Friday, January 30, 2009

Fuck Death; Let's Play Guitar

So farewell then John Martyn.

From leading light of the seventies folk revival to grizzled, wheelchair-bound monopod, one of our finest songwriters and most chaotic and drunken performers has died, aged just sixty.



Here, as inadequate tribute is a version of his song "Bless The Weather" I played when I guested with the Dave Thomas Band (for any fans of Old Dive's guitar playing, most of the guitar here is Dave Thomas but I do have a couple of solos - you'll know it's me because I'm a noisy bastard - starting at around three minutes in and at around nine minutes in … Dave does tend to go on a bit).

For any Colonials who may not have heard of the man, I've included three songs from throughout his career.
"Songs of misery and romance" as he calls them.
Beautiful and heartfelt.
Should you have the time or the inclination please play these.
They encapsulate so much of what was special about him (and his long term collaborator and drinking buddy, Danny Thompson); the last clip (especially his expression right at the end) shows just why I loved him.

Many of us will miss him an awful lot.





17 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

RIP. Ah, the Old Grey Whistle Test, the memories,....
Great music Dive.

dive said...

He's sorely missed, Lynn. He was a real "musician's musician" and most people know his songs from other people singing them.
Yes, the OGWT was so much better than what passes for live rock on TV now. Jools Holland: watch and take notes.

Scout said...

First, your solos aren't noisy.

Second, John Martyn is new to me on this side of the ocean, but that clip of his interview was impressive. I'll admit I couldn't understand everything he said, but I certainly understood his singing. Beautiful.

dive said...

Nobody can ever understand a drunken Scottish accent, Robyn (he was English but spent a lot of his childhood in Scotland).
You've probably heard a lot of his music but sung by other people; he was an excellent songwriter.
I just love that little twinkly expression after the tears at the end of the last clip. It is so him.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I enjoy Jools, Dive, very much, though I do think some of the acts get on there for quirk points alone?

The author has turned up at mine Dive with book cover explanation.

dive said...

I'd love to come and join you, Prudence. I just knew that you'd be a fan as you have such immaculate musical taste.
Let's raise a glass to him together (he'd appreciate that).

Lynn: I've not watched it for years now; I just look at the line-ups and think "No, thank you".

The author looks like a nice guy. Of course he has no real control over the cover so I won't blame him at all for the awful font abuse, the dreadful Chelsea Tractor photo, the ugly face and the clip art. Whoever designs their covers would make a good dustman.

Shan said...

Very nice music from both of you. I was wondering what kind of accent he had because it didn't seem like it was completely British. I was shaking my head like my ears couldn't keep up when he was talking on that last video. Like Robyn, I couldn't quite catch everything he said. It's funny that you mentioned that look on his face after he wiped his tears. When I saw that he totally reminded me of Jamey's dad who can get caught up in things like that as well. :)

Sorry you lost him Dive. He was definitely too young.

dive said...

Thank you, Shan.
John's accent was a mix of English and Glaswegian. And yes, I love that bit on the last clip where his sparkly smile and twinkling eyes glitter after giving away so much emotion.
He was WAY too young to die, but we've been expecting it for years.
A lovely man who has left us some beautiful songs.

savannah said...

rest in peace, sweet man.

thank you, sugar, for the reminder. xoxoxo

dive said...

He was indeed a sweet man, Savannah, and a great and hugely funny raconteur, especially during his later concerts after he'd had a leg removed and would wheel himself on to stage and talk as much as play.
I'll miss him.
xoxoxo

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I thought you'd say all that to him over there!

he he. No I don't think he had much say but I think it's ok.

Katie said...

Like Scout I'd never heard of John Martyn (and could hardly understand him either), but I very much enjoyed the clips. I'll have to look and see if netflix has the BBC feature "Johnny Too Bad". I like the version that you did too (and I don't hear your "noisy" solos either). It really looks (and sounds) like he put everything into his music; I can see why you liked him and will miss him. 60 is way too young.

dive said...

Lynn: I didn't want to upset the guy. The book sounds great but whoever did his cover art needs to get another career.

Thanks, Katie. I'm not surprised you've not heard of him; most people over here haven't either. Musicians, on the other hand, all know and love him. He was tremendously well respected - revered, even - and a lovely man both on and off stage.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Most considerate Dive.

dive said...

I am nothing if not considerate, Lynn.

Er … hang on; that's a lie, isn't it?

Istvanski said...

Did we have to have another death so soon after Davey Graham?

neetzy said...

Thank you once again. I never heard of Mr. Martyn. What a sorry loss. Was he diabetic by chance?

I did recognize the interviewer, Phil Cunningham. I saw him, his brother Johnny (also deceased) and Silly Wizard in Philadelphia twenty-something years ago. I know that had to be the same guy.