Has anyone seen my blog-mojo?
The fucker's done a runner again.
Try as I might, there's nothing in my brain remotely blogworthy.
I'm feeling vaguely meancholic; the weekend stretches before me like a yawning abyss of household chores with only tonight's opera to brighten it up.
I got back from the city this morning with a shopping bag full of goodies from David the fishmonger and have just woken from some kind of trance, having spent the past half an hour chugging a great big bag of shell-on prawns, dipping 'em in home-made chili oil and crunching those lovely pink, juicy guys one after another.
I had bought them to cook with but I think I must have got distracted whilst putting things in the fridge because here I am with a bowlful of prawn heads (okay, at least I can freeze those for my next stock) and a vague sense of having been listening to Frank Bridge's piano trios but I don't actually remember any of it.
Where's the fun in gorging myself on piri-piri prawns if I can't remember the pleasure afterward?
Sigh …
What's wrong with me?
I've not been sleeping well since before Christmas.
I get cravings for odd food.
Some days my brain is full of ideas; others - like today - it is just sitting there like a blancmange.
I mean it's completely empty.
I've just been in there, poking around in dusty corners, looking for thoughts.
Nada.
No amount of rifling or rummagery produces a single sentient spark.
Is this what getting old feels like?
Lethargy and lassitude?
I do hope not because being young again isn't an option.
And anyway, being young sucked.
I feel like I've got lost just lately.
I don't know where I've gone and I kinda miss me, so if anyone finds me, please put me back where I belong.
Bed would be nice.
I could do with the sleep.
Hey ho. I'd better get up off my lazy ass and hit the housework.
Bleah …
36 comments:
Maybe you're pregnant. Those symptoms sound familiar.
I'm certainly the right shape for it, Lynn.
Not having had sex since the Cenozoic era, however, puts the dampers on that particular avenue of entertainment.
Quite, me too. Puts me in mind of when I was wheeled in for a baby scan last year with severe womb pains, they pointing out helpfully that a surprising amount of people don't even know they are pregnant. Mind you, I was flattered they even thought me young enough! Mind you, the prospect of the screaming pain of childbirth WITHOUT having had the pleasure of sex is just, well it's insult to injury isn't it.
Darn it, Lynn beat me to it. I was going to suggest you might be pregnant.
I do hope you find yourself soon, blogfriend. It's no fun being lost.
Maybe it's the change of seasons...winter not quite over, spring not quite here and you caught in the middle.
Prawns with shells ON, crunch crunch? Sounds weird to me.
Yep. I know the feeling too well. It does mimic pregnancy symptoms and...S.A.D.-seasonal affect disorder. I think we need a hearty dose of Spring and some outdoor activity maybe. Also, something different might help. A change of activity or a mini-break perhaps.
I just said the same exact thing to a friend yesterday about finding our blog mojo again so that made me laugh curiously. :)
There is also a feeling in the air with some friends who seem to be getting fed up with blogland and facebook. I can see a new cyber disorder being named quite soon. Can we blame the internet for this? Al Gore perhaps? Ok, nothing political then. teehee
Jamey and I have been sick most of this week with that durn flu so I'm just trying to be normal in that sense right now as I'm supposed to be singing in church tomorrow-eeek. I hate this foggy brained existence!
Maybe we should have all gone to Disneyland for a week with Robyn. :)
Maybe,Lynn and Scout could be right
And it's could be a"nervous" pregnancy. Are you going to visit a
gynecologist?
Sounds to me like you might have lyme disease. Do you live in a grassy wooded area with deer ticks? Fever, fatigue, body aches and irregular heartbeat are all symptoms. If you don't have ticks in England, I suggest buying the "Complete Manual of Things That Might Kill You: A Guide to Self-Diagnosis for Hypochondriacs". I'm sure you'll find the answer there!
Get up and go boy what ever is the matter with you.....you will get old soon enough, so enough of self pity ... get back to those great blogs.....or go and buy a new mattress to help you to sleep.....
Mind you if you were pregnant you would be worth a fortune! Tee Hee...
Sex is pleasurable, Lynn? I honestly can't remember that far back in time but I'll take your word for it.
Like the glasses, by the way, but I'm not sure about the hat.
Robyn: I'm not even sure where I left myself so I have no idea where to start looking.
Cynthia: Spring is sure taking its sweet time waking up this year.
And until today (chatting with a friend over there) I had no idea folk in the US were grossed out by eating prawns with the shell on. It is where the flavour is! The soft, squidgy bit is just filling. I was most amused by the expression of "ICK!" on my friend's face when I crunched up some prawns on camera.
Delicious!
Hee hee.
