First thing every Saturday morning, this is where Phil and Dive make our first stop on our way to breakfast with the gang.
Sing along:
"She was only the fishmonger's daughter, but she had a wet plaice for me …" etc.
Click on these pics to get much closer to the fishies …
The guy on the left is David, our old schoolfriend. A prog rock and heavy metal fan, he is the only person ever recorded as falling asleep during a Motörhead gig.Given a few days notice, however, he will fetch me whatever piscatorial treats I desire, from triple-A grade, sashimi-quality fatty tuna to live razor clams and all points between.
Except whalemeat, which is illegal here, dammit!
Big kudos to じゅんさん for bringing us some back from Japan, though. Yay!
Anyhoo … this morning I bought a whopping slab of halibut which I shall probably bake in cream, herbs, chardonnay and capers later.Because I am a peeeeg when it comes to fish.

19 comments:
Oh yummy Dive my mouth is watering... be up there in a couple of Saturdays....
I don't even eat fish, and your post made me hungry.
UGH. It's impossible to find fresh fish in the middle of Ohio, at least in the rural parts. This stuff looks beautiful.
Mum, David only lives round the corner from you, so you should get him to bring stuff home for you.
Sassy: The glass screen at the front of the wet fish counter is to stop my drool getting onto the fish.
Robyn: I could never live more than a few miles from the sea; I don't know how you manage it.
Dive, are those prices in pounds? I see some signs with £, but not all. I'm trying to compare what I pay at my fish market. We're very fortunate to be living so close to the ocean. One time our guys advertised a 13-pound lobster. They brought it out in a laundry basket to show me. Fortunately for the lobster, someone bought it to release back to the ocean.
I weeded more yesterday and found my bleeding heart plant starting to sprout! That's a great triumph for me because I tend to lose them for some reason.
lovely and delicious, sugar! the MITM is supposed to make a seafood risotto tomorrow, but i haven't seen any evidence of fresh seafood here yet. sigh
(i'm soooo not going to beg.)
(not yet.)
sigh
Lupine Lady: the prices are in pounds per kilo. The EU insist we weigh things in kilogrammes but we still think in pounds and ounces, so I always order my food that way.
David has live lobsters and crabs should you want to have a bit more fun in the kitchen.
Yay for you for keeping your bleeding heart plant alive!
Fortunately for me it is raining hard here so I'm excused weeding.
Savannah: I had prawn risotto last night. It was truly scrummy. Not that you want to hear that. Hee hee.
Enjoy whatever the MITM cooks!
xoxox
Prawn risotto and I wasn't invited? Yeah, I know, I'm no Katie, but then few of us are! :D
Disclaimer: I am only teasing Dive as he always invites Katie and other lovelies to dine with him. Just a gentle reminder not to leave out those of us who might not be quite up to par. ;)
Ah!Ah!Dear Cali!
Thanks to you,I have a good time!!!
Imagination???
Yum,
I'll be right over.
Our bestest fish man "flew the coop". He was really Don the crab man. Even though I'm a bit landlocked, I am only 30 miles from the Chesapeake bay, the blue crab capital of the world.
Looks delicious. I'm absolutely fed up that our blogs did not collide whilst I was in Norfolk this week dear Dive. It really wasn't that sort of visit after all, there was much to do and Mum to be with, all the time. Hopefully next time. I missed you x
Eeeeeeeeeew! It's good to be landlocked and safe. And fooooooooh to you and Lynn not fitting in a coffee chat. :P
Fresh fish and seafood is a must. Living here in the "Twin Farms" (Mpls/St. Paul) we have several great seafood markets. Much of my seafood and fish gets grilled to perfection 12 months a year with my fav being grilled jumbo sea scallops with a very light buttery lemon and dill sauce served with risotto ala Dive. I like this with a nice dry fume blanc or a light chardonnay. Good post Dive.
What a fun post! I especially like the top photo because it has the fish guys, and all that amazing fish, and the cool poster on the wall of fish. Looks like a great place to buy fish. I do like fish, but I can't even remember the last time I bought any and brought it home to cook it myself. Pretty lame for someone who lives close to the ocean.
Cali: par is just offering to bring wine and do the dishes, so I bet you can manage that!
Eew. I'm sure that it all tastes wonderful but I had to skip through the photos rapidly. You know me Dive; I can't handle raw fish!
As much as I love watching underwater films of sea creatures, I'm actually terrified of them. I don't know why I have this ridiculous phobia. Sorry dearest Dive.
Cali: You are welcome to come over for dinner whenever you want. Just bring some California sunshine with you.
Much to my embarrassment I don't recall actually inviting Katie over to dinner, though we did go out to a restaurant once. So please bring her along, too.
Anonymous: imagination can play strange tricks. I know mine does.
Neetzy: Come on over. What a shame you lost Don the crab man. At least you're only a short drive from a beautiful stretch of seafood-rich coastline.
Lynn: We'll get to meet up when your mum's fully recovered, don't worry. It will be better not to have to rush things anyway. We can have coffee and shop and meander through the pretty old parts of the city.
Shan: I hang my head in shameful apology for finding your fish-phobia funny. Hee hee.
Mark: You must really, REALLY start your own blog and post recipes. You only need to do one or two a month to keep us slavering fans happy. You write so mouthwateringly well.
Katie: Fish is gooooood.
You don't need to cook fish at home; you are surrounded by wonderful places to eat seafood.
And wow! You'd do the dishes? Get over here right now!
Mme: So sorry for the rawness of the fishies. Today I've posted a cooked version to make up for it.
We have so few fish mongers and butchers anymore here in the states. I miss that. I grew up with them and it is not the same as buying them at the grocery store.
We do have a butcher close by to us called Stouffers Place. They not only have excellent cuts of meat, they also have homemade desserts like thick slabs of marbley fudge and bread pudding heaped with raisins. Ah.
Mmm … Stouffer's Place sounds yummy, Maria.
I couldn't live anywhere where I can't cycle to the coast. I need the sea, not to mention the seafood!
Yes that would be lovely. I know I would have worried about getting back to her.
Post a Comment