Mike and I were talking food (as we so often do) the other day and he is feeling the health benefits of having stopped eating crisps (that's "potato chips" if you can't speak English) last summer and having replaced them with those yummy crispy seaweed snacks you get in Japanese stores.
I am a sucker for those things too but these days I find it much easier and cheaper to make them myself.
So here - if any of you are remotely interested in replacing some of the salt and fat in your diets with something healthy - is Old Dive's Sesame Seaweed Snacks recipe.
First up:Ingredients: (all organic) …
Sesame seeds. Easy peasy.
Toasted sesame oil.
Soy sauce.
Mirin.
Wakame (fresh or dried; whatever).
I usually use big strands of wakame in my miso soup. I cut them to fit the bowl while I'm making it. But for this it is a lot less hassle to buy a bag of the dried wakame that's already cut up small (which is how you usually find it in the supermarkets … I have to go to Japanese shops to find the big stuff). This recipe is all about spending the minimum amount of time prepping and cooking and the maximum time enjoying.
If you don't have wakame or mirin (c'mon! Even bloody Sainsbury's sells it now), you can use spinach and sugar. The result is pleasant enough (it's how they make that alleged "crispy seaweed" you find in Chinese restaurants) but nowhere near as yummy and healthy as this!
Step one: Grab a handful of wakame out of the bag and soak it in cool water. Give it around fifteen minutes but it matters not one jot if you forget about it and come back and find it hours later.This is a dish I like to make when I am working around the house, doing chores. There is such a miniscule amount of time actually spent in the kitchen that you can make this stuff almost without noticing you're doing it.
Step two: Dry fry your sesame seeds.The amounts I am using here will give a couple of bowls worth (like the photo at the bottom of the post only twice as much) which is enough for party dips for half a dozen people or snacks for me for a week.
The total cost of ingredients used for a whole week's worth of yummy snack Heaven is around twenty pence.
Add to that the gas used in having the hob on for a couple of minutes and the oven on the very lowest plate-warming setting for twenty minutes or so and we're talking cheap food for the recession.
Toast your sesame seeds until they are beginning to turn nut brown like in the picture. It doesn't take many seconds.
Next up: take the wakame out of the water and strain it. Then what I usually do is pick up a fistful and squeeze as much of the water out of it as I can, just to cut down on drying time in the oven. We want this stuff crispy and we want it now!Right! On to the minute or so you shall actually spend cooking this dish.
Heat up the wok and add no more than a teeny teaspoon of toasted sesame oil and woosh it about so it coats the bottom of the wok.
Add the toasted sesame seeds and the wakame and toss 'em about to mix things up a bit. When they're good and hot add a few drops of soy sauce and some good shakes of mirin (the mirin adds sweetness so Joy would want to add about a gallon while I use around a teaspoonful).Shake things around until any liquid is soaked up (probably three seconds) and we're on to the next step.
With your oven on its very lowest setting, arrange the stuff on a baking tray (I use non-stick foil as I can just shake 'em straight off into bags for lunch).Now go away and do whatever else you want. The wok will just need a wipe around as all the liquid has been absorbed by the wakame and it's just about clean anyway.
Come back and poke the stuff from time to time.
When it's good and crispy it's done.
This photo is crap.The snacks are actually a lovely shade of dark green and are dry and crisp, not black and glistening and sinister like the flash makes 'em out to be. Hey ho.
It might look kinda icky but it is totally delicious, intensely flavoured, crispy, more-ish and mind-buggeringly healthy.
It also costs around £2.40 a portion in the shops (called "Izumiya Seika") and in addition to the ingredients I use they add "starch syrup, sugar, salt, MSG and trehalose", whatever the fuck that is, so with my home-made version you're not sucking down all that shit.
My version looks, feels and tastes exactly the same but is much healthier and costs a tiny fraction of the shop price. We're in a recession, people.
Next time you're doing the housework, make a week's worth of healthy snacks for a few pence while you're at it. They're also ideal for making while you're blogging. I made another batch while I was writing this and I am about to bag 'em up for snacks to eat at work this week.
WARNING: These are totally addictive!
33 comments:
I'm sure this tastes pretty good Dive....but um, no offense, it looks gross!
The photo doesn't do it any favours, Katherine. It is actually a lovely shade of dark green and is utterly scrummy.
I do like it, but wouldn't need to replace crisps as I don't eat them anyway!
Good girl.
ok, but, no thank you! ;) xoxoxox
Hee hee.
xoxoxox
Oh but they are really tasty!!!!!
Hoorah for the voice of experience!
Thanks, mum.
Good girl huh? ;) Giggle...
You've known me long enough to know I'm nothing if not patronising, Lynn.
Oh you take such delight in vexing us with obscure ingredients (mirin? wakame?). What a satisfactory description of your Sesame Seaweed Snacks! It appears that the cooking altogether passed off pleasantly. I don't have time to do housework, and I doubt I'd have time to make these, so I hope an invitation to dine on these snacks with you in Longboure will soon be dispatched.
Ok, so I have no time to cook because, like Lynn, I'm rereading Pride and Prejudice. That Jane Austen is fucking brilliant!
Hi, Katie!
Mirin is a sweet and slightly alcoholic aromatic fermented liquid that adds the fragrance to good sushi rice and goes perfectly with seaweed.
Wakame is the lovely soft, silky seaweed you find in your bowl of miso soup.
Now that we've met and eaten sushi together I am more than happy to invite you over for snacks any time!
Oh, hee hee hee! If Lynn thinks I am incorrigible what will she think of YOU now! I take it you have the unexpurgated Pride and Prejudice (Lynn I think has the bowdlerised and prudish later Victorian version) with the original line:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a fuck."
