Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Art Of Poor Photography

A couple of days back, Katie posted a cool little Messerschmitt bubble car from the sixties that we'd found in a Cold War exhibition last year.

I was sure I'd photographed those little fellas tearing round Goodwood motor racing circuit in a very wobbly and unsafe manner.
A delve into my photo files produced these:

This was probably the slowest race I've ever seen at Goodwood, yet I still managed to get it blurred through crap panning technique.

And this one was even worse … a pity because the little cars are hilarious on a racetrack.

That got me thinking … and a further rummage in the archives confirmed my suspicion that I am in fact a totally crap photographer.

For every successful shot I take of rally cars …

There is a mistimed crap shot.

For every successful panning shot …

There is a crap panning shot.

It's not just going right to left …

I'm crap at panning the other way, too.

For every successful grandstand shot …

There is a crap grandstand shot …

… or two.

For every stunning sunset …

There is a crap photo of a blurry piece of sky.

When I get it right, the result can be wonderful.

Woohoo!

But … er …

Let's face it …

I'm crap! But I could make a good living producing desktop patterns for Apple.

20 comments:

Vic said...

I'll have to remember that about the desktop patterns. There is a home for the multitudes of focus blowouts I seem to have after all...

I do love the final image. It's something I could be stoned and stare at for hours.

dive said...

Hoorah for focus blowouts, Vic. We all have them.
And any excuse to get stoned is a good excuse.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

lol isn't it always the case though? Most photographers take loads to get the one. Apart from David Bailey who used to get it right almost immediately.
I like the blur actually on the bubble car race. There are some great pics there though, the one - the blue car she said in a girly way - coming through the trees is marvellous. Thing is, with my camera being on the blink, this blurred effect often happens on its own direction. Now that's annoying.

dive said...

Hee hee. Thank you, Lynn. I knew you'd understand.
I hope your camera gets its act together soon; that must be so frustrating.
Now hurry up and get rid of that flu.

Scout said...

"desktop patterns for apple." That made me laugh out loud.

I love those grandstand shots you call crap. That guy has nap hair, and I wouldn't have known that if you hadn't been "crap," and that green folded chair is art.

dive said...

Hee hee, Robyn; you know the desktops I mean!
I must confess I like the occasional mis-shot because odd stuff crops up that amuses me. I might post some of those another day.

Maria said...

I can't even take photos with a regular old camera or phone camera. I chop people's heads off with regularity...well, just when I take their photos...

And in answer to your question about google analytics...no idea how I got them, dear Dive. Bing set the whole thing up. She likes to keep track of my blog stalker (who actually has about TWELVE different avenues to get to my site and as many computer addresses...god, I keep picturing some psychopath in her basement....)

dive said...

Thanks, Maria. I've got it up and running now.
I dread to think what results I might have after reading yours. Hee hee.

savannah said...

so, your worst shots are comparable to many of my best shots, darlin! ;) xoxo

dive said...

I doubt that very much, Savannah.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ah! dear Dive :"google analytics"?
May I guess?? !!!Something not fair
I'm dubious...
Why din't you trust me?
(not easy for me to write that comment but..?You could rub it out)Sorry.

dive said...

Don't worry, Anonymous; it's nothing to do with you and I promise I won't check that kind of thing. It's just that Maria found some hilarious search words used by visitors to her blog and I wondered what kind of weirdness I could find.

Katie said...

Bummer you didn't get the cute cars in focus, but hey, there's always this year to try again! And try to get a few little movie clips of the little cars racing at 25 mph. Fast cars are nice and all that, but seeing the silly little cars race would be a riot!

Anonymous said...

My second OUF!today and it concerns
our friendship.Nothing wrong with me,from me,by me...ect..
And you w'll know all you want,when you want,if you want but from me. Nothing to cancel. Free-for-all.Is it good?
Sorry to have too disturb you to day(intentionally a Sunday)and too full your post. Really you are lovely.

MmeBenaut said...

Hahaha! You are hilarious Dive! I delete the bad shots but you've kept them all for us to see. I love the contrast - very clever.
Those little cars won my heart. I'd love one of those!!

Anonymous said...

As we both know photography is not an exact science. A great photo can make you forget a hundred bad ones. I bet even Ansel Adams took a few bad photos. If you ever get to the Napa Valley (and I hope you do) make sure to visit the Mumm Winery. They have a very nice collection of his works.

neetzy said...

Heehee. Sounds like you've been looking at some of the blurry crap I've been posting. (My excuse is that I'm browsing through thumbnails that are to small for my aging eyes to see). Once I post, it's too much effort to try to fix things.

I do love those adorable little cars!

Petrea Burchard said...

I was thinking along the same lines as Mme Benaut: you're so cute, Dive, you keep the bad ones in your photo files.

I don't have any bad photos in my photo files. I upload my shots and the first thing I do is DELETE THE CRAP. There. I don't have any crap photos at all.

Anonymous said...

What are you doing when commuting,except of course to protect you from admirors?
All I believe as real is that's you are an architect.
(I'm a dental surgeon but don't be scared:I don't travel with my dental toys)

dive said...

Katie, they put on lots of wonderfully silly races and events between the big, serious races. I'll try to do better next time!

Anon: you are lovely, too (possibly … I have no way of telling … Hee hee).

Mme: I just load all the crap from the camera on to the Mac and then forget to clean it out. Hey ho. Perhaps now I'll learn.
The Bubble Cars are incredibly cute, aren't they?

Mark: I love Ansel Adams' photos. Yet another reason to visit California!

Neetzy: I'm the same; if something is out of focus I'll post it anyway.
Looks like Bubble Cars have a growing fan base!

Petrea: I used to work as a photographer (many decades ago) and we would sally forth with Mamiyaflexes festooned with 100 foot rolls of two-and-a-quarter inch film in big spools on the back and take dozens of rolls in a day; all for half a dozen photos.
It is the secret of all good photographers … they are no better than the rest of us, they just take a whole lot more crap.
I hadn't realised just how much crap was in my photo folders until yesterday. I cleaned out around 70Meg so far and I'm still in 2006!

Anonymous: It is all true!
And hey, I like my dentist, so I have no problem with you being one, too.