you that. If you mean the teaching hospital open day? Er...perhaps you don't! My parents told me about it and my son and I may well attend, since he wants to do medicine of some sort. I've probably just spoken a lot of gibberish if this is not the same open day. Er. Clearly not, since it's today. Ho hum. Forgive me. I've spent too long stirring Christmas cake mixture; I must be stir crazy. lol.
Thanks, Mark. I hope they don't.
Hee hee, Lynn. No, it's nothing to do with the teaching hospital. In fact it's not a "hospital" as we know the word today. It's beautiful, though, so I hope you enjoy the tour.
And your cake of course.
They are gorgeous shots, Dive.
1249??? That's so hard to comprehend to someone coming from a country that only has two hundred years of architectural history, and insists on bulldozing it for new developments rather than maintaining it.
You guys are so lucky.
We're not lucky; we're just old, Vic.
I'm waiting the Great Hospital Mystery!!!???
It's not what you wallow in, Dive, but how you wallow in it that counts.
I love this stuff. Your photos are beautiful. I came back from Ireland with a T-Shirt from Dublin's Brazen Head pub est. in 1199. That's the best I could do. They only had "staff" T-shirts available. I got it for the date!
I look forward to tomorrow's post.
gorgeous, sugar! hard to believe it was cold! xoxoxox
I adore the photo of Pull's Ferry with the swans! I would happily spend all day hanging out there (with warmer weather of course). Can't wait to get rigid tomorrow looking at your mediæval photo tour and hearing your old men memories. Bring out your dead. Clang.
So far, the photos leading up to the nostalgic trip are very, very cool. I love the breathy trees along the waterway. They look painterly.
can't wait!
Well, golly gee whiz...that is divine.
Post a Comment