Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Great Hospital, Pt.2

Righto … Now you've seen the shabby state that buildings can get into after almost a thousand years of neglect and have glimpsed our desperate attempts to preserve what's left, let us venture inside the east end of St.Helen's Church where we will discover one of the most truly strange rooms I know of.

Laydees and gentlemen, pray allow me to introduce The Great Hospital's "Eagle Ward".

That's a doozy of a ceiling, isn't it?
Any guesses as to when it was painted and why?
Hokay, I'll tell you.

Way back in the 1370s, Bishop Henry Despenser (known to himself and his thuggish apologists as "The Fighting Bishop" but actually a particularly nasty mercenary in Pope Urban V's mad Vatican Army) was put in charge here when Urban got sick of him.
The Black Death raged all about. In 1371 almost half of the population of Norwich died of it and the streets would have resounded to the carters' Pythonesque cries of "Bring out your dead!"
And following hot on the pestilential heels of the Black Death came The Peasants' Revolt.

Eventually things started to settle down again and in 1381 Despenser himself put murder, rape and pillage behind him and rebuilt the chancel as an act of thanksgiving for the failure of The Peasants' Revolt.
While he was at it he spotted an opportunity to suck up to some royal patronage and decided to spruce the east end of the church up a bit for the visit in 1383 of Anne of Bohemia, King Richard the Second's new bride.

The black spreadeagle was her family motif and so the existing chestnut boarded ceiling - already almost two hundred years old - was decorated with carved and gilded bosses and framework to form 252 separate panels, in each of which was painted an eagle.

Six hundred and twenty-five years later it is still in remarkably spiffy condition, having survived a fire during Kett's Rebellion in 1549 (see old Norwich posts), another one in 1888 and a clutch of German bombs just across the road in 1942.

Now that we've admired the spectacular ceiling, we can lower our eyes and discover something truly strange and more than a little disturbing.

This is the upper floor that we mentioned yesterday and since the mid 1600s, the luckier among the city's elderly and infirm were housed here.
The current cubicles are Victorian and we'll take a good look around them in a moment, but what is truly scary is that these - with no running water until the 1950s and toilet facilities down a twisty staircase and out across several courtyards and alleys down toward the river - were still in use in the 1980s!

For a while this had been a unisex ward for the women, though the central corridor was a communal "snuggery" for everyone to use and was by all accounts quite a social gathering place.

Let's take a peek into one of the bedrooms, shall we?
Other than the obvious additions of contemporary newspapers (and a great copy of The Magnet comic with Billy Bunter on the cover) these rooms have remained exactly as they were when the last occupants were rehoused in the early 1980s.
Note the chamberpot beside the bed. Even in the eighties there were no inside toilets here and it was a fair old walk in the dark to get to the outside privy.

This is the other half of the same room.
Until quite recently this was all the space each person had to live in, but after a critical report in the 1950s every pair of bedrooms had a communal parlour between them made from what had been a third bedroom.

Again, until the fifties when the big old heaters were put in, the only heat came from a small fireplace at each end of the ward where the old folk used to huddle together.
I can vouch from many, many visits for the fact that this place is fucking freezing on all but the hottest summer days.

Here's one of the shared parlours between the bedrooms.
The trunk under the table is where the women's personal belongings would be kept.

Not much space for two crotchety old biddies to share their last years in, is it?
Check out the thickness of that partition.
There was no privacy here.
But of course, a few hundred years back, when the poor of the surrounding parish were living twenty to a room in dank, rat-infested cellars this was the height of luxury.

At least the residents had lovely windows, even though standing near them is like standing in front of an open freezer.
The buildings in the background are some of the more modern accommodation which Mike and I refurbished and extended during our time looking after the place. We'll take a look at those later in the week.

Another bedroom and parlour.
I remember my grandparents' homes feeling very similar when I was a lad. Dark furniture and bric-a-brac.
It makes me feel comfortable, as those of you who've seen my house with its dark furniture and bric-a-brac may have guessed.

There was a "snug" at either end of the ward where folk could gather round the tiny fireplace and stave off hypothermia.
Other than the chimneybreast itself, the walls here are icy to the touch and run with condensation in the winter.
Of course with only two puny little fireplaces in this cavernous hall the pitiful amount of heat they generated all went straight up to the ceiling and out through the high windows while drawing cold air in where the old folk huddled.

Here's where our nostalgia started to really kick in.
This kind of stuff was commonplace when I was young. Indeed it was still in use here until only twenty-five years ago.

We used to have a mincer like that! And bars of Fairy soap!
Boy, I wish we still had our old scales. I used to love playing with those weights when I was a nipper.

The running water was installed in the fifties. Before that, the ward had a designated "water carrier" to lug pails of cold water up here.

Having no toilet facilites folk had to rely on chamberpots and bedpans. With the open plan layout of the place that must have been pretty nasty at times.

Not as nasty as some of this lot, however. I shudder at the sight of that surgeon's knife.

Here was where the food was prepared for the poor old dears. Again, it only recently got running water.

