Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Aww Crap! Who Let Him Out (Again)?

Hokay …
Lynn: you can stop reading now because you'll only doze off otherwise.
Anyone else who doesn't like the long, ranty, boring, Godbothering posts can go do something more interesting.
The rest of you (the two or three who actually miss "Dive" and of course, Shan, who will once again be very disappointed in me) can put the kettle on and settle in with a coffee.

He's back, and he's rambling incoherently and offensively and doesn't give a flying fuck.

I don't know if any of you can remember but just before christmas Dive got ticked off by an "official statistic" about Godbotherers:
Here's a recap:

"I just checked the stats for the UK; a frankly unbelievable 71.8% of Brits profess to being "Christian", with only 15.1% giving "none" for their religion.
I wonder how many of the people who fill in "Christian" actually gave a thought to celebrating the birth of Christ on Christmas morning; I wonder how many of them got off their fat asses and went to church instead of sat around opening presents and teaching their children greed and ingratitude.

I'm not talking about the Yanks here; some of them actually DO go to church; I'm talking about the millions of Brits who profess themselves "Christian" in the census but for whom that is the end of the matter.
They go to church for weddings and funerals and vaguely believe in some sort of "spiritual God thing", but that's the extent of their commitment.

Their sole purpose seems to be to make the statistics look like we are a nation of fervent believers and regular churchgoers when in fact Sunday in this country is a day for lazing around in front of the TV and most of our professed "Christians" are no more Christian than I am.
Probably considerably less as at least I still read The Bible and try to make sense of it all; the closest to Jesus most people around here get is watching the fucking da Vinci code.

I've been down to my local church on several occasions; the big festivals where you'd expect the place to be packed out.
The most I've ever seen in there is around twenty people and all of those were elderly.
Which for a church that has a catchment area of over five thousand people gives a much clearer indication of the nation's spirituality than the official statistics …"

So … In my parish, a little under half of one percent of the population actually go to church, and most of those are little old ladies who go for a sleep during the sermon, then a nice singalong and the free tea and biscuits afterwards where they can gossip about TV and their latest operations with their biddy buddies, rather than to discuss theology.

I did a little test: I found Marion (who actually does go to church) in the queue at the village post office a couple of weeks back and as we got chatting I threw out a few Bible subjects at her.
She had no idea what I was talking about …

I started with Isaiah - which, for any Brits reading this is basically the ranty threats and imprecations of a bloke moaning to his mates about the way Jerusalem was being run two and a half thousand years ago - but which today's US evangelists somehow interpret as prophesying with alarming accuracy events such as a Democratic President heralding The End Of The World … or indeed anything else that they don't like (or that smacks of reality - something which scares the shit out of them) heralding The End Of The World …
… to which Marion replied "Ooh, it's been so long since I read any of that I wouldn't know what it said any more."

Similarly, Daniel elicited some memories from Sunday School (back in the 1920s) about the lion's den but nothing else at all.

Turns out that Marion - one of our more devout Christians - knows a couple of phrases from the sermon on the mount but the rest of the Bible is a closed book to her, far less important than the events on TV's "Strictly Come Dancing" … "Ooh, the dresses are so beautiful! You should see them!"

She goes to church because it gets her out of the house on a Sunday and she can have a nice natter.

Anyhoo … I won't spend today knocking the evangelists (much) as they're more than welcome to put whatever spin they want on those old stories as long as they don't try to push that crap on me.

No … today I am happy to announce a survey that actually seems to coincide with reality a little more than the official Christianity figures.

Here you go: check this out: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/02/

Turns out that four out of five Britons repudiate creationism (and most of those who actually profess to believe in that stuff are Irish and Welsh, so for England the figure is even higher).
"The survey suggests there is a widespread lack of religious sentiment across Britain … 89% dismiss intelligent design and 83% reject creationism as plausible explanations for the existence of human life."

And even better: "The East of England may be the most Godless region in the UK …"
Woohoo!
The most Godless region of a Godless country.
It's so nice to get official recognition at last.

Reading a little further into the article, however, I discover something else about this country:
The survey (to mark Darwin's 200th birthday) found that:

- five percent of UK adults think Darwin wrote Hawking's "A Brief History of Time";

- three percent of adults think he wrote Dawkins' "The God Delusion";

- and one percent (that's actually over TWENTY of the 2,060 canvassed; extrapolate that for the country as a whole and it's scary) think he wrote "The Naked Chef".