Shan: Yes, spring would be nice. And a change of activity from interminable train delays would be even nicer.
I'm not fed up with Blogville, just with my own inability to think if anything to post.
Yikes! I do hope you and Jamey feel better soon. Singing in church will be icky with flu, plus you're not going to be too popular breathing that over the rest of the choir!
I agree; next time Robyn books at Disney, she should bring us all along, too.
Anonymous: I was thinking more of going to the vet.
Katie: Thankfully I am tick-free right now so it's not Lyme disease.
Sheesh! I thought fever, fatigue, body aches and irregular hearbeat were all symptoms of being in luurve, but spring's not here yet so an old man's fancy is still turning to prawns rather than all that other business.
That book sounds a hoot!
Mum: A new mattress sounds a wonderful idea; old Mister Lumpy is long overdue for retirement. Actually sleeping through the night would be such a wonderful surprise.
You need one of two thing. First you need the "Sleep Number Bed." Im sure we Yanks send them across the Pond. Second you need to participate in a sex orgy with at least two beautiful gals. That will cure what ails you.
Take TWO and call me in the morning.
Dive, you are procrastinating. That always makes me feel that way. Unfortunately, when I'm procrastinating, I always get things done that do not count as progress. Things like washing windows. My guess is that it has to do with not getting your passport yet. You are pining for a trip out of the mother country. What are you avoiding?
Right now I'm procrastinating starting another stage of a quilt. So I'm reading blogs.
Go plant a tree.
Then again, someone who eats the prawn shells is probably having digestion challenges. I know someone who eats lobster bodies, cartilage and all. It certainly saves time in picking out the meat, but the crunching really put me off.
Hi, Mark.
I don't think we have Sleep Number Beds over here but I certainly know about them from Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon podcasts, where he announces them as the sponsor.
As for the beautiful girls, I'm afraid they are even harder to come by.
Sigh …
Lupine Lady: I kind of abandoned the housework and sat around listening to the opera and I'm now off to bed with a good book (Mark's suggestion not being practicable).
I'll be heading out of the country in October for a couple of days so I have that to look forward to.
Ah, the prawn thing. I was eating the little prawns (in this post they are at the bottom of the page on the side of the plate: http://smallglassplanet
.blogspot.com/2008/09
/whats-cooking-with-dive
-comfort-food.html), rather than the larger, hard shell prawns. The shells are softer than potato chips and so intensely delicious it is a shame to waste them.
Hee Hee Doctor Mark so funny with his diagnose and his therapy!!!
That's an exellent experimencied
Specialist!!!
I think it's all the Omega 3's and 6's in the prawn shells that's done it but I think a foggy brain is better than a soggy brain dear. As for food cravings; I have them every day and there's no way that I'm pregnant.
Glad that you gave up on the housework - it will still be there waiting for you tomorrow or even next week. One really can't rush these things.
Blogworthy? You don't even know what that means. You're ALWAYS blogworthy! And we love you.
I have no diagnosis or remedy for you, Dive (at least none as hilarious as those offered by your other wonderful correspondents), but I would like to thank you for inventing a wonderful new word: meancholic. {;-})
Dive, listen to (some of) your women friends. Here are the ones I choose to agree with today:
Get up and go, you'll get old soon enough. (Alifan)
You are procrastinating. (Lupine Lady)
You are ALWAYS blogworthy! And we love you. (Mme Benaut)
I'm hoping Shan is wrong. If you suffer from SAD you're in trouble, because isn't the weather often gloomy in London? No wonder you're pigging out on crustacean shells. If you're pregnant, though, that might be good. As Alifan said, you'd be worth a fortune, not just because you're a man but because the whole immaculate conception theory would be proven. I'm not sure you'd make any Christians happy with it, though.
Petrea, thanks for the vote of confidence. BTW, when you are on "Days of Our Lives" again would you let Katie know so she can tell me. I'm a pretty faithful watcher.
Dive, I sleep on a "Sleep Number Bed." 35. Highly recommend it. I think Mark's recommendation for two beautiful girls should be slightly altered to be one beautiful girl and one mirror.
Will do, Lupine Lady. Is Kate Roberts still undergoing cancer treatment? If so, it could happen. I played her oncologist in one episode and that was it. Just sat by the bed and told her a little bit about the treatment, then went away never to return. Maybe someone else on "Days" will need an oncologist someday, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone, not even a fictional character!
Here are some shots I took in the make-up room.
What's a blog mojo by the way?
he he that was quite a talking to from Mum as only Mums are allowed! Yep go mattress shopping Dive. Shan's idea of doing something different is good too.
