Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cityshapes - Guns And Gherkin

Many are the strange and wonderful shapes of modern London. I wonder what those two are saying as they gaze out from the deck of HMS Belfast toward the Gherkin, over the Vegas meets the Addams Family roofscape of Munster Court.
A caption, a story or a comment; what are your thoughts?

8 comments:

Alifan said...

Goodness now that is a good shot, bit early for me to think of a comment, but so looking forward to them all from your clever folk on here.

Maybe you should do a book on unusual photos?

Vanda said...

Hand over the money, or the Pickle gets it!

Vanda said...

You know with this cropping, the Gherkin looks a lot like the tipple of a missile. Or alien space ship.

dive said...

Mum, the whole blog is a book on unusual photographs.

Hee hee, Vanda.
As for the alien spaceship: the whole of London feels like that most days.

Speedway said...

If you'r not careful, you could put your eye out with that thing. Even the Gherkin.

Petrea Burchard said...

This is a fascinating photo.

Apparently London doesn't have a City Planner. I don't know if that's good or bad. I kind of like the mish-mash, running the gamut from horrible to gorgeous.

Ms M said...

Strange grouping, fascinating photo! It reminds me of a scene out of a 1950s-era sci-fi film. Perhaps they are waiting for the Great Gherkin to open, or take off. Perhaps they are waiting, armed, for a hoard of giant ants -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them!

dive said...

I'm never careful, Speedway.

Petrea, London has very strict planning laws, but they are enforced by people who like to take bribes.
Much as I love Paris, it is a little like a specimen in a bell jar: unchanging and beautiful but a little lifeless; London, on the other hand, has spent the past thousand years continually eating itself and the results may sometimes startle or offend but they are usually worth looking at.

Good call, Ms.M. I have a great love of old Sci-Fi disaster movies.

To me, the photo looks more like a collage; something an art student might produce with no clear idea why.