Monday, January 05, 2009

More Boring Bricks

Fancy a quick wander?

Come on, then. Now that we've finished poking around The Great Hospital we shall venture just across the road to see some of the yummy old houses between the hospital and the Cathedral.

There are many more (and sunnier) photos of beautiful old Norwich buildings to be seen in this post and in this one but these are from last week when I was on my way to meet Mikey.

Contrasting styles.
Two fifteenth century houses and an early nineteenth century one.
The pink house has had a bizarre, seventeenth century front wall added and the middle one has had the original windows replaced with sashes on the upper floors.

Most houses of this period or earlier have been bashed about so much over the centuries that little of them is left.
Check this one out, however, for the real deal!
Dragon Hall Post 1
Dragon Hall Post 2

This is much earlier. The back end of The Deanery by the west door of the Cathedral. I am always torn between thinking this would be a fantastic place to live (especially as when I used to walk past it on my way in to my old office I could hear the Cathedral Choir rehearsing in the Choir School just across the way) or a total nightmare, as every quarter of an hour the bells from the Cathedral go apeshit, so perhaps I'll move here when I go deaf.

The Deanery from the garden side. Again with windows added in just about every century to make a charming mess.

Most of the houses around the Cathedral and The Great Hospital look like this. To say I want them all is an understatement.

Here is one of my favourites.
People actually live in these places. I want to kill them and steal their homes. Is that so wrong?
Don't answer that.

Some early Georgian houses from another part of Cathedral Close.
This one would make an ideal setting for Katie, Lynn, Petrea and Lucio to indulge in their Austenesqueries (yay! Another neologism for the Small Glass Planet)!
Kindly pass that sheep's-gut condom, Mister Darcy; I feel somewhat frisky!

I have always lusted after this house. The front of this one dates from the year before the pilgrim fathers set sail for the colonies (there's a date plaque) though it would have originally had leaded casement windows; these are late seventeenth century replacements.
The bulk of the house, however, is fourteenth century.

All of these houses are owned by the Cathedral and when I was working in Norwich my mate Gerry was surveyor for the Close and I managed to sneak inside several of these places with him and had a good rummage around in roofs and basements, dating the timbers and construction methods. I love stuff like that.

A trio of Elizabethan cottages belonging to The Great Hospital with later brick walls set in front of the original timber framing and sixteenth century Dutch gables added.
Quaint and beautiful in a vernacular fashion.
Again, this would have originally been timber framed with oak mullioned windows, then when the brick was added the windows would have been leaded casements. These are early Victorian windows, from the start of plate glass production when windows were no longer hand-blown glass and larger panes became possible.

This was originally the monks' brewhouse from the Cathedral monastery and the lower parts of it date back to the 1080s. Now one of my favourite houses in The Close.
It is the first house on Hook's Walk, leading down to The Great Hospital. The cream house beyond it is a fourteenth century timber framed house with fifteenth century additions and the original great hall inside.

We shall finish today's picturesque perambulation with another part of Hook's Walk.
The path turns left at the pink house (a nunnery) and if you follow it round you see those lovely Dutch gabled cottages and The Great Hospital in front of you.

In the spring, when the weather is warmer and sunnier I shall do more posts of Old Norwich.
If you find them boring, tough titty. I love old buildings, so there.

41 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

So do I. This post suits me down to the hem of my skirt. I could indeed wander gracefully around that space with my dear friend Katie in our newly-fashioned garments. Your choice of dialogue, though Sir, is somewhat...base for our delicate tastes. We might exchange enquiries about the good health of our respective families with any gentleman by-passing, but nothing more than that. It would not be seemly.
I adore the pink house. Can I have it please? It has Lynn written all over it.

Joy said...

I don't think I'd resort to killing the owners of the houses, but perhaps stash them away somewhere while I enjoy the beauty of their homes. I love going round the Close - that's where all the beautiful houses are. Back in dreary Norwich - and a snowy Monday morning to boot!

Alifan said...

Oh what a great load of photo's .. those buildings are so lovely..I was back walking through there with you having my usual history lesson....

And now I can picture Lynn and Katie in their long flowing dresses on the arm of Mr Darcy!!

dive said...

Lynn: the houses in The Close are owned by the Cathedral and one can only rent them.
You can put your name down, but the conditions are strict and the worst part is that the waiting list is hundreds of years long. You really do have to plan dynastically to enable your distant descendants to live there.

Hi, Joy! Welcome back to sunny, warm, tropical England! What an awful shock after Manila. Poor you.
Well at least we can walk through The Close and admire the huge houses without having to do all the housework.