I've come to the conclusion that a tiny percentage of the population of England can truthfully be called Christian (those who believe without thinking, as I once did before I lost my faith/started using my brain - delete where applicable) and around four-fifths of us are rational people who actually use our brains and are not truly Christian.

But there are still millions of people out there who are too dumb to even think about anything at all.
They sit, drooling in front of their stupid fucking TV sets with their brains leaking out of their ears, stuffing junk food and becoming dumber by the day.

These are the people who come in to the office in the morning and start conversations with those awful, soul-destroying words: "Did you see …"
They are the lumpenproletariat; the "Duh" generation; the Daily Mail and Sun readers (in the US they'd watch Fox News); people who take no interest whatsoever in the world about them.
They breed in alarming numbers.
They TXT rather than write; grunt rather than speak; the only book they've ever read is the first Harry Potter, though most of them didn't get through it but just watched the movie instead.
They tick "Christian" in the surveys because if they don't someone might think they're Muslim.

If we don't start culling those fuckers they will be our future!

Anyhoo … disregarding The Dumb, we are indeed a nation who has lost our faith, big time.

Several theories have been put forward over the past few decades as to why Europe - and England in particular - is so "Godless" (though I prefer to wonder why the middle bits of the US are so obsessed with pretending to be prehistoric Hebrews); the successive traumas of the two World Wars being the most common and I am sure that has had some effect; forcing the survivors to question the existence of any God.

Christians in the US find that hard to understand but then their country came late to both conflicts and didn't arrive until years of slaughter had reduced both sides to depopulated, exhausted and brutalised wrecks who had fought to a standstill and then dropped, only for the bright, shiny GIs to mop up what was left and wonder what we were all so depressed about (hokay, I know that's oversimplification and cannot praise or thank the American service personnel enough for the glorious sacrifices they made, but basically, for the average US citizen who wasn't being bombed to shit every day and starving, the war in Europe was a long way away).

Our cities bombed to rubble and whole generations dead, damaged or traumatised; followed by decades of austerity and depression as paying back US war loans bankrupted us (ironically, the US used our money to rebuild German and Japanese economies while we struggled, managing to pay off the last loan in 1980 and are subsequently left a third rate country … thanks, guys! We love the GIs, but that still kinda rankles).

No … My own theory as to why we are a Godless nation is that - as the statistics show - four out of five of us have better things to do.
Now that we no longer need to wonder where rainbows came from or why the sun comes up and goes down we don't need to invent a God to explain that shit.
We are smart enough to look at Christianity and say "No, thanks".

Take the Bible:

Sure; as a very one-sided and biased history of the Hebrew tribes living in a small part of the Middle East two and a half thousand years ago, the Old Testament is sporadically entertaining and occasionally hilarious.

Sure; as rules for living in a nomadic desert tribe, some of the Laws make sense, though most of them would be deemed utterly barbaric in any form of society other than neolithic desert tribal warfare.

Sure; the "prophets" are a great read, especially out loud when a bunch of you are drunk … they are so fucking unhinged as to be some of the funniest things ever written but they read like drug-addled ravings of madmen and should be taken as such.
Just because some village idiot claimed he saw a vision of a goat with three heads does not mean that two and a half thousand years later some imbecile fundamentalist can pick and choose something he doesn't like that has the number three in it and start screaming about The End Of The World (though that doesn't appear to stop them).

Sure; the Hebrews' "My God is bigger than your God and is gonna stomp all over him" idea was a fun thing to yell in a fight, but the Hebrew God is theirs; they made Him up and they (not you, modern Christians) are His chosen people.
Besides, there IS no God unless you're too dumb, frightened or insecure to be able to cope with reality and need to make up an invisible friend to help you.

To read the Old Testament as anything other than an historical document about bickering tribespeople is truly insane.

As for the New Testament:
Sure; trying to apply Jesus' teachings to the way you live your life is a good idea; I try to do it myself.
Above all he taught compassion, which nobody can really argue is a bad thing.

But the main message I take from the Bible (and which is actually much older than the Bible itself) is the common sense and totally fucking obvious rule:
Don't do anything to anyone else that you wouldn't be happy for them to do to you.

