Saturday, October 20, 2012

Saturday Statuary - Bonkers cannon


11 comments:

Speedway said...

Somebody's had a leetle too much fish paste. The beastie's paws look like he's recoiling from a shot. And those three feathers, aren't they for Chester Chizzletwit, or whatever his name is?

dive said...

The feathers are indeed the symbol of Brian, our jug-eared buffoon of a king-in-waiting, though I've no idea what they're doing there.
This weirdo relic of the Opium Wars stands at the back of the Scottish Office and faces Horseguards' Parade, protecting Whitehall from Olympic beach-volleyball players.
Or something …
Such is our country.

Vanda said...

You know it's sorta pretty, in a a slightly cartoonish way. Can you take pictures from other angles too? I'd love to get a better look at him.

dive said...

Vanda, next time I'm passing I'll see if I can get it to pose for me.

Katherine said...

I was thinking it rather resembles me with PMS and an easily accessible feminine product poised on my head.

Speedway said...

Hahaha! A tampon cannon!

Kate said...

I think it's cool. Bummer that is has a little fence around it - I would be tempted to stick my arm in its mouth or something.

Petrea Burchard said...

This is where anime got its start.

dive said...

Hahahahaha. Nice one, Katherine.

Speedway, I'll never look at a cannon the same way again.

Kate, I think the fence is there as a visual warning to the horses; this being Horseguards' Parade, it's where they do their massed exercises and manœuvres.

You cold be right, Petrea; an eighteenth century Transformer, perhaps?

Ms M said...

I love these unusual bits you post here! Our public art around here is quite tame by comparison. This reminds me of a headache coming on. Poor beastie.

dive said...

Hahahaha. Thank you, Ms.M. It shall henceforth be known as the headache dragon.