Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Musings From The Naughty-Cupboard

Well, I'm still locked in this fucking cupboard.
He says he'll let me out when I show some sign of sanity.
Sheesh!
At least he left me the laptop and a stack of movies, though it's getting pretty unpleasant in here what with the constant fights with Stouffer over who gets to use the litter tray.

And talking of catshit, my comment box seems to be full of weiners.

Katie writes (rather scarily):
"I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Weiner
That is what I truly wish to be
cause if i were a Oscar Mayer Weiner
everyone would be in love
oh everyone would be in love
everyone would be in love with me"

And Maria:
"Oscar Meyer has a way with B O L O G N A."

I have spent fifty years blissfully unaware of the existence of Oscar Meyer weiners - or indeed any other brand - but now you've gone and spoiled that and introduced me to a new horror of US "cuisine" to add to the supersized burger, "freedom" fries, alleged pizza with macaroni cheese on top and greasy bits of deep-fried gristle served up in a bucket.
Now I have to add to that list of shame classic Italian dishes with the meat replaced by pink plastic hot-dog "sausages"?
Holy crap!

This from a country that - since 1492 - has to date signally failed to produce a single edible cheese.
Shit! The stuff comes in spray cans over there … or in thin, shitty-smelling sheets of sweaty rubber that look, feel and taste almost exactly unlike cheese of any description … except perhaps knob-cheese.

We had a flirtation with US "cuisine" over here when I was a kid in the sixties.
We poor urchins, dressed in rags and scratching for turnips amidst the bombed-out cities of post-war austerity Britain, assumed that as you Colonials all appeared to be filthy rich and to drive flying cars (or at least cars shaped like "weiners" as this lovely photo from Lulu shows) and live in Disney castles that you must have been doing something right and that maybe it was your diet …
Er …
Okay, so now we know that a diet based on saturated fat, sugar, salt and chemical additives produces a nation of grossly obese, hyper-aggressive morons (present company excepted, of course) with the attention span of a bored gnat, but back then we thought you were really on to something.

The result was truly dreadful, a "food" product the memory of which still produces creeping horrors in my scarred soul:
"Heinz Baked Beans With Pork Sausages".
A can of orange goo with some stale borlotti beans floating in it in amongst some weird, squishy, pink, poo-like tubes of mystery "meat" of a consistency to suggest that maybe you guys farmed earthworms.
"Weiners".

When I was a nipper these were the very pinnacle of "luxury international cuisine".
Together with SPAM®, of course.
Fortunately for us those things were indeed "luxury" items and for special occasions only, so the chemical damage to my child's body was limited.

So anyhoo: back to the weiners.

I checked on YouTube and it appears that I must now add the word "weiner" to "risotto" and "basil" and all the other words our errant Colonials have yet to learn how to pronounce correctly.
It's as if you guys look at a written word and take a wild, flying guess as to its pronunciation without bothering to consult an actual alphabet or indeed any form of language, let alone the language whence the word originated.
"Weiner" - for your information - has the soft German "V" at the start and is not pronounced "whiner" or even "weener", at least not in any civilised part of the world.

Of course, being an Englishman it is my natural genetic birthright to blame absolutely everything on the Irish and this case is no exception.

Back in the good old days of the potato famine, millions of starving, illiterate and uneducated Irish peasants washed up on the shores of Noo Yoik City, their brains addled with poteen.
Too dumb to realise they could choose anywhere on that enormous continent to live, they huddled together in Noo Yoik's seething tenements and quickly took over and monopolised those bastions of the establishment where spectacular, mule-headed stupidity was not an impediment but was indeed a guarantee of career advancement: politics, the police and the immigration authorities.

As the wars, pogroms and other horrors of late nineteenth century Europe and Russia raged, they produced the biggest human migration ever seen and countless millions of poor and uneducated Germans, Scandinavians, Poles, Czechs, Russians and folk from all points unpronounceable descended on the illiterate Irish immigration officials who now ran Ellis Island.