Oh, my …
Dive, stoppit! :)
Katie oh yes the invitation to Longbourne has gone to so few recipients I think. We may feel very fortunate indeed. I must at once see that my new leg of mutton sleeves are fitted to my gown. LOL.
By the way, I did not feel patronised kind Sir. To the contrary; I felt my cheeks flush and my eyes lower a little at your impudent address and...not lacking a little pleasure, I'll have you know.
The black photo does look icky, but I'll take your word that it's really green and yummy. This sounds great, Dive.
Lynn: That Austen bird has a lot to answer for! Quite apart from all the swearing, fighting, drinking and rampant sex in her books (before the prudish Victorians censored them).
Robyn: Take mum's word that they are yummy.
Hi Dear Dive
Great to hear from you and I have been here catching up with your wonderful posts. Will still pop in to visit when i can as I find you "very addictive" too !!!!
I am such a crisp (love that term - we say chips - so less romantic) girl. But here in PNG we don't get any good ones as they are imported from Asia and I'm sorry to say Asian chips are not real good!!! Aussi chips are just the best!!!!
Can't get wakame either but next visit to Aussi I will definitely get some!!!
Lynn I do feel very honoured indeed to be invited to Longbourne! You finish sewing the leg of mutton sleeves into your gown, and I'll try to find time to sew an elegant dress with lace and we'll order up the carriage. I hope we can can act like fine ladies, not deficient in good humour and be agreeable. Please try to keep your cheeks from flushing when addressed impudently though, as we might not get invited back!
Giggle Katie I shall endeavour... oh yes we can be very ladylike. It will be a wonderful diversion! Giggle again coquettishly.
Dive: Scrumptious snacks!
Katie/Lynn: If I were invited to Longbourne, I would arrive drunk and leave early, preferably in the company of a Byronic ne'er-do-well and his bottomless purse, which I'd then happily unburden him of in the course of what I'm sure would be a long and lady-full night of wild, expletive-peppered carousing.
No, not really.
My daughter is googling recipes for goodies to put in her new Bento box. We bought a few gadgets like egg slicers and molds, but unfortunately cannot read the instructions! We botched our hardboiled egg!
My kids would probably love this, I'm not sure if I can find all the ingredients out here in the wilderness.
Looks quite interesting. Im willing to give them a taste. I think Im going to like it. You are never boring Dive.
Lucio it sounds like "you would drink a great deal more than you ought, and if I were to see you at it I should take away your bottle directly." (Thanks Jane!)
However Lynn don't you think Lucio would make an amusing personage at the ball? We would endeavour to be oh so ladylike while watching such horrid manners, but we would definitely giggle into our sleeves and be so amused by THAT diversion that we wouldn't notice Darcy being haughty, reserved and fastidious.
Gee, Dive, that recipe sounds rather interesting and easy to make. Might try it when I rustle up the ingredients. Howabout mine own spinach from the garden instead of that other green stuff? would that work, ya think?
Oh, shan't I be invited to the ball at Longbourne? I shall show only so much cleavage as is fashionable and will speak only with proper gentlemen. Unless, of course, I can be considered charitable when sharing obscenities with incorrigibles such as Lucio and Dive.
Yay, Jules!
I am so going to miss my daily doses of Paradise from Rabaul Daily Photo. I hope they get some decent broadband sorted out there soon so you can start posting again.
In the meantime, you know you are more than welcome here.
Katie and Lynn …
Well, well. What AM I going to do with the two of you (suggestions on a postcard, please)?
I confess I would enjoy watching Lucio work his charms on Darcy before whisking him away to en evening of wallet-emptying debauchery.
As for myself: I have not ripped a bodice for a while so I shall stand here by the mantel and watch the girls giggle into their sleeves before attempting to lure one away to her doom.
Lucio: You were born in the wrong age.
Hi, Neetzy. I love the thought of you botching a hardboiled egg. Hee hee. There are lots of websites obsessively detailing bento box food. I'm sure you can find some hints and tips (or you can send your daughter to find some hints and tips).
Mark: I think "quite interesting" should really read "icky-looking but delicious."
And I am always boring. I have made it my life's work.
Katie: Please don't spoil poor Lucio's fun. He deserves a night of drunken revelry and debauched weemen.
Hi, Cynthia. Yes, it is so simple to make and much tastier than it looks.
Of course you can use your yummy spinach. It goes perfectly with sesame; in fact the version of this that you get in Chinese restaurants (so-called "crispy seaweed") is made from spinach.
Petrea: Oh, no! She's got to you, too! That Austen woman has corrupted the delightful ladies of Blogville. Little wonder that we menfolk become incorrigible!
Once I procrastinated (in college mind you) SO much, I ate through a whole 3 Litre bucket of seaweed snacks in an hour.
I don’t care what the picture looks like dive; I’m going to make some anyway.
=D
Hi, Dot! I hope you cleaned up after procrastinating; it can stain dreadfully.
I am so glad you are a connoisseur of these wonderful things. Eat and enjoy!
Hey, send me some please! I won't use a gallon of mirin as I'm not a fan. I'd use sugar instead :D But seriously, send me a couple of packs as I am hungry right now actually.
Hee hee, Joy. You can sprinkle sugar over it before you tuck in.
Delicious! When you strain that seaweed, you should put the water on your garden, it's fantastic food for plants too.
I did enjoy this; the making of and the final product and all the risque comments too. I am sorry I missed all the fun!
Oooh! That's an excellent idea, Mme!
I make such a lot of things with various seaweeds that my plants are going to love you!
I admit it sounds good...but it also sounds like um...work. And anything involving stirring dry ingredients sort of scares the hell out of me.
There was once a fire...
That's all I'm sayin' about that.
Post a Comment