Today, it's Squealy Piggy And Silly Mushroom Risotto.
Here's the piggy.You know the drill: Local … Organic … Free range.
This is tenderloin from a local farm where the pigs are given free run of a huge deciduous wood and root amongst acorns, wild garlic, pignuts and herbs. It is my favourite place for pork; the flavour and texture of the meat is simply awesome.
And here are the silly mushrooms: Today I'm using yellow oysters, plus ほんしめじ andしろしめじ mushrooms (all locally grown and organic).Sainsbury's do a non-organic "Taste The Difference" selection like this but I can get them cheaper, MUCH fresher and of course organic from the mushroom farm.
Flavour, people … FLAVOUR!
Right!
Pinnies on.
Let's get cooking.
First up:
Slice up that yummy tenderloin into greedy bite-sized pieces and whop 'em in a red hot pan.
Slap!
Sizzle!
Yay!
Brown those suckers off.
Here's yet another reason (as if you need another one apart from taste, texture, health and animal welfare) for always using organic: try this with factory-produced industrial/chemical "pork" and all you'll get is a panful of bubbling water with some icky little bits of "meat" floating in it and … er … not going brown.Not only was this piggy allowed a fun life in the wild woods but it was not pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics, fed on the bits of other animals we deem unfit to eat and killed at six weeks old; this merry little porker took six months of squealing and rooting and running free to reach the same size as an industrial/chemical piglet (poor little fuckers) and got to eat what it damned-well pleased.
And after it was slaughtered, it was not pumped full of water to bulk up its weight for profiteering supermarkets (anyone idiotic enough to buy "meat" from a supermarket deserves a fucking hard slap around the head on top of all the health problems they'll be storing up for themselves).
Hence: Slap an organic piggy in the pan and it browns properly, rather than just sits there and boils in a kind of unpleasant scummy water.
When it's done, slip it onto a plate and then pour a generous glass of good chardonnay into the pan to de-glaze it.Scrub the wine around until it picks up all of that delicious brown porky-flavour and - when the pan is clean - pour the whole lot into your stock (for which, see many sweary imprecations in past posts and in particular this post on stock-making).
Righto … Whap that pan back on the heat.Good.
Next - as always - top-bollocks olive oil; I'm using my favourite Gallo "Grande Escolha" as the intensity will complement the richness of the piggy and mushroom flavours.
Sploosh a good load in there and whap the heat up.
When it's hot enough, throw in a rough-chopped strong organic onion and a couple of cloves of the best garlic money can buy, then stir it around and reduce the heat to minimum so that lot sweats out for a couple of minutes.
When that's done, add your organic Arborio rice and hit the heat again, mixing the whole lot well so that every grain is coated in the hot, aromatic oil.
You know what's coming:Olfactory Orgasm Time! Woohoo!
Add another generous glass of totally excellent chardonnay and a handful of roughly torn basil leaves …
Stir …
I N H A L E …
If that isn't one of the finest experiences in the known universe then I'm Rush fucking Limbaugh.
Hokay; we've done risotto enough times now for everyone to know all about adding the glorious home-made stock a sploosh at a time, allowing each beautiful spoonful to soak right into the rice until it begins to get gloopy.
The wine and pork-browning from earlier will make this particular risotto a nice comforting autumnal brown. Mmmmmmmm …
When you've only got around a cup of stock left, toss in the guppins.Browned pork and mushrooms.
Yum!
Slowly add the rest of the stock and wait for the Magic Gloopy Moment™ when it's time to add a tablespoon of white truffle oil (fuck me! Can you smell that?) turn off the heat, finely grate a heap of organic Parmesan in there, stir it around and then LEAVE IT for a minute or two to do its sex thang.While it's doing that, avert your eyes in a decorous manner and rip the shit out of the herbs on the windowsill to make a garnish.
Plate it up.Roughly grate some more Parmesan on top.
Garnish.
Eat the fucker.
Squealy piggy and silly mushroom risotto.
Enjoy.