Stick to that and you won't go far wrong.
You don't have to be a Christian to do it. Or a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, Zoroastrian, Moonie or Scientologist.
You can be Godless, like me, and still try to live a good life.

There's no God really, and no afterlife either so don't worry about it.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

I accept theolgy as a study, but people who just go to church for the sake of going to church really only go to 'feel' good, it grounds them in feeling that they have done something right. I did it for 12 years...

Nice post!!

"There's no God really, and no afterlife either so don't worry about it. "
I dont ^_^ glad to hear we share the same views. We're going to end human life on earth anyway dive. Perhaps we are the REAL gods =P

dive said...

True, Dot.
We "non-breeders" are doing our bit to save the planet from those fucking awful humans and their depredations.
Hee hee.

Scout said...

You're so right about people checking "Christian" in the census because people might think they're a Muslim, or in the US, an atheist. And from the atheists I've heard from here, that's like telling people you have a third eye.

And if one more person says that Obama is the antichrist!!

dive said...

Hee hee, Robyn.
I've always kind of objected to the term "atheist" (literally "one who doesn't believe in a God") as it implies that believing in a God is the norm and that we rational people who don't need to shore up an inability to cope with reality by inventing one are somehow not normal, whereas it is we who are "normal" and the tiny minority of our population who are truly religious in some form or other who are irrational.

Obama is Christ's auntie? That's a new one on me.

savannah said...

i think you need to hear this one more time:

i love you!

now, i'm glad that rant is out of your system, for now. robyn made me laugh because she is so right about here in the states and she knows my real name, so, i think, she knows the extra looks i get! xoxo

i really do wish people read more and stopped speaking in buzzwords/soundbites!

dive said...

I love you, too, Savannah, and I too know your beautiful real name.

You are so right; people need to read more.
I have a feeling that if more Christians actually read the New Testament and more Muslims read the Qur'an (rather than merely listening to what fundamentalist crackpots of both religions told them was written in there) the world would be a much better and more peaceful place.

Though if more people realised there is no God it would be even better (and DEFINITELY more peaceful).

savannah said...


Though if more people realised there is no God it would be even better (and DEFINITELY more peaceful).


you must have heard this before or surely come across it in your readings...to you be your way and to me, be mine believe, don't believe, but holy moley, kiddies, can't we all just get along? ;) xoxox

(i'm old, i forgot you knew!) ;)

Anonymous said...

Well told!
I'm glad to read we share the same views.Sorry,my english isn't fluent,sometimes appalling,to express myself about a so current topic.
(Please,when did the young boy,we are calling Dive,start"using his brain?)Hee Hee!

Anonymous said...

"God as an invisible friend for the insecure"

Thank you for a much needed ray of sunshine.

xox

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

he he thanks for the heads up. I don't know WHAT you were on about but I didn't enjoy it. lol x

dive said...

Nicely put, young Savannah.
xoxox

Anonymous: your English is often better than mine.
The young "Dive" started using his brain a long time ago but just lately the thing seems to be developing all the faults you'd expect to find as the guarantee runs out.

Kate: Glad to be of service.

Lynn: Hee hee! I thought I'd better warn you away from that one as you'd only start nodding off part way through it.

Petrea Burchard said...

I mulled all this over for years because I was indoctrinated for years. But I couldn't reconcile the indoctrination with the reality.

It would be such a load off the world, such peace, if religion didn't exist. Imagine a world of thinkers. What would Dive go on about?

It's peaceful at our house, at least. And I'm free on Sundays to feed my brain with facts instead of crap.

Brilliant, Dive. And apparently they're letting you blog at work again. How nice.

dive said...

Thank you, Petrea.
I'm sure Dive would find something to moan aboutif there were no religion … probably mobile phone users and crap TV but then he does that anyway.

I'm working from home today, hence the ability to rant at will.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

All I can say is...WOW!

Katie said...

Amen brother! Glad to see you didn't give up ranting for Lent.

dive said...

Well, Rich; if the big old guy with the beard is sitting there with His finger twitching over the "SMITE" button I'll not be here in the morning; there'll just be a smoking hole in the ground.
If, however, I'm still around, you can pretty well write the old buzzard off.

Katie: It's Lent? Dammit! I forgot to give up alcohol again.
Oh, well; what the hell …

savannah said...

that's right! it's LENT! there are some really delicious e-cards i have to post! ;) xoxo

(young savannah! tis to laugh, but thank you, darling!)