Thanks - the glasses are an everyday and all the time thing for me, even the sunglasses are prescription. The hat is a necessity at the moment (though I adore hats anyway) - I've had my hair cut too short and, being a girly girl, I can't imagine why I did. I'm not used to short hair. It sticks up when you wake! What's that all about? I have to spend time styling it to look anything at all and I hate all that. There's not even hair to wrap around a roller. I'm in hair misery, I tell you. I'm appealing for all unwanted hats please. I've put out a message on Facebook too. All gratefully received. WHY did I let that hairdresser cut my flicks off? WHY did I cut my 12" off in the first place? Pah! The only good thing is the short shower; it's almost dry by the time I've wrapped myself in a towel.
I hope you get some rest. I don't think you're old. Just tired. And prawny.
I love my hair short short short. But I'm used to it. Let us see yours, Lynn.
He sure does give great advice, Anon.
Mme: Prawns are yummy! I don't know much about omega 3 and 6 fatty acids but I know what I like to eat.
I got another food craving today and photographed it for the next post.
That was yummy, too.
Lucio: Well spotted! It does seem a particularly apt word for Old Dive; a combination of misery and nastiness that sums the old bugger up a treat.
Petrea: I always listen to my women friends. Mostly because ignoring them invites a slap.
Fortunately I do not suffer from SAD and anyway, the weather here has been so much sunnier even than Katie's in San Francisco these past few weeks that I would have no excuse even were I unlucky enough to suffer from it.
Lupine Lady: Thanks for the reminder that our lovely Petrea is so much more than simply a Blogville neighbour.
I shall be matress-hunting in the next week or so and I'll be sure to look out for Sleep Number beds, if only so I can do the Garrison Keillor impersonation from the ad we get over here.
Petrea: That's an awesome chair and you look gorgeous in it!
Days Of Our Lives unfortunately does not play over here (at least not on the four miserable channels that are all I can receive). I would love to see you "in action".
Lynn: It's kinda squishy and wanders about of its own accord but without it I cannot write blog posts.
Ah! At last I understand the hat. You know I love long hair. When you had it cut I was sorely tempted to post Billy Bragg's version of Walk Away Renée, where his dream girl won't date him and he gets all upset but in the last verse: "Then she had her hair cut short and I didn't love her any more."
Hee hee!
Short hair does look cool if you can carry it off (look at Robyn and Petrea) but I'm afraid I'm an old fashioned long hair lover.
Sara: Tired and prawny is a pretty fair description. Regrettably, those qualities are not high on a girl's list when it comes to dating.
Hey ho.
Hee hee, Petrea! Yes, Lynn. Let us at least make up our own minds.
Oh Gawd. I suppose I must. Brace yourselves. I too am a long hair lover. It was a whim. My hair has been waist length for most of my life. Eek.
Yay for you, Lynn!
I can't wait to see it.
Dive,
I think its the time of year. At least you admit it when you have the blog-blahs. I don't post anything.
Oh on that hair thing...I'm with Lynn. I used to have that very long hair. It's been shoulder length for a while. I can't get in to see my stylist for a couple of weeks so I'm thinking of just letting it grow out. What the heck. Will this look ridiculous on an almost 50 year old woman?
Hope your commute wasn't too"hard"
and that you didn't today need a kalachnikow to calm your nerves
(k. beeing the most useful weapon
because It never get jammed!)
By the way,please did you guess I am the anonymous sometimes commuting at Fabulous Lucio post?
Thanks for your answer.Friendly to you.
Neetzy: I LOVE long hair on women my own age (or a bit younger like you).
These days, long hair in middle age says "artist", "rebel", "intellectual" and "sassy as all get-out", so go for it!
I wasn't sure, Anonymous, but the majority opinion of the curious of Blogville was that it was you over at Lucio's.
Seems they were right, which means I probably owe them a beer.
Hey ho.
At least that means we're narrowing it down a little. You appear to be French, which is a start.
Hmm, I thought that was what short hair said.
It does on you, Petrea (see my note to Lynn), with the added bonus that you look totally cool (and hot at the same time, if you don't mind me saying so). Hee hee.
Hee hee. Cornered him, didn't we, Lynn? Aw, Dive, you're sweet.
Doh!
God, I hate it when my mind goes blank in Blogville. And it is best not to blog because it always comes out all wrong.
So, take a nip of alcohol and listen to something sweet.
And I think I am making up for the sleep you lack, I could easily sleep for twelve hours a night.
Okay,
You've convinced me! I don't know if I can grow it "arse-length" again, but I'm tired of this middle length.
Twelve hours, Maria? Sheesh! I've not done that since I was a student.
Yay, Neetzy! Go for it!.
And post photos, please! Hee hee.
Post a Comment