I know I did.
And now I'm enjoying the aftertaste with some more wine.
Mmmmmmmmm …
22 comments:
I can smell it from here and it's divine.
Thank you for the link to your previous rizohodo post. Dear Dive, if I asked for bah-zil at the Farmer's Market they'd laugh at me. We call it bay-zil, I can't help that. It would be pretentious of me to sashay around California speaking with a British accent. I'm Amurrickin. What kin Ah doo?
That looks good. hope you enjoyed it....
Also hope the trains are not too bad tomorrow..
lol Petrea!
So this looks delicious Dive, but you merely skated over your biggest girl-magnet yet. You CAN PUT UP SHELVES???? :) big smile.
lol Lynn. Shelves are sexy.
OMG. THAT looks really, really good. And if you think Im not going to steal this recipe and add one item and call it my own then you are crazy. Just kidding Dive, I always give credit to the master in the kitchen across the pond. You. Thanks Dive.
Wow! You even got me a little hungry with that descriptive recipe! I averted my eyes only a little when I saw all of those hideous mushrooms :). I eat mushrooms but I certainly don't appreciate their highly fungalatious looks. I had one in my yard a few years back that I didn't want children to see-so pornographic!! Now, I give all new-to-me mushrooms the chicken eye until I can grow more accustomed to their looks. tee hee ba ha
And that organic/hormone boosted argument is a GOOD ONE! I really hate all of that tainted with meat, but it is hard for me to avoid it when it comes to feeding all four of us regularly. (Plus, I just don't try very hard because I'm not into food prep. I lean hard on the supplements at times.)
I would so willingly eat this risotto and probably even lick the bowl clean at the end!
I hope the trains are behaving themselves as well tomorrow. :D
What a wonderful looking dish! Those mushrooms are to die for!Please send me a tape for the proper pronounciation and I will practice if you would give me a taste!
I agree with Lynn. The women should be fawning all over a man who cooks like you!
Sweary or not, this ris-oh-d'oh looks unbelievably yummy! I always enjoy your cooking posts, especially on a night like tonight, when I'm having my usual red wine and peanuts for dinner (to be followed tonight by more wine and Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies). I'm sure this tasted as amazing as it smelled cooking. And you do shelves? Want to come over and help me put together my new IKEA computer table? I've got non-organic, crap-filled Girl Scout Cookies to offer you! (Well, if you hurry, they'll probably be gone soon.) Best of luck with the trains this week.
With apologies to Shan, this looks absolutely fungulicious!
My daughter is a huge mushroom fan and when I showed her this post, she immediately ran and grabbed a pencil to get the recipe down to show Bing.
So...yum. Thank you.
i'll have to copy this for the MITM when he gets home! xoxox
I hope all was well today and you aren't too exhausted when getting back home
I w"ll be with you next saturday
evening on R.
With you and R.F. (last saturday
she introduced the artists throurought the intermissions)
Me too,I favor the Radio Version.
The Scene Version is most affordable but may distract from the voices. Somewhere,often,I close my eyes.The MET Live was a chance.
So,I hesitated to picture for you:
Dive has in him a treasure:
Imagination...
I don't look at T.V except for some
Tennis Championship(I'm a regular tennis player)
Read you soon.
Hee hee, Petrea! I can't wait to visit the States and ask for things like coriander leaf and courgettes at a farmers' market.
Mum: I did.
And the trains are always crap.
Lynn: I stripped my first house down to the bare brickwork, rewired, replumbed, replastered it, put in all new ceilings and a new kitchen and bathroom.
It took me eighteen months and I vowed I would never do anything so stupid ever again.
Petrea: They are?
Mark: You can't go wrong with a simple dish like that, which is why I make 'em. Other than perhaps peanut butter I cannot think of many things that would make a crap risotto.
Shan; come on over this evening and you can share my oak smoked haddock baked in milk.
As for mushrooms: hee hee! Ah, what a hilarious time Doctor Freud would have with you and your phallic fungus fixation.