Anonymous said...

An interesting take you have on religion. I will say that you might be right or you might be wrong. I believe the planet would be a better place if each one of us accepted only the amount of religion (or lack there of) that they felt comfortable with. That is usually not the case. Some other mortal person usually TELLS you what to believe. The number of killings that are done in the "name of God" is mindboggling. Fill in your own definition of God. You have it figured as in black and white. Mine is still in the grey. Good post as usual Dive. Plenty of food for thought. Which reminds me. When is Dive going back in the kitchen to create another oral delight?

Anonymous said...

Sorry if I offence someone(-anyone deserves respect for belief-):may I
add that,at the earliest,Rome and
clergy and christendon have knew how exploit all the stuff and take advantage from. And,in the past,
Religion Wars,were terrifiying stories and a shame. We could talk
all the night about.. Dive,you have opened a Pandore box.
Better to finish with"Ita missa est"and my sweet wish for a dreamy night.

Shan said...

Actually you have done your part to remind me to get back in the word(not to be confused with world) Mister! I have been slacking(one of my ultimate pass-times) and watching the occasional junk show on tv and allowing my brains to be taken over by aliens(aka Satan?) and turned to mush recently.

I don't want to be yet another Christian merely checking the box and moving on but, alas, I tend toward the lukewarm. I'm just a sinner like everybody else. ;) Wa Waa.

The thing that always strikes me with you is you are so above average. No, you are above above average in the education and mental departments both. God could use you in such a C.S. Lewis way if you'd let him. You could have an impact on so many unbelievers if only Satan didn't realize this as well. Satan will use any way he can to keep down someone with your mind/heart potential. You still make the time and have the ability to concentrate on what's important, to seek what's right and use your skills for good- while most of the world is getting distracted into mediocrity. Even the Christians are getting quite cozy living in Babylon where it's comfy and unaffected.

Do we blame tv, government or just time for slipping so far from the truth? I'm glad you still realize that even the so called Christians are missing the mark. We are.

I need reminders from people like you who are watching people like me.

God has saved me time and time again from harm and poor choices in life and has given me more in this same life than I could ever deserve. If you seek him, he will come and begin to heal your pain and show you his heart and the plans he has for you in this short time any of us has on earth and in the eternity beyond.

I'm sorry your bothered, but I'm not sorry you are Godbothered as you always have some interesting thoughts to share on that topic.

Now, I must check in on my sweet Dev who has fallen asleep with a big fat lip and loose teeth. Poor baby tripped on his growing hoofers and fell smack on his face at his new school. :(

Anonymous said...

Sorry Shan if I I have bothered you. Maybe,I had lost an occasion to shut up. Again sorry. Have a good night.

MmeBenaut said...

We humans are rather pathetic aren't we? There are so many topics in this rant Dive dear that I can't do them all justice in the limited time I have at the moment. So, I'll just choose one or two.
While it doesn't compare to the blitz on London by the Germans, the US had the crap bombed out of them at Pearl Harbour by the Japanese, as did we in Darwin. They didn't have a period of starvation during WWI and II but they surely did during the civil war.
Diversity equals interest and the fact that the churches are empty says more for the style and hierarchy of the traditional church leaders - we and everything must move with the times which is why some of the evangelical churches are packed and the traditional churches are empty. There is a mammoth amount of bible reading going on all over the place, just not in the east of England it seems.
Just for fun: one of my friends who came from five generations of clergy always refers to God as "le grand legume dans le ciel". Terribly irreverent but a rather fun turn of phrase, fun enough for me to remember it. (Sorry God.)

neetzy said...

Well Dive, I do think you would make a nice Uncle "Screwtape".
Lovely rant tonight. I particularly enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Religion is such a fun, hot button issue.
I still have so many conflicting thoughts on this issue. The Catholic school education is in the blood, even though I don't agree with any of it! Why do I feel compelled to give up meat on Fridays during Lent?

dive said...

Savannah: I can't wait to see them!
xoxox

Mark: I had a crisis of faith a while back and even though I am still searching to try to get it back, right at this moment I cannot believe.
Shan and Robyn have been a great help in setting me on the path back but I've a long way to go yet.
As for cookery posts; I'll have to see what turns up at the fishmongers on Saturday.

Anonymous: I don't think you've offended anybody, least of all me.

