Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Some People I Slept With

Commuters come and commuters go …
When you've been long-distance commuting for as many millennia as I have, eventually the day will come when the ever-dwindling complement of fellow-travellers who were there on your first day trickles away to nothing and leaves you alone … the sole survivor.

That day was today.

With the depressing inevitability of erosion - and yesterday's retirement of John (aka Wiggy for his ludicrously laughable baldy-rug) Old Dive has become the longest-serving commuter on my train.
Don't ask how many years … some of you might not have been born when I started.

The old familiar faces have gradually disappeared and a good many of them I actually miss in a strange and slightly disturbing way.

Here - for no reason other than wallowing in my own nostalgia, and disregarding such occasional and erotic delights as the Thumb-Sucking Girl and the Church Of Fornication - are teensy vignettes of just a few of the people I have slept, snored and drooled with over the years during my three-and-a-half hour journey to work and the three-and-a-half hour journey home again and who have since fallen by the wayside:

- Mary Hopkin, Witchfinder General (for an expalanation of which, please see the Thumb-Sucking post).

- A Woman Called Horse.
A starchy lady of indeterminate age whose grip on reality had slipped to such an extent that she habitually travelled to London dressed for horseriding (boots, jodphurs, riding jacket - the full monty - and read nothing but horse magazines.
She had a short, loud bark of a laugh that could alarm those who didn't know her.

- Underbite and Backspace.
A matching pair of imbecilic sports fans from Ipswich; Underbite because you could have used his lower jaw as a shelf for your coffee mug, and Backspace for the sheer, blank stupidity of his expression, as if God had accidentally hit "backspace" when it came time to insert his brain.

- The Ginger Pig.
A fat, florid and unfeasibly ginger-coiffed man in his sixties who snored quite entertainingly; named after a John LeCarré character.

- Stinky Perfume Girl.
Those of you who know I am anosmic will also know that all an anosmic can register of a perfume is the taste of the solvent in the air. All perfumes "smell" (taste) just like paint, turps and petrol.
Stinky Perfume Girl (after the … ahem … Madonna song of not quite the same name) used to board my train at Stowmarket and I had to hope she sat at least half a dozen seats away from me. If she came any closer I had to endure several minutes of coughing and retching into my hanky before the reeking, fœtid cloud of stench she carried around with her subsided sufficiently to allow safe inhalation.

- Breakfast Boy.
This guy was a small, bearded, gnome-like apparition who for many a year sat at one of the table seats and would entertain the rest of us daily by fussily arranging a veritable smørgasbørd of Tupperware on the table before him, after which he would painstakingly prepare his breakfast, producing cereal, milk, fruit, toast, butter and marmalade from various containers and serving them up in matching Tupperware bowls.
He would pour his coffee from a flask into yet another plastic container, add his sugar from another and then unroll a napkin to display his array of cutlery.
After all that, watching him eat was always a bit of a letdown.
The whole lot would be carefully packed away at the end of his repast; he probably got his secretary to do his washing up when he reached his office.

- Mrs. Stiff.
That's her real name and she did her best to live up to it.
And she managed it heroically while she was awake, sat ramrod-straight and staring unblinkingly at the back of the head of the person in front.
After an hour or so, however, her concentration would inevitably slip, her eyes would close and she would do a passable impersonation of a calving glacier, a slow-motion collapse of her massive bulk, sufficient to start a tsunami were it to happen at sea.
She would end up in a melted heap, mouth agape and drooling horribly, snorting and snuffling and twitching in an amusingly diverting manner.
One just had to hope when the inevitable collapse happened that she would fall away from you and not onto your lap. I've had to wake her innumerable times when several hundredweight of avoirdupois has oozed across the armrest and threatened me with broken ribs and worse.
She was also quite dreadfully warm and clammy to the touch. Icky.

- Monkey Boy.
One of the longest-surviving commuters who only dropped off the grid last Christmas, Monkey Boy was a nice enough chap but was cursed with a head that sat directly upon his torso without any sign of an intervening neck, and he walked with a bow-legged gait and his arms held out to his sides, just like an orang-utan or George W. Bush.
One had to fight the urge to offer him a banana.