Having said all that, by all accounts the residents loved the place - except for the cold and the lack of an indoor privy. But they were well cared for and could look out north to the river and south over the Cathedral and lie in bed and gaze at the lovely ceiling. Apart from two disruptive old gents who were expelled in 1631, everyone seems to have been happy here.

Up until the 1950s they were fed a diet of bread and gruel but had fourteen "Meat Days" spread throughout the year.
On Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays suet puddings were added to the menu plus ten ounces of butter and twelve ounces of cheese per week to snack on between gruel.
Residents were also given two pints of The Great Hospital's own beer per day as the water was unsafe to drink unless you really fancied cholera. The hospital's brewhouse only closed down in 1865 after the busybodies from the Temperance movement insisted on being paid a shilling a week in lieu of beer.

The last photo today shows one reason why it is always so bloody cold in the Eagle Ward.
Downstairs are the unheated storerooms and workshop of the caretaker and all that separates this freezer from the ward above is thin floorboards and several layers of rugs.

So … That was the weird and wonderful Eagle Ward of The Great Hospital.
Spiffy, huh?
Tomorrow we shall feast on eye candy when we wander the cloisters.

29 comments:

Cynthia said...

What an incredible place! You Brits are tough, or at least you were in the olden days; imagine living in such a place and shivering 24/7.

I love your writing! So lucid, descriptive and altogether entertaining. Looking forward to Part 3!

A very happy New Year to you.

Alifan said...

May I say Happy New Year to you Cynthia through Dives Blog......

Son that is a great piece of writing loved it all....I still have a chamber pot, not in use I hasten to add..

dive said...

Hi, Cynthia and thank you. You are too kind as always.
Yes, it is indeed a marvellous place and I feel privileged to have been a small part of its history.

Those "olden days" continued right up until the early 1980s, which I find more than a little disturbing, but I do like the way they've kept the place as a kind of museum.

Ther rest of the hospital is far duller and more conventional but as you'll see tomorrow the cloisters are really pretty.

You've still got the old potty, mum?
Hee hee.
Boy howdy, you would have been in nostalgia Heaven in there; all those fabulous old kitchen things took me right back.
Talking of which, we should really do Stranger's Hall museum this year.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Fascinating, Dive. A bleak place indeed. Very brr. That mincer rings a bell with me too but it wouldn't have been in my home, I'm not sure where I've seen it. The cooker too seems familiar, again, not in my home though. Curious! Definitely ringing bells. Gosh I think the whole place looks cold and depressing but am so glad you showed it to us.

dive said...

Bleak yet beautiful, Lynn.
Yes, it's cold in there but there's something magical about the place. I've seen photos of it filled with people and it looks a lot more pleasant.
The residents today have wonderful homes (though I say so myself having designed some of them) and it is truly the place to retire to if you can get in.
Which I can't, as I've not been a Norwich resident all my life and passed several tests and been recommended by various people and approved by the board.
Hey ho.

Lulubelle B said...

I'm loving this, Dive.

Is Bishop Henry Despenser part of the same Despenser family that gave us the Hughs? The time period seems right, as does his rank. (No, I didn't google this. Just pulled a couple of books off the shelf. If you watch my reading list you might have noticed that last year I read Alison Weir's biography of Isabella along with "The Greatest Traitor" by Ian Mortimer [no relation].) Can't wait to see the cloisters!

Happy New Year to you, Dive. Best wishes for a healthy, happy and/or cranky 2009.

:^D

dive said...

A very happy, healthy and wonderful New Year to you too, Lulu.
Yes indeedy; well spotted. It is the same family. There were a whole bunch of grasping, nasty feudal overlords foisted on us by the Normans (and later by various Popes) and their awful descendants still own most of the land around here, curse them.
I have the misfortune to know a lot of them and I am always distressed by the stupid law that says I cannot hunt them with dogs or shoot them on sight.
Here in rural Norfolk we still have a few hundred years to go before we can drag ourselves out of the middle ages.
Sigh …

Scout said...

Alifan, I'm glad to hear you aren't using a chamber pot!

Why on earth did they take so long to add running water, and while they were at it, why didn't they add a toilet or two?

It's a fascinating place, though. And I loved your history lesson.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the history lessons and beautiful pictures. Happy New Year to you if I don't make it around again today.
xxoo
Pru

dive said...

Robyn: it is impossible to install toilet facilities in there without wrecking the place. Much better to keep it as a fun museum to help fundraising and build comfy new homes for the residents.

Happy New Year to you too, Prudence!

Katie said...

Spiffy and then some! Amazing to read about the history of The Great Hospital - I especially like that they spiffed the place up for Anne of Bohemia's visit. Plus her family motif sure makes for a stunning ceiling. Glad that's held up. I'm not sure what exactly a "snuggery" is, but it sounds like it was a jolly place to hang out. I love the bedrooms and parlours; the furniture and little rugs and such make it look like exactly the kind of place I'd like to live. Granted, not with another batty old lady sleeping in the same room, and I have become accustomed to a WC, so a chamberpot and bedpan would be tough to deal with (not to mention COLD). Brrr. Very cool that they've turned this into a museum that funds new homes (that I hope have indoor bathrooms).