Here, they found that they would lose their ancient and beloved family names and be given instead a piece of official stamped paper with a new and usually very stupid word scrawled on it.
This was the inevitable result of some dumb Oirish schmuck-o asking the poor immigrant's name and then wrestling incompetently with the alphabet (and usually losing badly) in a deranged attempt at phonetic spelling.

The Irish - whom most people in the US assume are charming romantic poets - cannot even spell their OWN names, let alone anyone else's.
An Irishman at a spelling bee is a sight to behold.
They launch into spelling with more enthusiasm than is probably wise in a people for whom the alphabet is an alien concept, adding endless "g"s and "h"s and cramming consonants in where no consonant has any business being crammed.
They spell "Neve" "Naimh", for fuck's sake!
The current fad for giving kids Irish names makes junior school roll-call sound like a spectacularly phlegmy coughing fit.
Sweet cheeses of Nazareth (not, by the way, available in a spray can)!
These are the people who gave us the hilarious misnames that make the credits the funniest part of any US movie or TV show (my personal favourite being Lolita Fatjo from one of the Star Trek spin-offs … Lolita's bad enough but where the fuck did she get "Fatjo" from? Shamus in immigration; that's where).

Of course, I know that at least three of my very favourite blogpals are of Irish descent but being locked in a cupboard with a sweary blue rubber cat gives rise to odd thoughts and being soundly beaten by angry weemen becomes a strangely attractive notion.

Anyhoo … I shall conclude this stream-of-semi-consciousness drivel-fest with the observation that a similar admixture of enthusiasm and complete ignorance gave rise to what has become that most fearsome weapon of mass destruction: US "cuisine".

The confused, illiterate peasants from various parts of Europe found themselves hunkered down with their new, incomprehensible names, in little turf houses miles from anywhere in the howling snowstorms of the prairie.
Some tattered remnant of folk-memory still lingered in the names and vague notions of the noble cuisines of their home nations but with none of the correct ingredients to hand and struggling with the weird pronunciations of Noah Webster's twisted English they did the best they could.

Occasionally they came up with something wonderful, such as gumbo, chowder or indeed the original Boston baked beans; sometimes they almost produced something edible, like hominy grits; but mostly they came up with deep fried varieties of saturated fats, sugar, salt and gristle - usually coated liberally with maple syrup - and with increasing industrialisation unnatural chemicals were added to mask the appalling taste and texture.

And of course they came up with the "weiner".

If the Germans know nothing else they know how to invade a country and how to make a good sausage.
Just as the French and the English know how to make great cheese ("blessed are the cheesemakers").
A true weiner schnitzel is a joy to behold and delicious to eat.
The thing that passes for a "weiner" in the States deserves its very own circle of Hell.

Though I still want one of those weiner cars!

So that's all the news that's fit to print from the naughty-cupboard.
It's back to scrapping over the litter tray.
Hey ho.

24 comments:

Joy said...

Weiners? Why are we talking about weiners? Just come out of the cupboard and play! I bring gifts from 9000 miles.

dive said...

Hey, I didn't bring the subject up (though I probably would have done had someone forced me to eat one).
See you tomorrow.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Sometimes you seem to be talking a different language. I tried. I really tried.

dive said...

Not hard enough.

savannah said...

i knew it, y'all really do like us, i can tell, sugar! in y'alls heart of heart y'all would dearly love to come live in the colonies bask in the warmth of southern hospitality, revel in all things california/west coast, delight in the snows and fall beauty of new england and revel in the great lakes region of our vast and glorious country!!! xoxoxo

dive said...

Savannah: You are of course exempt from my rant about US "Crimes Against Cuisine", being from a place chock full of splendid dishes.
I would dearly love to visit and do a culinary tour of your lovely city.
xoxoxo

Katie said...

I do believe Dive has eaten a bit too much Banana Lungfat Surprise and is now ranting uncontrollably. I'm with Savannah on this one - I believe this is a desperate attempt to tell all us silly Colonials that you'd really like to come visit the USA and have your silly preconceived notions about our culinary offerings shattered. You might want to wait until after the Super Bowl though; lots of snacks made with Velveeta are featured during that football-fest.

dive said...

