Friday, December 05, 2008

Aww Crap

Hey ho.
In to London this morning to find yet another server apocalypse; this one having trashed just about all of our current work for the past month (together with the emergency back-ups).

While the corridors run with the blood of IT staff and their severed heads bounce down the stairwell I am the only person who can actually work as I have DVD backups of a lot of my stuff from home.
However, one of my current jobs still has at least a week's worth of work lost in IT Hell so I am working like stink all day today and all weekend to try to recover and catch up.

Hence, no blogging for today at least.
On the up side I will be able to work today accompanied by the satisfyingly agonised screams of IT staff undergoing well-deserved torture and mutilation.

To cap all of that our CEO is currently trapped in the lift.

19 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

No blogging? You already blogged!

My, what an office you work in Dive! I've never heard anything like it. A daily blog of the office alone would be hilarious. The CEO stuck in the lift at the same time as all the month's work is lost? Hmm. He's/she's either hiding or escaping complaints. Check he hasn't got some sort of lift spanner in his pocket.
How awful to lose all that. I thought large companies sift off the work at the end of the day to security companies? I used to work for one, Datasolve, which protected work for firms in this way. Everyone must be very peed off today, not to mention the clients with late deadlines. Eek. My sympathies. What does Amanda think about it all? ;)

dive said...

Hi, Lynn.
Fridays, eh?
We back up to servers in various locations around the country but the whole damned lot has gone belly up this morning.
They should be able to get a lot of it back eventually but I don't have that much time to waste so I'm just re-doing mine from scratch.
Babs (the CEO) simply counted to ten and got down to work trying to put things right.
She did see the funny side about getting stuck in the lift though.
As for Amanda; she's just got in having had her boiler go blooey last night. The repair man turned up this morning, tutted and said he'd need to order a part, then went away again. Hey ho.
She took one look at the chaos in the office, grinned and commenced putting up Christmas decorations. There's bugger all else for most people to do today.

Katie said...

Wow, that's such a drag! I'll now stop complaining about work and just be thankful that we've never had a served meltdown. And our elevators seem to run without trapping the head honchos (well, that would actually be a riot). I'm sorry to hear that you have massive amounts of work (or should I say re-work) ahead for the weekend. And that everyone has time to decorate the office for Christmas. If I could I'd pop by and take you out for lunch. But I don't have to get out of bed for another 45 minutes, so I'm just going to hit the snooze button and get a few more zzzz's. Hang in there!

dive said...

D'oh!
Thanks, Katie. I would SO love to be enjoying a lie-in right now, especially in sunny California!
As it is I have worked through lunch (trying not to get too much takeaway ramen in my keyboard) and will probably catch up with my workload sometime early next week if I don't sleep and keep going twenty-four hours a day.
Oh, well, what the hell.

Enjoy your zzzzs.

savannah said...

i am so grateful that i work for the MITM and my office is portable! xoxox

hang in there, sweetheart, it will get better or it won't, right? ;)

dive said...

It never gets better, Savannah.
But at least when disaster strikes like it did today there is the compensation of hearing the CEO swearing volubly from the lift shaft. That was fun this morning; all of us clustered around the lift door, shushing one another while we listened to her bawling people out on the phone and tried to suppress our giggles.
xoxox

Scout said...

How unpleasant. I like the idea of trapping the CEO in the lift.

dive said...

She was none too happy about it at the time, Robyn.
You should try it with yours, though. It did make us giggle.

Petrea Burchard said...

Sweary grumbling!

Eventually the boss's cell battery will run out.

This hellish day must be coming to a close for you by now. I hope it got better. Even your complaints are witty.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Thank goodness for Amanda hey? Oh well let's get hold of some balls.

dive said...

Petrea: eventual the boss escaped and she was remarkably calm and smiling. She doesn't know we were all listening to her yelling and swearing at the lift maintenance people and the IT department. Hee hee.
Thank you for the compliment. I have just got home and am juggling between cooking diner and starting work so I can get a load done before bed.
Sigh …

Lynn: Bah humbug! The stupid bloody reindeer came out of hiding today. Sheesh. The whole office looks like Santa's grotto. It's horrible beyond words.

Anonymous said...

Damn those computer and server meltdowns. That would be enough to piss off the Pope. I hope you are back on track soon.

dive said...

Cheers, Mark. I'm more bothered about the Christmas decorations going up then the servers going down.

Anonymous said...

HAHA! The ceo stuck in a lift, that is hell funny! Residing in the IT bizz is great fun. You can always look like you're doing something (like walking around with severed heads) and get paid for it.
Hope all turns out okay Dive! Thank the gods for people like you who create back-ups (youd be stupid not to, is it a job requirement? or are you just a smart person dive? Or both? hehe)

Maria said...

I went to a meeting yesterday with some stiff government grunts and we all got stuck in an elevator for about ten minutes.

You should have seen those grown men whipping out their cell phones and making calls so frantically that you would have thought we were on the titanic.

neetzy said...

Ha! A lift is a good place for a CEO. How long can you keep him in there?

MmeBenaut said...

OMG! That is always the fear with computers. When they're working, fine but if they fail, as in my experience they do from time to time, misery always ensues. Poor Dive, losing a week's work. MB is still not computerised, doing all of his work via the old method of pen and paper so he will never be the victim of this type of idiotic nuisance; save for fire of course.
I think you should leave the CEO in the lift!

Volmon said...

Bummer.

But at least you have your impudent indignation. That's got to count for something.

Jules said...

Buggar, bum, bitch!!!