Monday, June 09, 2008

Monday Memes

A couple of memes for a Monday.
One from Betty and one from Maria.

First up:
Betty's musical meme:
Post seven songs that you're really into right now.
It doesn't matter if they're crap, but they should be the ones that are shaping your summer.

Seven songs are a bit much to listen to one after the other while you're cruising blogs, so I'm going to post mine one at a time in the hope that somebody will actually take the time to listen to them.
I'm also selling out and simply posting YouTube clips. Don't worry; it's only for a few days.

I checked the recently played songs on my iPod to see what has been "shaping my summer" and was pleasantly surprised to find this up near the top.

So … I'll start my intermittent and stuttering "meme spread over a week or so" with the man I have idolised since 1963 and a gorgeous song to start anybody's summer: "Bless You".

This was on the wonderful "Walls and Bridges" album in the mid-seventies, though the guy who made the video obviously only has the Menlove Avenue compilation CD.
If you've not got them already, go and buy either album and make me (and Yoko) happy.

This is luscious, gorgeous and reeking of warm summer days. It also has Jesse Ed Davis on guitar which is always a good thing.

Sit back, chill out and start your summer here.




Now while you listen to that, it's Maria's turn.
Much more meme-ish … A bunch of stupid questions for a Monday morning.

TECHNOLOGY
Q: What is your wallpaper on your computer?
Which computer?
I have seven Macs on the go at the mo. I have a bunch of my 3D work on most of them, some Japanese scenes at work, but my favourite desktop is on my old indigo iMac in the studio and is this wonderful shot I stole from Katie's blog.

Q: How many televisions do you have in your house?
I didn't have any for around fifteen years.
Now I have a big, flattie in the living room to play GTA4 on and watch old movies and a tiny old portable in the bedroom to get the news at five in the morning while I'm drying my hair.
I can only get four channels and those intermittently, so as soon as they turn the analogue signal off in a year or so I'll go back to having no TV.
I hate TV.
Though I did enjoy watching Harrison Birtwhistle's new opera "The Minotaur" on BBC2 on Saturday night. Sure, it was on the radio, too, but the cozzies were worth watching, so yes, I guess I'm still a TV slut until things go all-digital.

BIOLOGY
Q: Are you right handed or left handed?
Right handed.

Q:Have you ever had anything removed from your body?
Appendix, bits of teeth and jaw, some yucky fluids, but mostly I just get the piss taken out of me.

Q: What is the last heavy item you lifted?
My fat ass out of bed this morning.

Q: Have you ever been knocked out?
Yup. By a door, a car, a motley selection of hard surfaces and several anæsthetists.

BULLSHIT-OLOGY
Q: If it were possible, would you want to know the day you were going to die?
I'll be choosing that day, so yes, I'll know it in advance.

Q: If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
Something else.
Possibly Slartibartfast.
Probably not Chet or Marylou.

Q: What color do you think looks best on you?
Black looks least bad.

Q: Have you ever swallowed a non-food item?
Hell, yes. Where's the fun in just eating food?

DARE-OLOGY
Q: Would you kiss a member of the same sex for 100 dollars?
Of course I would. And I'd bang Johnny Depp for free.

Q: Would you allow one of your little fingers to be cut off for 200,000$?
Not a chance. I'm a musician, for fuck's sake.

Q: Would you never blog again for 50,000$?
I'll stop blogging when I get bored with it.
Besides; $50,000? What's that gonna buy these days? A tank of gas?

Q: Would you drink an entire bottle of hot sauce for 1,000$?
Bring it on! This is the man who loves chili eating contests; my record is sixteen raw, scotch-bonnet chilis, well munched before swallowing (I only stopped because I ran out of chilis).
If food isn't hot enough to make my eyeballs bleed I don't wanna know.

Q: Would you, without fear of punishment, take a human life for a million dollars?
No, but I'd do it for fun.
When we played the game "If you were a serial killer, who would you kill?" I decided I would be "The Comb-over Killer".
I'd target men with comb-overs and simply walk up and shoot them in the head.
Those fuckwits don't deserve to live.
It would be a mercy killing and a valuable service to taste and decency.
No jury would ever convict me.

DUMB-OLOGY
Q: What is in your left pocket?
I have no idea. I'm naked and my pockets are upstairs in the wardrobe.

