Sunday, March 29, 2009

What's Cooking With Dive? Jehovah's Halibut

Mmmm … Halibut!
Second only to the magnificent turbot in the world of flatfish yumminess.

Don't just take my word for it, go watch "Life Of Brian,"
As Matthias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath said at his stoning:
"That piece of halibut was worthy of Jehovah."

So … at the risk of being stoned to death (as opposed to merely being stoned), let's hear it for halibut!YAY, HALIBUT!
Here's a dish worthy of any deity you might choose to worship.
I don't choose to worship any of them myself, but at a push, my deity of choice would be Steve Albini.
Steve, you have an open invitation to dinner any time.

Anyhoo …You know the drill: Get your pinnies on and let's go trash the kitchen.

Right … What kind of things do halibut dream of meeting in the culinary afterlife (the après-vie, as Arthur Dent would have it)?

By flukey coincidence I was talking to a halibut just the other day and it told me to stock up on these:

- Organic single cream (or whatever the equivalent is in the Colonies … quick update: thank you, Robyn; apparently it is called half-and-half - or haff'n'haff if you're from Ohio … hee hee);
- Organic new potatoes;
- Capers (the village store was shit out of organic, so slap me hard);
- Organic unwaxed lemons;
- Organic watercress;
- Lemon thyme from the garden;
- Mint from the garden;
- Parsley from the windowcill;
- Organic artichoke hearts (I used canned for this as I find whole artichokes are a pain in the ass unless they are to be the main ingredient … I'm a lazy bastard);
- A whole bunch of prawns;
- A fragrant, spicy, intensely glorious wine worthy of the demise of a noble halibut (as in so many other splendid occasions in life, Gewurtztraminer is the only way to go here).

Oh, and a stonking great halibut steak!
Halibut - while not quite in the same "bankers' bonus" league as turbot - is decidedly not cheap, so you don't want to waste what can be an orgasmic experience by skimping on your other ingredients.
This chunk cost me £8.50 but it was worth every last penny.
Holy frijole, it tasted so gooooood!

So …
Let's get simple.
This is a dish that even George W. Bush couldn't fuck up.
Yes, it really is that plain dumb simple.

First up: pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5 (that's the equivalent of something or other if you have an electric oven. I have no idea).

Next up: fire up the hob, grab a saucepan, throw in the spuds and mint, cover 'em in water (no salt … you know my views on that) and away we go.

All you have left to do is to grab a hold of the rest of that bunch of ingredients, pour over a generous glass of Gewurtztraminer to thank the halibut for sacrificing its life on the altar of yumminess, slap a knob of organic, unsalted Irish butter on the top and parcel up the whole shebang in foil.
Here's a piece of advice: no matter how tight you wrap it, some cream and stuff is going to escape so I put mine in a nice Le Creuset fish-baking dish to catch the glop.

As soon as the potato water starts boiling, stick your fish and glop in the oven and go do the Guardian Saturday Prize Crossword (that's my twenty-minute timer).

Peel back the foil and check it after twenty minutes or so. I checked mine after twenty-five as I had a really thick steak - it still needed a few more minutes so I drained the potatoes while I waited.

When it's done, pop it on a plate with some more watercress, mint leaves and a lemon and tuck in!
Voilà! Halibut Baked With All Sorts Of Stuff.
Mmmmmm … Zowee! Pretty much piscatorial perfection.
Yes, I know there's enough there to serve two … why d'you think I'm such a fat bastard?

Enjoy!
I certainly did.

30 comments:

Alifan said...

When are Ivan and I invited for dinner?????you said you were going to eat that in two halves!!!!!!

It looks yummy......

dive said...

You can come over any time, but you're not allowed in my crappy kitchen until I've replaced it with a decent one.

I did eat it in two halves … just both halves at once.
Er …

savannah said...

ok, so the MITM just looked at this and said...oh yeahhh, now that's a meal! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh, yummy! Do you hire out?

dive said...

Woohoo! So cool to be complimented by such a great seafood cook as the MITM, Savannah!
xoxoxo

Lupine Lady: If you can come over and get rid of my ground elder I'll cook you whatever you want Hee hee.

Maria said...

God, wonderful. And I don't even fancy fish.

I use half and half a lot. I use it when I make oatmeal. Bing just shudders at the calorie content, but it tastes so incredible.

dive said...

Yikes! Single cream on oatmeal, Maria? I'm shuddering along with Bing. A tub of single cream is a once-a-month treat for me and it usually goes to make a carbonara sauce.

mark said...

What a great looking plate. I may just borrow that recipe the next time I cook the State Fish of Minnesota, the walleye(yes we have a state fish and a state flower, the showy ladyslipper and even a state muffin, blueberry of course.) Great wine pairing too Dive.

dive said...

Thanks, Mark.
And yay for a state muffin!

Katie said...

Fabulous looking dish Dive! And not just because of all the butter and half-and half. Who cares if you have a "crappy kitchen" if you can still whip up meals like this. And excuse me for oggling your Le Creuset baking dish.

Mark do you make your walleye State Fair Style and put it on a stick? You could deep fry a chunk of green bean casserole on a stick, and even make frozen white wine popsicles and have the whole meal on sticks! (Sorry but I do actually miss going to the Minnesota State Fair.)

dive said...

