Wednesday, December 17, 2008

For Mark (and Neetzy and Katie)

A big hoorah for Mark for being a Larry Carlton fan (see yesterday's comments box).
There are too few of us, so to help redress that balance, here's a quick filler post of Larry's "Song For Katie" (Hi, Katie) which came up as a result of Neetzy's guitar question yesterday.

Like all of Larry's best playing (some of you will know him from his work with Steely Dan … Kid Charlemagne, Don't Take Me Alive, etc), the little solo in the middle of this song is elegant, beautiful, full of melodic shifts and surprises and a total bastard to play.

Enjoy.

20 comments:

Katie said...

What a delightful song (and not just because of the title)! That solo really is sweet. It warmed me up this morning even before I got out of bed to turn on the heater. Now I must stop typing and put my hands back under the covers; brrrr!

dive said...

Brr! Cold hands under the covers!
I hate that!
Get up and get moving, Katie.
I'ts California out there, it's not like you're back here in England scraping ice off the windows.

Having said that, I just checked your weather forecast. Holy moly! It's only a few degrees warmer there than it is here.
Weird!

savannah said...

sweet sounds, sugar! i'm terrible with names, but i do remember the sound! xoxox

(i have the perfect holiday music up!)

*snickering*

dive said...

Uh-oh … That sounds ominous!
I'm on my way over.
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Kid Charlemagne is another of my favorites and The Fez and Bodhisattva! There is or was a Steely Dan cover band in the States called Steeley Damned. I saw them years ago at one of the free Friday night jazz concerts held in a local SoCal park - not too shabby.

dive said...

Dan songs are so great to play, Cali. Whenever Michael and I get together with any band we make sure and play a few. Kid Charlemagne's always in there, plus Reeling'In The Years and Bodhisattva, Black Cow and Deacon Blues plus whatever else we fancy.
I think I'm happier playing Dan songs than any other covers.

Anonymous said...

Next time I listen to SD I will be sending golden CA vibes across the pond to you. Not today. Today the vibes are rain soaked and gloomy!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Forgot to add: which is why I am not sending vibes!!!

Katherine said...

A hundred years ago, I had a boyfriend who loved Larry Carlton. Does that count? : )

Anonymous said...

That song is a true gem. Larry Carlton just may be the best at what he does. He has taken his own style and perfected it. A true artist. Another fine post Dive.

Anonymous said...

BTW. Another very fine guitarist that I like is Leo Kottke. He too has his own style and he is just a joy to listen to. Check him out on YouTube Im sure you will like it.

dive said...

Brr! Thanks for keeping the rainy, gloomy vibes over on your side of the pond, Cali.

Katherine: Everything you say counts!

Hi, Mark. He doesn't diminish with age, either. I got a Japanese CD of Larry and Robben Ford jamming together in a jazz club in Tokyo a little while back and boy, they were as hot as ever!

dive said...

As for Leo, I've been a fan since he first started knoking out John Fahey tunes in the seventies. His song "Jack Gets Up" off the "My Father's Face" album is one of my all time favourite songs.

You really do have impeccable taste!

Scout said...

Yeah, that is quite a solo. I'll take your word for it as to how difficult it is to play, though. I haven't played the guitar since the 5th grade.

Anonymous said...

Hey dive, am running a competition over at my blog - yes I am that bored. I've scammed the idea from you and your question time which was kind of cool.

Shazza said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, nice.

MmeBenaut said...

Lovely and soothing. I had never heard of him before so once again, whenever I visit your blog dearest Dive, I receive an education too.
I'll take your word for it about melodic shifts since I don't know about those things but the solo was good.
Fancy having music when, on your side of the globe, it's not even Thursday!

dive said...

Robyn: It's time you started playing guitar again. You picked up the horn again with no trouble and you play piano beautifully.
Go for it! Annoy your neighbours with wailing solos at high volume. Hee hee.

Kate: I'll be right over.

Shazza: He's not too shabby.

Mme: He is the very best of my own breed: the unknown sideman. You may not have heard of him but I'll bet your record collection is chock full of his playing.

neetzy said...

Dive,

That was amazing and wonderful. Thank you so much for the dedication! I love Steely Dan but never investigated them enough to find the source of the wonderful guitar. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I got in late last night and tonight. I have kids in concerts this time of year. Thanks again! I loved it. You brightened up my day once again. Now I have to read today's post.

dive said...

I'm glad you liked it, Neetzy.
Steely Dan used lots of guitarists over the years but Larry Carlton was the "classic" Dan soloist.
I hope you'll do a post about the kids' concerts.