After a week of crap on the railways, I am about to try to get to work. If I don't appear later I am stuck on a train somewhere.
In the meantime …
Now that Shan is safely away from an internet connection for the week I can safely post one of my favourite songs of all time, Shellac's gloriously heartfelt "Prayer To God".
With the possible exception of Jilted John's "Jilted John", this is the best song ever written about being dumped (an expert writes).
While Jilted John plays it for laughs …
She said "Listen John, I love you
But there's this bloke I fancy" …
and
I was so upset that I cried
All the way to the chip shop.
Steve Albini takes black humour to dark depths hitherto unplumbed.
I love this song so fucking much!
There's no video so don't bother watching it.
Just sing along!
To the one true God above:
here is my prayer -
not the first you've heard, but the first I wrote.
(not the first, but the others were a long time ago).
There are two people here, and I want you to kill them.
Her - she can go quietly, by disease or a blow
to the base of her neck,
where her necklaces close,
where her garments come together,
where I used to lay my face...
That's where you oughta kill her,
in that particular place.
Him - just fucking kill him, I don't care if it hurts.
Yes I do, I want it to,
fucking kill him but first
make him cry like a woman,
(no particular woman),
let him hold out hope that someone or other might come
then fucking kill him
Fucking kill him.
Kill him already, kill him.
Fucking kill him, fucking kill him,
Kill him already, kill him.
Fucking kill him, fucking kill him,
Kill him already, kill him.
Just fucking kill him! Fucking kill him,
Fucking kill him already, kill him.
Ah Fucking kill him, fucking kill him,
Kill him already, kill him.
Kill him already, kill him already
Kill him, fucking kill him.
Just fucking kill him, fuckin kill him,
Kill him already, kill him.
Fuckin kill him, kill him,
Fucking kill him already, kill him.
Kill him, fucking kill him,
Kill him, just fucking kill him.
Kill him already, kill him already,
Kill him.
Amen.
How heartfelt and true.
That "No particular woman" line cracks me up every time.
Hee hee hee.
18 comments:
heart rage at it's best! how did i miss this, sugar? xoxox
(movie meme today)
Oops... this is what I call black humour!
I prefer something milder. Talking about music, have you heard The Shins? You might like it. I can hear you thinking "How the hell she can think she knows what I like?"
hehe
Savannah: Heart rage indeed. He gets so hilariously passionate toward the end.
Like Morrissey, Albini is a great comic writer. Folk who find Morrissey miserable or Albini angry have a big, dull hole where their sense of humour should be.
xoxox
Rose: Yes, sorry; I like extreme music (though I consider this fairly mainstream compared to most of my iPod's contents) but I appreciate that it might startle the unsuspecting (hee hee).
I'll give The Shins a go when I get home (they block music and video at the office, dammit)!
They don't allow you to listen to music and see films? What they will forbid next? Pornography?
I dont know what is wrong with these office policy makers!
If you do listen to The Shins, pay special attention to the lyrics. They are extremely clever and articulate.
Strangely enough, even though they're great at blocking music and video, the porn always seems to evade the filters.
Hey ho.
I have been catching up on your posts from last week and have decided with your train stories and my flying stories we could start a new blog.
Next time they tell me my flight is cancelled I am going to sing this at the top of my voice !!! Reckon they'll have me on the flight in 5 seconds.
Hee hee, Jules.
I think you should record it and post it for us.
Hmm. That's a lot of the word 'fucking'.
But not a single one of them is gratuitous, Lynn.
In fact whenever I get dumped (I am a renowned world authority on the subject) I use considerably more of them!
Well now. I see you have a case of the Boomtown Rats "I hate Mondays" or something like that. What an awful song. If I'd been his girlfriend, I'd have left him too.
I can't wait for Thursday for some decent "Dive" music.
Hope you got to and from work dear. How frustrating but it's a bit worse in Iowa.
Ah what a perfect song for Monday morning! I wonder if this guy had trouble getting a date after this song hit the airwaves.
Mme: It is a wonderful, lovely, feelgood song!
I'm thinking of covering it for Thursday … hee hee.
I managed to get to London this morning but I'm not sure how I'll get home again.
And things are always worse in Iowa.
Katie: it is indeed perfect!
Steve Albini is my personal musical deity. He's recorded everyone from Nirvana to Nina Nastasia and your own wonderful California girl Joanna Newsom is one of his protegées.
I very much doubt this song ever did hit the airwaves. Nor his splendid album with Big Black, "Songs About Fucking", which consisted of exactly what it said on the box.
HA! That's incredible. I actually think Shan might find something to appreciate about these lyrics and the gutsy way they are sung.
And, hey!!!!! Why is it you're concerned with Shan's reaction to this song but not with mine? What am I, a heathen?
"Things are always worse in Iowa."
That's going to be my new mantra.
Robyn: You know how I love to poke you with a stick and run away, giggling.
Chase me!
Hee hee hee.
T: Every place should have a purpose; I think we just found Iowa's.
Now, I really, really want to hear this song. I could have used it about ten years ago....
It's something that's happened to most of us, Maria, and he sings (yells) it so well.
Post a Comment