Hoorah for calories, Katie!
You're welcome to ogle my Le Creuset any time.
And hee hee for the Minnesota State fair jokes! I have so got to go there and see that.

Cynthia said...

That looks simply wonderful, Dive. I do love fish and may have to try something wrapped up like that.

I have an orange Le Creuset dish just like that, too, but I use mine for Blackberry Crisp (my own organic berries, thank you very much).

Anonymous said...

What's for dinner tomorrow?

Petrea Burchard said...

Halibut is the fish for me! It's nice to show up and find one of your fabulous recipes. It's been a long week and I've missed your banter. Tell you what: I'll get rid of your ground elder AND your ground younger if you'll cook for me. I'll even bring the white wine popsicles.

mark said...

I never miss the "Great Minnesota Get-Together." Im gonna try putting that walleye on a stick. I think I will keep my wine in the glass. lol Come visit in August Dive and Katie. We will make a day of it.

Anonymous said...

Food snot stepping up... why didn't you use uncooked shrimp? The cooking time would have cooked them perfectly? Yes you can slap me now.

from cali said...

For some reason I would have thought your Le Creuset would be blue . . .

Petrea: LOL about the ground elder/younger. At first I thought that was what Dive meant!

Anonymous said...

You all share such different posts in a day. Isn't It hard to be everywhere? I'm sure you w'll get around to the others. Congratulations.

dive said...

Cynthia: I would dearly love to try some of your home-grown blackberry crisp! Yum!

Lupine Lady: Er … back to commuting today so it was kelp onigiri and sushi eaten on the train home.

Petrea: thank you!The ground elder - together with its newly sprouting ground younger - is quaking in its boots.
White wine popsicles?

Mark: I must see Minnesota before I die and as I hate cold weather it looks like the State Fair is the right time to visit.
I'll bring sticks.

Hi, Prudence! I used what I had handy in the fridge. Sorry. I'm a lazy cook and a lazier shopper.

Cali: I did contemplate getting some of the lovely blue stuff but I already had a bunch of orange and thought it best to stick with that. I'm old enough to have started using it when orange was the only colour they made.

Robyn: Irish butter is butter from Ireland. They have damned good grass over there and the cow-juice is somehow creamier.

Anonymous: I honestly don't know where they all find the time. I've not had a chance to look at blogs all day and now I'm home I'm going to bed.

Petrea Burchard said...

The popsicles were Katie's idea. Excellent, I think.

dive said...

Katie is chock full of excellent ideas Petrea but I'm not sure that eating frozen things on sticks is one of her better ones.

neetzy said...

Yummy looking halibut! I'm thinking your single cream is more like our "heavy cream". Our half and half is half milk, half cream. Our French chef friend only uses the good "heavy cream" in all of his wonderful sauces. He makes a fine halibut, almost as good as yours looks!

I do agree that the Irish butter is the best! The yogurt was also incredible. They must feed shamrocks to thier cows to make such sweet dairy.

MmeBenaut said...

Well I managed to get right through that one Dive! Looked absolutely delicious and with all those delicious ingredients, it's easy to see why!

You are amazing in the kitchen. I do so wish you would come down here and cook for me (as long as I don't have to look at the fish before it is ready to eat).

Anonymous said...

Dive I've just been checking a website that has nice instructions for making onigiri. I love sushi, but didn't know what onigiri is. Sounds like something I could do. I lived with a Japanese woman and her children and mother for a year when I was in grad school in Hawaii and was introduced to a lot of foods that were new to me. Do you make your own sushi on weekends?

dive said...

Neetzy: you're probably right. I think what you call "half-and-half" must correspond to our "gold-top", your "heavy cream" to our "single cream" and your "whipping cream" to our "double cream".
It will be fun finding out when eventually I reach the States.

Irish butter is indeed yummy; just like Irish lasses … ahem.

Mme: I'm so glad you got through my recipe without barfing. As you know I would be delighted to cook with you (rather than for you). What fun we could have! I'll deal with all the raw fish while you look the other way.

Lupine Lady: Aha! Another entry in the Transatlantic Dictionary. Thank you for clearing that one up.

I do make my own onigiri (I occasionally make sushi but it is such a sticky pain to make well that it is much easier for me to walk to Yoshino and have my favourite sushi chef make it for me).
I'm afraid I cheat and use onigiri moulds (99p for two) but when I fessed up to Mayuko she said she uses the very same ones so I don't feel too bad. Hee hee.
I may well do an onigiri-making post soon.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

You do that crossword in 20? Oh sorry I digress.
Wonderful meal that looks, I cook often in foil parcels. Keeps all the yum in.

It was a huge serving though Dive, I'd have exploded.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

and we know it's all in the presentation,don't we?

dive said...

Lynn: The Times crossword generally takes me between eighteen minutes and half an hour and the Grauniad about twenty minutes most days.
Commuting develops odd skills.

Also, I'm a greedy pig. Hee hee … oink.

Rich: my problem is that I only ever get to present food to myself. Hey ho.

Anonymous said...

You really like seafood dont you?


I think its great ^_^ Hehe One day when Ive had too much coffee and want to kill some time, Ill wander through here and cook some of this stuff... (probobly not very well.... =) )

dive said...

Yup, I really like seafood, Dot.
I like coffee and alcohol, too, but seafood is a lot better for me.

All of the stuff I post is simple to cook; most of it is one-pot stuff so you should have no problem at all.
Go for it!