Mum, please don't encourage them!

Volmon said...

Almost as pretty as your guitars, Dive.

Thanks for the tour!

savannah said...

has the pink house always been pink, sugar? we have a pink house here that was built in the 1700's, but it's pink only because the brick bled through the whitewash. great tour! xoxoxo

dive said...

Cheers, Lucio!

Savannah: a lot really old houses (pre-Columbus) over here were limewashed and rendered to protect the timber framing from the elements and all of those were painted; some in totally bizarre colours. The pinks and blues you see around Norfolk are all carefully researched and approved by English Heritage. You cannot paint a house in an unauthentic colour or the Planners will fine you and make you repaint it.
Good thing, too!
xoxoxo

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Well I'd like to put my name down then. I can't think of a good reason not to.

Alifan, do join on at once! We have now Mr. Bingley with us so there are men's arms to spare! We are about to take a turn of the room of the pink house. Do accompany us. LOL. That always makes me giggle, the way they would 'take a turn of the room'. Regardless of how large or small it was, they'd wander around it. Like a mini-walk. How quaint. Talking all the time in soto voce pretending that no-one can hear. Hilarious, really. I still love it though.

dive said...

Weemen …
I'll never understand 'em.

Shan said...

I for one, would love to learn how to "plan dynastically". That would truly be a lofty goal for next millennium! I can't believe all of these buildings! I thought the hospital was an extravaganza by itself! Boy, the money that must go into keeping these places up! I am glad they are-so gorgeous.

I didn't mean to sound so pitiful in my post Dive but thank you for your sweet words. I had some shocking news at Christmas that sent it all down on a flaming ship. But I am better now :).

I thought you Crane bros. looked a bit on the slim side in your music post. Then I realized you'd been snacking on seaweed so it made sense. heehee

dive said...

Shan: the amount of money needed to keep these things in good condition is scary, but not as scary as what might happen to them if they fell into private hands. That's too awful to contemplate.

So sorry to hear about your bad news, especially coming at Christmas, but I know you and Jamey and the boys are strong and your love and faith can get you over any obstacle.

Ah! You remembered the Crane Brothers! Hee hee. I am still chubbier than I want to be but Phil has lost a decent amount of weight.
Neither of us diet but a combination of healthy food (lots of it), exercise (lots of that, too) and home gyms helps a lot.

Anna said...

That's it.

I was born on the wrong side of the Atlantic.I've only been to England once, and I'm itching to get back.

MmeBenaut said...

These houses are beautiful Dive dear. Thank you so much for taking us on a tour and it seems that since we all appreciate your wonderful photos and architectural and historical, not to mention neologisms, we'll be waiting with bated breath until the spring to see more! Poor Mr Darcy - sheep's gut condoms?

dive said...

Arial: We would be honoured to have you back.

Mme: Thank you for coming along on our little walk.
I'm afraid it was a piece of sheep's gut tied with ribbon for Mr. Darcy. Still, at least the ribbon would have made it look prettier than what we have to cope with these days.

savannah said...

same thing happens here in the historic district, sugar. and yes, i agree! it's a very good thing! xoxox

dive said...

I'm glad to hear it, Savannah. So much of your heritage has been paved over.
xoxox

Cynthia said...

All that history is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the tour, and yes, that Georgian house is so beautiful! I certainly will put Norwich on my list of places to visit if I ever get to England.

dive said...

Thank you, Cynthia. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Ooooh! If you do come to England you're not getting away without me pestering you! Hee hee.

Katherine said...

Dive, do you live within walking distance of all this historic beauty?

What an amazing place! Brick is lovely and endures through much more than some of us ever could.

Thank you for the tour.

P.S. I think it's natural to want to supplant owners of some homes because you want their stuff. Then again, it's probably just as natural to want to rid the earth of some people anyway....not that we should ever do it, of course.

Maria said...

If only walls could talk....

neetzy said...

I wish I could wander around those wonderful old buildings! And what with the Gothic cathedral looming in the background.

Some day, Shazza and I will have to come visit!

Katie said...

Lynn I can so see us pulling up to one of those houses of Cathedral Close in a fine carriage in our fancy garments! This is the perfect post to go along with my re-reading of Pride & Prejudice.

Dive as much as I like the house at the back end of the Deanery, especially the Secret Garden in back, I agree that having to listen to church bells all day would drive a Heathen insane. And please don't kill anyone for their house; I don't fancy having to read Small Glass Prison Cell.

Alifan said...

I dare not carry on Lynn!!! I may get lynched..... but will tighten my corset and play along in private...!!!!