Sometimes a mushroom is just a mushroom.
As for the price of organic over heavily subsidised chemical "food", squeeze all the water out of a supermarket chicken or cut of pork and you'll have a lot less actual meat per dollar than if you bought organic. Plus it will taste sooooo much better.
You are more than welcome to come over for dinner any time. Bring the family; there are plenty of guitars for Jamey to play.
Neetzy: I am such a monstrously greedy fungus fan! I come away from the mushroom farm shop with bags of the things and eat them like sweets on the way home. I could live without coffee and alcohol (if I was really desperate) but NEVER without mushrooms!
Katie: If I run out of money in Paris and we cannot eat out, you may well have to suffer my cooking.
Red wine and peanuts is a good balanced meal, provided it is followed with Girl Scout Cookies. Deliciously nutritious.
You have an Ikea table? Sheesh! Only certain types of alien know how to put those things together. All I can say is good luck, and if it finishes up looking like an abstract mobile that's been hit by a truck, consider yourself fortunate.
I'm sure the Swedes will have to atone for Ikea some day.
Lucio: I simply adore fungi. I repeat what I said to Neetzy.
Maria: I really, REALLY hope you only dictated certain portions of the post to Liv and didn't let her copy out all the swearwords! Hee hee.
Savannah: I'm sure you can find something much nicer to greet him with!
xoxox
Anonymous: We shall have to invite the rest of Blogville to attend our Saturday opera nights.
BBC Radio 3, everybody. You can listen live on line and then we can all meet up in the bar during the interval.
Yay!
Yes, Anon: I DO have an imagination and it is always getting me into trouble. Hee hee.
i've tagged you if you'd like to play...my place, sugar! ;) xoxo
I'll be right over, Savannah.
I'll bring good wine.
xoxox
Oh no no; don't be in trouble
Imagination is Wealth
It's an awful lot of great qualities:knowledge; sensitive experience;creativity;artistic inspiration;action...ect
Really I know very little about your reality:
The virtual Dive is the most clever and generous person in the world.It's an impressive thing! Really.
He is the"Star" of his blogsphere
He has a multitude of clever and
interesting Fans(Dive Fan Club DFC)
The real man is not yet known for me: I know his profession and that he is impatiently waiting to meet and see his beloved in october.
That waiting and that desire is the waiting and the desire of Love. It's great.
Oh, hee hee, Anonymous!
What fevered imaginings!
The virtual Dive is a sweary monster, though you are right in that I have a multitude of clever and interesting neighbours in Blogville (yourself included).
The real man is giggling about what you think may happen in October!
I'll be popping over to Paris to spend a couple of days sightseeing with Katie and Eric and taking lots of photos for the blog.
I shall be sleeping on Mister Lumpy (Eric's sofa-bed) rather than on Miss Katie!
Methinks Madama Butterfly has confused you with all this talk of "the L word".
See you at the opera on Saturday!
lol yep Petrea, shelves ARE sexy! Wow Dive so you did all those things, you had me gasping with delight - then you said you'd never do it again. Mood kill.
Go ahead and ask for coriander, Dive. Coriander's what you'll get. And if you can bring yourself to stoop to asking for zucchini at the Pasadena Farmer's Market, you'll get the nicest, freshest variety of courgettes you've ever seen.
If you happen to be in town, by the way, I can use some new shelves, babycakes.
Looks good,Dive. Who needs a cookbook when we have you?
Looks fantastic. I could eat that easily, especially if I didn't have to look at some of those mushrooms first!! Funghi really are weird, aren't they?
Lynn: I've just posted my crappy shelves for your sexual gratification. Hee hee.
Petrea: I'll be over with my drill as soon as I can figure out the best way to get to Pasadena.
Rich: I never follow recipes. Where's the fun in that? I find it much more interesting to look at what's in the kitchen and try to think of non-nauseating ways to glop it all together on a plate.
Mme: Fungi are FANTASTIC! I can't get enough of 'em.
Post a Comment