Shan … Ah … My conscience! You are too kind as always, but before I reply properly, please let me wish Dev a swift and painless recovery from his face-plant. OW! That's gotta hurt! Poor little guy.

Anyhoo: You - along with Robyn - know full well the struggle in me between the man who is desperately trying to regain the bliss and certainty I enjoyed before I lost my faith and the rational, thinky me who keeps saying "But hang on … what about …?"
You are so right when you say I am Godbothered. It is something constantly in my thoughts; and that is the odd thing … I know full well I read the Bible and meditate on Christianity far more than any of the regular churchgoers around here, who sit in front of their TVs most nights instead of trying to live better lives.
But I am still wandering a long way from the flock.
I'm glad at least I can hear your voice in the distance yelling "Hey! Get your fat ass back in here, buddy!"
If my ranting has jogged you away from the TV and back to meditating on the Word then I am more than happy.

Much as I'd love to do a C.S.Lewis and bring the message to others, I really must find my way back first.
I don't blame TV, government or even time for our drift away from faith; everybody has their own experience of it and must make choices based on their knowledge, feelings or belief.
For bedtime solace just lately I've been re-reading Thomas À Kempis (The Imitation of Christ from the 1400s, where he studies Jesus teachings and tries to find ways of living a better life) and last night I came across an apt passage that made me smile: "When a man trusteth in himself he easily slideth into human comforts, but a true lover of Christ and a diligent follower of all virtue does not fall back on comforts, nor seek such sensible sweetness, but rather prefers hard exercises and to sustain severe labours for Christ."
I tend to trust to myself too much, yet the struggle I have to find my lost faith is indeed a truly uncomfortable path, so perhaps it is the right one.
I could ramble on here for days but I'd better answer the others and get some work done.
Thanks as ever for your wonderful comment. You know how much I value your help.

Anonymous: Please never feel you have to "shut up"; this is a free blog and I welcome anybody's opinion (we've had some screaming, sweary arguments on here in the past but have come out of it all the better).

Mme: So much to think and write about, I know.
I am a great admirer of US and Commonwealth troops and yes, they took a pasting at Pearl Harbour and at Darwin but the point I was trying to get across is that of ordinary families living in towns and cities that were bombed nightly for years. It erodes any faith one might have had in God; it certainly eroded it in Europe.
Every family I know has horror stories of those times and very few of us believe any more.
We do, however, try to move on … Every summer, Gerry's mother comes over here from Germany and we sit in the back garden with her and my other neighbours and reminisce and there is no rancour, even though she survived the bombing of Berlin and my other neighbours survived the Blitz, both of them losing close family members.
Ask her about God, however and you'll get a string of German invective and a "Pah!" together with some very expressive gestures.

And yes, you are right; other than Linnet (my Rector) I am the only person I know out of our parish of five thousand families who actually reads the Bible.
He still regards me as a Christian, though he knows I am currently lapsed but he doesn't give up hope.

Le grand legume dans le ciel? Hee hee hee! Excellent!

Neetzy: Yes, I am a bit of a Screwtape at the moment.
Religion does seem to be a hot button issue in the US but over here (one of the points I was trying to make) nobody bothers with it any more. Bring it up in conversation and you won't get argument and debate, just yawns and pleas to change the subject.
We are indeed Godless here.

Maria said...

Have I mentioned lately, Dive, how much I ADORE you?

And I LOVED the line about god being an invisible friend for the insecure. I said something like this to my sister a few months ago and she sadly told me that she prayed for my soul every single night.

When I had some bloodwork done recently at the hospital, they actually asked for my religious "preference" (probably thought I might kick it considering my illness) and I just wrote down DRUID for fun. My other sister was sitting next to me and snooping on my writing and she was appalled.

It was the best part of my day.

Anonymous said...

Dear,dear,your three answers(well yes Anonnymous is always me!)comfort me a lot.
Last night,as you were reading or sleeping or dreaming or something
else....,I was afraid to have kindled a fire on your post! Really I was ashamed.
Sometimes, my english could sound
pompous or pretentious. I'm not at all so.
I w'll read your today-post tonight(no time now).Maybe,nevertheless
I w'll keep silence. Thanks.(I don't know the sweet english expressions to finish but you may guess)

dive said...