There have been many more but I really can't be arsed to dredge them all up; perhaps another time …

Sadly, the modern-day replacements for my old commuting companions are a sorry lot, but I can reassure myself in the knowledge that no more than five percent of them will still be there eighteen months down the line.
Eighteen months seems to be the cut-off point where suicidal despair, physical and mental breakdown or death weed out the true, long-distance commuter from the mere dilettante.
Most of the rest give up between two and five years after starting.
Only true heroes for whom Hell holds no horror have the fortitude, the lazy-assed laissez-faire and the quite breathtaking reserves of patience necessary to become a "lifer".

Lately I have been regularly entertained by a "newbie" on the homeward leg of my journey.
He has yet to be given a name as he's only been there for six months or so, but perhaps you can come up with some suggestions and we'll see if he deserves any of them.

This guy is someone I found sitting in "my" seat one evening at the end of last summer, a big, florid-faced guy in his forties with a quite startling collection of chins that appeared to have spread well beyond the confines of his face and neck.
I smiled and nodded at him and sat in the seat in front.
Just to clarify the "my" seat thing: I like to sit in the middle seat of the carriage facing north on the east side of the train for my return journey … It means I don't get the sun in my eyes and there's a partition directly behind me, not some bastard sitting there, drumming their fingers on my seat or resting their newspaper on the back of my head while I try to sleep.

Anyhoo; the very next day "my" seat is empty and I sit in it, only to find this guy running up the aisle, red-faced and panting and looking on the verge of a massive coronary, asking me politely if I would move as I am sitting in "his" seat.
A conversation ensued, starting somewhat tense and prickly but getting friendly pretty quickly, where the situation was explained to him and it was agreed that he was welcome to the seat on the days I worked from home but if he wanted it any other time he would have to get to it first.

Not many days after that I was walking to my carriage only to see someone running full pelt up the far side of the platform, glancing back at me and trying - amusingly - to hide behind pillars and other people.
Lo and behold, it was our man, desperately and more than a little childishly trying to reach the seat before me.

I continued strolling right past him as he stood, panting alarmingly and stuck fast in the scrummage for the door and got on at the far end of the carriage (where the queue is always much shorter).
When he at last managed to board the train and found me in the seat he made one of those cartoon facial expressions … his jaw hit the floor and his eyes popped out on stalks.
"How did you …?" he gasped, pointing back down the platform in utter confusion.
Hee hee hee, said Old Dive.

And so it has gone on. I manage to beat him nine times out of ten. I may be older but I am fitter and steeped in the ancient and arcane tao of commuting.

Unfortunately I don't think he'll last much longer. I can see him collapsing with a heart attack one of these afternoons, which would be a shame as beating him to "my" seat certainly keeps me fit, and - in my own immature fashion - greatly amused.

One day I too will fall by the wayside, probably suffering a massive coronary as I run up that pesky final escalator after my regular afternoon five mile jog across London from my office in Westminster to the station.
Until that day - and from today onwards - I shall revel in the slightly dubious honour of being the longest-serving "lifer" in my own personal commuter Hell.

33 comments:

Maria said...

Oh..what a GLORIOUS way to start my week. I have taken a few days off to attend a funeral for Bing's auntie and now I am back at work and none too thrilled about not being able to sleep in anymore.

But, this had me in stitches. I sat for a time, wondering how you would have painted me if I had been on that train. "The Woman who Can't Eat A Cookie Without Sharing it with her sweater?"

I felt like I was sitting right next to you, heads together, comparing notes. I loved that, Dive.

dive said...

Maria, you are too, too kind, but I am glad to have been able to cheer you up.

dive said...

What I might also post one day are the stories I like to make up around each character.
Or I might turn them into a surreal novel.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Men. The little things which amuse you......tut. Chasing each other to a seat which belongs to anyone after all. lol.

Most amusing. Thumb sucker was alarmingly, well er, wrong.

I think you should call him Seat Stealer.

Shan said...