Enjoy the last few hours of 2008! I'm so happy I met you this year, and I look forward to lots more fun in 2009!

dive said...

I do so love the word "spiffy", Katie.

The snuggery was a place where you could squeeze lots of pensioners together for warmth.
I know you would like to live in a converted old church but really they are impossibly expensive to keep from falling down and - like mediæval barns - have been unheated for so many centuries that as soon as you install decent heating the whole place warps and cracks and tumbles around your ears.

The residents' new homes do indeed have bathrooms and wheel-in showers and proper heating and nice views and lovely kitchens and wonderful nurses and staff catering to their every whim. It's a great place.

When we next meet we'll have to fight over who was happiest to meet the other this year; I know it was me, so nyaah!
Bring on 2009!

Anonymous said...

Great tour Dive. I really enjoy the history of the place. If those walls could only talk. Perhaps they do. Have a Happy & Prosperous New Year. I have greatly enjoyed your writings (and recipes) this past year. Best to you.

dive said...

Those walls may not talk much but they certainly creak a lot, Mark. And they whistle and moan too when the wind blows.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year yourself. I have enjoyed your company hugely and only regret that you don't blog yourself.
I just prepped a new cooking post this lunchtime; I am so glad someone appreciates them.
Cheers!

Istvanski said...

That Hoover / vacuum cleaner takes me back - it's similar to the one my mum used when she was the cleaner of a local pub in Tooting.

Happy New Year to you, Dive.

dive said...

Hee hee! We had a Hoover Junior, too!

Have a great New year, Istvanski!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that great article.
Thanks for the story.
Thanks for the pictures.
It seems that we are really looking
at, maybe not so old but being certainly cold, miserable women and men in their daily-and nightly-life.
The banks are falling down,
the stock exchange is collapsing,
the unemployment is raising,
the consumering Society is decreasing,
Isn't It mad to have wishes while
Future is so incertain and Hope so fragile?
The ritual of January 1st compels us to Optimism.
May I say Happy New Year to you Dive?
Let us again share our thoughts,our interrogations our emotions!
It would be enough to get an embellisher life.Smile.

dive said...

Thank you, Anonymous. I love your comments and I wish you a very Happy New Year. Let us hope 2009 is better for everyone.

Petrea Burchard said...

Absolutely spiffy! A fantastic post. It puts me in mind of Hampton Court, but only because people lived in it until so recently. I don't think there are other similarities, do you? I'm looking forward to the third installment.

I'm moving to rural Norfolk, but I'm bringing a space heater.

dive said...

Thank you, Petrea.
This is much older than Hampton Court; less grand but more friendly. The hopsital itself is about the size of my village and occupies a huge piece of land bounded on three sides by a big loop in the river. It is a beautiful place, full of courtyards and greens and open meadows leading to the water.

We actually have heating here now. The TV is still in black and white and shows I Love Lucy but other than that we are catching up with the world (more's the pity).

dive said...

Hopsital?
Hey ho … Start 2009 as I mean to go on; getting shat on by the typo fairy.

Terroni said...

I think that perhaps British old people are made of stronger stuff than their colonial counterparts.

14 meat days a year?!? Our elderly have 14 meat days a week. I suppose this is why old and fat go hand in hand here.

dive said...

Hee hee, T.
Excellent!

neetzy said...

Beautiful, wonderful and amazing. I love those ceiling tiles. What interesting history. The U.S. is so boring in comparison.

dive said...

The US is just young, Neetzy. It's as interesting as an airhead teenage girl compared to a wise old woman.

Petrea Burchard said...

Neetzy, you need to see the Grand Canyon. Or Native American rock paintings. Or the Christmas decorations Lynn photographed on some of the houses in Cheltenham.

Maria said...

I'm pretty much a stickler for a toilet, so it would never work for me...but you know, it sort of reminds me of the farmhouse where I grew up. We had three teeny bedrooms (and I mean, teeny...they were about half the size of our bedrooms in the house we have now, maybe not even that much) for a husband, wife and four daughters. We all shared rooms. My sister and I had bunkbeds and my older sister had my baby sister's crib in her room and it was literally right up next to the back of her bed. But, you know...we were snug as bugs, we really were.

The home I have now is very spacious and we complain all the time about how big and drafty it is. That was never a problem in the old farmhouse, privacy was a luxury.

Maria said...

And I absolutely ADORE the doily on the pink chair on the rose rug. Sooo lovely.

dive said...

Petrea: I need to see those things, too! Or at least the first two.

Maria: Seeing this stuff makes me realise how lucky I am. My own childhood was spent in a trailer and then a tiny flat and when I eventually got my own room it was tiny and cold and the rain came in and ran down the walls and the ice formed on the inside of the window.
We've done okay.