Maria: I adore, you too. Hee hee.
I think your sister had better start praying for my soul, too. If it makes her feel better thinking that her invisible friend is glaring sternly at us then that's a good thing.
Hoorah for being a Druid for a day (any more than that would be dreadfully boring as they're a joyless bunch; we have rather a lot of them over here … a bit like Puritans dressing up as hippies).

Anonymous: your English is utterly charming. And feel free to write whatever you feel on my blog.

Petrea Burchard said...

It's all right to have faith in ourselves. If God, or god, is everything, as some say, then we are connected. We are god. That doesn't mean we're always connected to that part of ourselves, but it's worth trying to find that part, the part that you're struggling to see.

The god in us doesn't need to label god as Christian, Muslim, Jew, etc. That part of us doesn't need national borders. The god in us doesn't make us self-worshippers. It's the part of us that's altruistic, intuitive and intelligent--connected through genetic memory to prehistoric ancestry, able to reach down through time with our thoughts and sympathize with those who came before us.

The god in us knows that God is not some bearded Guy in the Sky, handing down proclamations to the ignorant. God is not religion! Religion was created by frightened, uneducated male human beings, trying to come up with explanations for things they didn't understand so as to mollify their terrified underlings.

We have science now, and science can't explain everything--yet. But one thing it teaches us is that things can be explained. Can everything be explained? Perhaps that is unknowable. But I have faith in science, and I have faith in the god in me, the one I was born with. That's the one I strive to remain close to.

You got me started, Dive.

dive said...

Beautifully put, Petrea!
Thank you so much for that.
It always infuriates me that everybody has their own take on God and that all sides in any war insist that God is on THEIR side (and some particularly dumb leaders even claim to talk to Him … thank God [er] you've had a regime change).

I was watching The Daily Show on my Mac the other evening and the interviewee was Harold Varmus.
If you've not seen it, please check this out:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/
index.jhtml?videoId=219520&title
=Harold-Varmus

The intro piece especially - about the "gap" is hilarious and very pertinent.

I remember the most wonderful part of President Obama's inaugural speech was his phrase: "We will restore science to its rightful place …"
I actually stood up and cheered.

In case you're totally bored and have bags of free time, here's my post on that speech, too:
http://smallglassplanet.blogspot.com
/2009/01/marxist-muses-on-train.html

I must say it is lovely to read your comments and be reminded that there is indeed intelligent life over there across the pond.

Petrea Burchard said...

Indeed, we cheered here, too.

It doesn't surprise me that you think we're all right-wing Christians ready to go on a new Crusade. (That's why, when in Paris in 2006, we felt compelled to tell the French people we met, "nous ne sommes pas des amis de George Bush.")

I know you're (sort of) kidding, but it does hurt a little. There are plenty of thinking folks here, people who lived the last 8 years not just in embarrassment but in sheer horror. We're still jumping for joy, just as we did on election night and inauguration day. We're still thrilled.

The naysayers are going at it. They're so mad! Fox "news" is full of them. And it saddens me that I know and even like (even love) some people who watch and believe that stuff.

But it cheers me that they are a small minority in the world.

The thinkers have won out, at least for now. Now we must prove ourselves with results. As I said on another blog, we wanted change and we got it. The old way of doing things obviously didn't work. Look where it got us! I'm more than willing to give the new way a chance.

dive said...

Petrea: Through the good offices of my lovely neighbours in Blogville I have learned over the past two and a half years that around fifty-one percent of US citizens are not gun-toting Godnuts and Rush Limbaugh fans.
Regrettably, those are all we see in the media over here, which is why it is always wise for US tourists in Europe to pretend to be Canadian.

I am not just delighted but actually astounded that you now have a fantastic President and a Democratic Congress. It is just a shame that they have such a huge pile of crap left over from the Bush years and will have to shift it before they can show just how wonderful a combination that can be.

But for the first time in my adult life, the US administration fills me with hope.

Petrea Burchard said...

Me too, Dive. For the first time in my 53 years.

I said "it does hurt a little" not because you're incorrect but because of the shame. Those god-toting gun nuts and Bush Rimbaugh fans can make it unbearable here sometimes. (They can make the world itself unbearable, as the last eight years have shown.)

So. Hope. It's a good start. Now, with sleeves rolled up, we band together to prove ourselves. Four years is a short time, but we must do it. Otherwise, the naysayers have more fodder for their misguided hate.

dive said...

Here's to hope!