That was a great story Dive! I wondered while reading about your fellow travelers, if any of them have done the same about you. What would they notice about you? Your old world reading selections perhaps? Are you super friendly eye contact guy? I would be until someone hit on me then I would become an aloof but slightly paranoid book worm. ;)

There's no way I'd last long enough to be noticed on that commute though. I am a quitter with a capital Q when it comes to inconvenience.

I think it would be fun one day if you started a little sing along and see if you can get any takers. You could call them by their pet names and be like: "Come on Chinsprinter! NINETY NINE bottles of beer on the wall....!"

Vanda said...

Three and a half hours?!! That's crazy. Even Americans don't commute that far.

dive said...

Lynn: Growing old I cannot prevent, but growing UP I shall do my damndest to avoid.
We both derive great amusement from our little game and happily chat away when we've recovered our breath, so I shall regard it as a social activity and fitness regime rather than two little boys in fat old man costumes having a handbag-fight. Hee hee.

Shan: Right from my first week of commuting, back in the Carboniferous era, I wondered what nicknames others might have for me. I daren't ask.

I am decidedly not eye-contact guy. I am friendly and polite and considerate until provoked and then I am large and scary.
As for a singalong, about the only song that might go down well is "We Gotta Get Outta This Place".

I do like "Chinsprinter." Hee hee!

Vanda: I'm practicing for Hell. When I get down there it will seem like Disneyland after my commute.

Katie said...

What a riot of a post! You definitely need to write a book. My favorite character is A Woman Called Horse. Poor sweet dear; I wonder what's become of her. Like Shan I wonder if anyone else has you on their list of "people I see on the train". At least you don't have to do this commute 5 days per week.

Scout said...

Please! You have to write a story using all of these characters—make is something like And Then There Were None with everyone stuck in the same house for a weekend, and leave it with you as the sole survivor taking the train home at the end.

dive said...

Katie: I still see A Woman Called Horse around Norwich from time to time, dressed - as ever - for the gymkhana.
I did the five days a week commute for far more years than was strictly sane. Three days is bad enough; five was a death sentence. At least I got mine commuted.

Robyn: I confess I do write little fictional tales about the imagined lives of these freakish people. Some might appear here one day.

Cynthia said...

Fabulous post! Indeed, a short story could be written about each. I love you and the seat usurper vying to get there first. Sometimes that's all it takes to start the day off right.

If you walk 5 miles from train to office, how far is it from home to train? (sounds like an algebra problem, one of those pesky 'word ones.')

dive said...

Hee hee. Thank you, Cynthia.

My commute consists of a twenty minute drive to the station, a five minute walk to my train, between two and a quarter and eleven hours (depending on how late the crappy thing is) of train journey and a lovely five mile walk across London at daybreak.
Coming home is the same in reverse except I get across London a whole lot quicker (my keep fit regime).

Katherine said...

LOL! Poor "my seat" man. You might feel bad when he DOES croak, though, Dive. In fact, I bet you won't even be able to sit in "his" seat ever again.

BTW, I know you know this, but this is how fiction writers often come up with their best characters!

Anonymous said...

I loved your descriptions Dive. Years ago when I was working full time, some of the women in the statistical section of this "company" (which shall remain nameless) had nicknames for all of the economists so we could talk about them without their knowing. The only one I can remember now is Jowls.

I hope you're always able to outwit the Panter and beat him to your seat.

from cali said...

At least you two didn't end up in a bitch-slapping contest. It's competition fair and square! May the best man win. (What I wouldn't give to witness the two of you as you try to outwit the other!)

Chinsprinter is hilarious, Shan!

dive said...

Katherine: I'm rather hoping he gives up after a few more months so I don't have to keep dashing up those wretched escalators each evening. He looks the sort to pop a ventricle, though.

Whenever I try to weave a tale around the train characters, things start getting a little too weird. Whether it's them or just my imagination I don't know. Hey ho.

Lupine Lady: Jowls? Hee hee. Poor guy! Women getting together at work can be so mean!

Unless I'm delayed getting across the city I can usually beat the Panter most days. The days I enjoy are when we arrive at the station at the same time and catch sight of one another from a distance. Then it's grins all round and a mad sprint through the ticket barriers and all the way up the platform and silly, schoolboy giggling when we collapse into our seats.
Having just completed a five mile dash with some good resistance work on the escalators, that last sprint finish really does do me some good.