Q: Is Napoleon Dynamite actually a good movie?
Ask someone who gives a shit.

Q: Do you have hardwood or carpet in your house?
Carpet. I live in a cold climate.

Q: Do you sit or stand in the shower?
Who the fuck sits in a shower?
I stand.
Unless I've slipped on my ass, of course. Then I'll sit and run through a few choice phrases from my Profanisaurus.

Q: How many pairs of flip flops do you own?
None.
Life's too short to be seen in flip-flops.
Unless you're Joy … she even wears hers in the snow!

LAST-OLOGY
Q: Last person who texted you?
Nobody has ever texted me, and nobody ever will. Nor will I ever text anybody.
The word "text" is not a verb on Planet Dive.
There are no mobile phones here, either.
Don't try to bring one into my house unless you're feeling particularly frisky and it is well greased, 'cos it's going straight up your ass.

Q: Last person who called you?
Gosh, I can't remember.
I think it was Chris, around three weeks ago, to tell me he was on his way over to pick me up when we went to the Aussie Pink Floyd Show at the university.
You know I have my phone on mute most of the time.
I hate telephones.

Q: Last person you hugged?
Lucy, Saturday.

FAVOURITE-OLOGY
Q: Number?
13

Q: Season?
Spring. So that's my enjoyment over for another year.

Q: Color?
Black.
Stupid question, really.

CURRENT-OLOGY
Q: Missing someone?
I never miss.

Q: Mood?
Black with the occasional flash of blue.

Q: Listening to?
Nothing.
It's absolutely silent out here today. Not enough wind to stir the trees and the birds are too busy feeding chicks to sit and sing.
No cars, no planes, no stupid fucking people …
Lovely.

Q: Worrying about?
Nothing.
What the fuck is the point of worrying about anything?
Shit will happen.
You will cope with it or you will die.
Why worry?

Q: Wearing?
My saggy old skin. A frown. Oh, and my glasses.

RANDOM-OLOGY
Q: First place you went this morning?
The bathroom.

Q: What can you not wait to do?
Well, I've got the ironing to do later.
Then there's death.
The rest I'll just take as it comes.

Q: Do you smile often?
Not so much that it would unnerve passers-by.

Q: Are you a friendly person?
Of course. I love everybody unreservedly.
La-la-la. Happy, friendly me.
Yeah, right.

That's your lot.
Enjoy your Monday.

22 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for a good laugh on a Sunday night! Oh and a nice little ditty to hum while I brush my teeth before bed. Have a happy friendly Monday and I'll try not to dream about you and Johnny Depp.

dive said...

Gosh, this longitude business is just too inconvenient. We should go back to having a flat earth.
Here am I at work on a Monday morning and you're still enjoying the weekend in San Francisco.
Thank you, Katie. You have a happy, friendly Monday, too. SF seems the perfect place to be happy and friendly.
I'll just sit here and dream about me and Johnny Depp. Hee hee.

Nathalie H.D. said...

LOL is just not good enough, I'll right it in full, I really laughed out loud very very often while reading you.

One thing went wrong. I ran out of music before I was finished reading. Either I'm a slow reader (wiping the tears off my eyes takes time) or you're bad at timing.

Looking fwd to the next music session, I'll be back. That was good!!!! What a great way to start the week!

(can I have Johnny Depp before you do?)

Nathalie H.D. said...

.... sorry, please read "I'll write it in full" instead of "I'll right it in full" !!!
(now righting a wrong - gosh your language is a nightmare!)

Joy said...

I heard (read) that! What's wrong with flip-flops???

But did you like my blue, 50's style shoes at the Film Festival? I thought they were so yummy, I also bought the pink ones :D

I enjoyed the music on your post. Great for chillin'.

Well, have a lovely Monday!

savannah said...

i don't even remember that song! 'll have t look at itunes on the desktop to see what's been played most often, sugar! thanks for the music. xoxox

(btw, which laptop do you use while commuting? the MITM is thinking about getting a new one when he returns.)

dive said...

Lovely to see you again, Nathalie.

Thank you for having a giggle with me. Yes, I'll let you have Johnny Depp before me (he lives in France so it's only right you should get him first).

People often tell me my language is a nightmare (usually my mum, just before clipping me around the ear). Hee hee.
English is indeed a dreadful mish-mash of nonsense and I think most non-English people speak it far better then the English themselves, who are terribly lazy speakers.