I think Dive makes a grand job of telling you all the nice things about Norwich he knows all the best places....and the worst...and I am lucky to have a personal history lesson everytime we go!!!!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Marvellous isn't he, Alifan.
We are liberated, dear Alifan. We shall pull in our corsets with indignation, apply a little rouge even, hoist our skirts and step out in the snow for a 'turn'. On our own, even. Sharp intake of breath; SUCH diversion!

Nathalie H.D. said...

Ahem, well if the house(s) you want belong to the Cathedral we need to devise a master plan to get rid of the century-long waiting list, because you don't seem to be faring well on founding a dynasty. Plus you need the house NOW or SOON.
I suggest you start a consultation with your readers on how to get rid of both the current tennants and the waiting list. I'm sure we can come up with some pretty creative ideas.

dive said...

Katherine: I live in a little village about twenty minutes drive away. So glad you enjoyed my little walk.

Maria: These ones would probably be even more boring and crotchety than elderly humans.

Neetzy: we are very touchy about our Cathedral. Even though most of the later work is Gothic, the main structure is proudly Romanesque (check out the links in the text for some massive and very un-Gothic masonry).
What pedantry, eh? Hee hee.
I would LOVE you and Shazza to visit! Woohoo!

Small Glass Prison Cell. Hee hee, Katie. Okay, so maybe I won't kill them.
A word of warning about your carriage. Most of the streets around there are cobbled so bring a cushion or your bottom will get bruised!

Mum: I am going to have to make this an Austen Free Zone.

Lynn: The same goes for you, too! Dickens, yes; Austen, no.

Nathalie: I like the way you think. What a splendid idea.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Oh but this is positively alarming news! Most unsettling, indeed. Where are my smelling salts? It is of some convenience, then, that we have an invitation to visit the new manor house oh yes ladies! Let us depart at once for our tour, the carriage awaits. Katie, Alifan and other Austen readers are welcome to decamp to my abode any time! We shall of course return as usual dear Dive, since methinks your objections are somewhat overstated.
Who is Dickens?

LOL I adore Dickens too, I'm only kidding. Just finished Little Dorritt again. Until the morrow, Mr. Dive.

Ladies?.... Exeunt.

dive said...

I assume you watched the BBC's Little Dorrit, Lynn?
I'm afraid that after their desecration of Bleak House I gave it a miss and shall steer well clear of their "adaptations" in the future.
Had they called their series "A soap opera based loosely on some of the characters and about a third of the plot of Bleak house, but with a wildly different and disgracefully 'modern' ending" it might have been more honest.
Shame on them.

Anonymous said...

I love great old houses too. Nice post, fabulous photos.

dive said...

Cheers, Mark!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Oh yes indeed, I watch all those dramas which come my way. I enjoyed Little Dorritt very much but accept wholeheartedly that it is an adaptation and therefore was not too disconcerted. I do agree that there is a lot of artistic licence and, out of choice, I would prefer the original to be absolutely accurate, warts and all. I still enjoy them standing on their own though.

Dive I have a random Q for you. Been meaning to ask for some time. What is the correct pronunciation of Norwich? I mean, or how do YOU pronounce it, having lived there forever? I notice lots of people, including my own parents and David Dimbleby say Norridge. Whereas I have always and do say Norrich. Thanks!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

That's meant to say prefer the original AND to be accurate! Obviously the original is accurate lol.

Scout said...

Boring?! No, this stuff is fascinating. That house you especially lust after is absolutely beautiful.

dive said...

It's Norrich, Lynn, although the actual aboriginal natives (of which I am not a member) pronounce it as a long, drawn-out "Naaaaarutch".

dive said...

I'm glad you corrected that one, Lynn; it is the Beeb's "adaptations" which have the warts.

Robyn: I only lust after beautiful things.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

These are some great pics,dive. I love the architecture there. I really think I would enjoy a visit.

dive said...

Rich. If you ever get across the pond I would be delighted to show you around.

Petrea Burchard said...

Dive, I'm beginning to think you and I were separated at birth. Not only do I love this stuff (I've wasted way too much time nosing around here today), but "tough titty" is one of my favorite expressions from back in the day.

dive said...

Hi, Petrea.
From what Katie told me about you (yes, of course we spent a lot of our time together gossiping about blogpals) I had a feeling you would be a kindred spirit.
Time spent nosing around old buildings is never wasted.

Petrea Burchard said...

Old bricks are rarely boring.

Sorry about your long commute. Thanks be to the writing gods for books.

dive said...

Ooooh, Writing Gods!
At last, a deity worth worshipping!