Hee hee, Cali! No, we might be immature, but we're not the "handbags at dawn" type.
I think Chinsprinter is the current favourite. It really does suit him.

Anonymous said...

Travelling Sexual Education

savannah said...

I shall regard it as a social activity and fitness regime rather than two little boys in fat old man costumes having a handbag-fight.

I LOVE THIS DESCRIPTION! xoxo absolutely sums it up, sugar. you are a gem, dive-alish, an absolute gem!

neetzy said...

The character descriptions certainly read like a novel. I agree with Cynthia. At the very least you could start with short stories! What fun you could have! You have to play! If you don't I might.

It takes me back to my commuting days eons ago. Now I have a twenty minute drive going away from traffic!

Vanda said...

Do you mean that hell is worse than Dland? You sure?

mark said...

A great narrative Dive. Someday you will own that train. You have paid your dues.

dive said...

Anonymous: my train is without doubt the least sexy place on the planet.

Savannah: I'm old and ugly enough to know just what the two of us look like when we run, giggling up the platform. Hey ho.
xoxox

Neetzy: I would so love a commute like yours! I am green with envy.

Vanda: I'm not sure what Hell is like, but if it exists I'm sure going to find out one day. If it's anything like Dante describes it will be a bit like my college days so that's not too bad.

Mark: I pay over ten grand (sterling) a year to ride on that smegging train so I've bought the sucker many times over.

Anonymous said...

Maybe not"own"the train for Dive,
but,certainly,there w'll be a commemorative plate at"HIS"seat!!!
which w'll not have to be anymore
took up!!!

Anonymous said...

Heh. No one sits in Dive's seat. You poor thing. I'm sorry you're the lifer of the group.

Mrs. Stiff. Love it.

savannah said...

i HOPE you're at home today, sugar! watching the news from london re the g20 lockdown! xoxoxox

dive said...

Anonymous: never mind a commemorative plate, I'd just be grateful if they actually CLEANED my seat occasionally! The trains are filthy!

Sassy: Mrs. Stiff is her real name. She lays her season ticket and ID card out in front of her so the conductor can read it without waking her up and I couldn't help but giggle when I saw her name.

Savannah: The demos and all the fun and games at G20 wouldn't really affect me if I were in London. We get that sort of thing about once a fortnight and as the demonstrators have to get in to London and then get home again, they never disrupt the trains.
xoxoxox

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Stay ungrowedup, Dive. It's very touching x

MmeBenaut said...

Just as well Mrs. Stiff is female :) otherwise I would be cracking up too.

Brilliantly, amusingly, wittily (is that a word?) written Dive dear. We just need a plot and an ending and the surreal novel (short story at least) is already written. Bravo!

dive said...

It's the only way to be, Lynn.

Mme: You are so kind. I may well weave some of those characters into a story some day.

Lulubelle B said...

At least you get a seat. I commuted to New York for 4 years, standing morning and evening. I still remember Mr Comb-Over and Mascara Lady.

Considering your 10 mile dash across London and your sprint to the train, perhaps your name is Stinky ;^D

(from Amtrak, just leaving Philadelphia 30th Street Station...)

Eric said...

Hi Dive, just started reading your blog (found by way of Maria's) and wanted to say that I'm enjoying it a lot.
Here at the cafe we have nicknames for some of the regulars: Two-Slice-Two-Coke Old Couple, not to be confused with 12"-Roni-Two-Coke Old Couple, The Anchovy Walruses, LBG (Little Black Dress), Creepy Mailman, EYMWB (Earnest Young Man with Beard), and my favorite, Hottie Air Force Wife.

dive said...

Lulu: Stinky is right! I need a shower and a change of clothes when I get to work and another one when I get home. My ironing pile at the weekeknds is horrific!

Hi, Eric/ Welcome!
The Anchovy Walruses just cracked me up. That would make a great name for a band.
And I so want to meet Hottie Air Force Wife!

Eric said...

LBD, not LBG...WTF?