Joy: The difference is: You look GOOD in flip-flops!
And your shoes at the film festival were fabulous, but I thought gushing about your gown was a gay enough thing to do; had I started on your shoes I would have passed the point of no return.
Have a splendid Monday.

Savannah: It's not the first song people think of when Lennon's name comes up but it has stuck with me over the decades. I love it.

My commuting laptop is a 17-inch Macbook Pro, the top-end one, souped to the nines.
It's a heavy beastie but astonishingly fast at 3D CAD stuff.
It is also so sexy that the PC users hide their laptops away when I get it out. Hee hee.

MmeBenaut said...

Johnny Depp? Get in line boy!
Lucy on Saturday night???????


Nice chill music to listen to - thanks for that!

MmeBenaut said...

Actually that should be "KISSING Lucy on Saturday night". That'd make a good song title.

dive said...

Er … Lucy on Saturday MORNING, Mme.
And she's family, so hugs are allowed.
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm still boring and unattached.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

he he. I love flip-flops too! Suit every occasion. Almost. Except slippery surfaces.

Your answers always make me laugh. You should never say never though.

Dive - you have more televisions than me! lol. I've never had a television in the bedroom. I refuse.

Scout said...

Grumpy old Dive. The song is truly summer, and since we're suffering through a blistering 95 degrees today, I listen to it again.

dive said...

Lynn: I like to watch the news and weather at five in the morning while I dry my hair and get dressed.
Mostly so I know whether to take a brolly or not.

And I will always say "never" where txtng is concerned.

It's a lovely song, Robyn and - as you say - very summery.
Enjoy.

Katie said...

Dive I agree that the whole time difference thing is a pain. At least I'll be one hour ahead of you for a whole month this fall!

It's a gorgeous sunny morning here in the SF Bay Area (the summer fog hasn't arrived yet) so I'm definitely on track for a happy friendly Monday. At least until I arrive at my cubicle in my windowless office and attorneys start demanding things of me.

By the way I still feel bad that the scan I made of the Friedlander postcard you purloined is of such low quality. If you want I'd be happy to send you the real postcard so you can create a better image. I'm sure you have much better scanning equipment than I do.

Shan said...

Oh. Grumpy is right Robyn! You have got a huge case of the Mondays. Fortunately you are a funny grump even if the curse words nearly outnumber the regular ones on days like this. (lips pursed in churchlady chagrin)
At least you have your sexy laptop to carry you through another day, so all is not entirely black yet.
Oh and if you'd seen Johhny Depp on the awards show I caught a glimpse of this weekend, you would have surely raked him off the stage and taken the poor fella.
He was absolutely smoldering. People in the audience were passing out at the sight of him! Woot-e-wooh!

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

Very funny answers dive -very amusing to read.

Katherine said...

Totally FAB song and video, Dive!

Sheesh. I remember asking, as a kid, "Who is John Lennon?" I was pretty young. My brother was horrified! I made up for it by falling in love with Paul McCartney when I was a teenager.

dive said...

Katie, it's a gorgeous sunny evening over on this side of the planet and I'll soon be heading for bed.

I don't think I'd survive in a windowless office. Brr. I can look up from my screen and see the top of Big Ben and the London Eye, which is pretty cool.

The Friedlander photo is just perfect for a desktop, so I don't need it at higher res. but thanks anyway.

Shan: Grumpy? Moi? I'm a happy little pixie.
And I think between you, me, Mme B. and Nathalie we'll have to have that Vanessa Paradis assassinated to give us all a chance at Johnny D.

Rich: I was being perfectly serious! Hee hee.

Katherine: I keep forgetting that you are but a child.
Sigh … you missed so much.

savannah said...

macpro is overkill for him, sugar..thanks! xoxo

dive said...

Ah, but other than you it's the sexiest thing he can sit on his lap!
xox

Maria said...

I would do just about anything with Johnny Depp. Twice. And he could spank me and I'd giggle and ask for more.

Not that he's offered...but...

And I thought I was the only one who blogged nekkid.

Great tune, by the way. I got all mellow and soupy.

dive said...

It is indeed a great tune, Maria.
Sorry to put the awful image into your head, but in the summer I tend to blog nekkid as nobody in England has heard of aircon and it gets pretty icky.