Ah, "Velveeta", that crime against cheese!
Actually, I would love to visit you in Berkeley, Katie; you could take me across the bay to San Francisco's Japan Town so I could enjoy a sushi-frenzy!

Shan said...

Weeell now you've gone and gotten my wee Irish nostrils flarin' ya have. How dare you blame my humble assumed ancestry on the likes of anythin' so carcinogenic as the ween?!! We would have surely kept it at corned beef if we could have afforded it with it's beautiful dermal rainbow of colors and tart pickley spices boiling all around. The only thing better than that would be if we could somehow make the brisket go further by adding the entrails of all the other animals that we can find and then we could grind it all up with some tasty smoke flavored seasonings that would keep it from spoiling so fast and...YES! SHIVER ME OWN TIMBERS THIS JUST MIGHT WORK!!!

Wait, maybe I'm not Irish after all. It must be the Chickasaw in me that keeps me from eating many hot dogs. But, I'm way too into cheese and milk to be from around here. Huh. Ok back to assuming I'm English then. Hey ho and tootle pip! Now, I think I fancy a biscuit and a nice hard cheese!

On that note, I guess I'll have to blame the melting pot effect for my relationship with the "cheese food" that is a necessary in my occasional bowl of hominy grits. Velveeta = Yum!

That was quite a lesson from the cupboard there Dive. :D

Shan said...

Ope! Teehee. I didn't see the comments about Velveeta before I wrote mine! Haha-perfecto.

Anna said...

Dive

In all good humour, I must take issue.

I visited England in 1993. The first meal I ate was breakfast, after a night of drinking. It consisted of the vilest, fattiest bacon and eggs I have ever eaten, and instant tea. Not just any instant tea, instant white tea...my hostess then took me to her parents' home, where they served me a meal of deep fried everything - fish, parsnips, chips, with a bowl of overcooked brussels sprouts thrown in for good measure. And a glass of excellent wine that I was far to immature to appreciate at the time. When I asked for coffee with cream, I was given coffee with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles on top. I learned the difference between chips and crisps the hard way. I almost had a barney with some nice gentleman in a pub who told me they would "knock me up in the morning." And I kept looking the wrong way when I crossed the road, which resulted in several near-misses...but walking was ultimately preferable to careening down winding country roads at breakneck speeds.

I live in a city full of German immigrants. I can pronounce weiner.

And my daughter's middle name is Siobhan.

Ha!

dive said...

Shan: you have got my taste buds all excited at the thought of corned beef! Yet another "luxury US food-product" from the heady days of my youth.
I must confess I loved corned beef!
And your recipe for improving it sounds amazing!

Velveeta scares the willies out of me but not as much as "Cheez Whiz"! Yikes!

Give me a nice crumbly Stilton but please don;t squirt Cheez Whiz on top!

HI, Arial!
Sheesh! The crimes that have been committed in the name of a "full English breakfast" are too horrifying to contemplate.
Horrid brown tea, vegetables boiled until they scream for mercy, repulsive fried things that should never be fried (though I must confess I've never come across deep-fried parsnip before).
Next time you're over here, allow me to cook you some real English food to try to compensate for the awful experience you had.
I promise I won't try to "knock you up in the morning" … Hee hee.

Hoorah for Siobhan! Totally incoprehensible spelling but a beautiful name.

dive said...

"Incoprehensible"?
Sheesh! How reprehensible of me.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Gosh I wonder where Arial was? I've never been there before.

dive said...

I think it's just about everywhere in the country outside of Tewkesbury and Norwich, Lynn.

MmeBenaut said...

Holy Cheeses! I think Maria might be insulted. Dive dear, you do not cook in your kitchen typically English food now do you? Well, except for the fish perhaps because I've never been able to read those posts - I have an aversion to looking at dead fish but I'll eat it if someone else cooks it for me.
I've had some horrid English breakfasts too and greasy fish and chips but English cookery seems to have become curry, curry, curry these days. (Excluding Joy's mouthwatering filipino food).
While I'm with you on the wiener - it's not just the "v" for a "w"; the secret to the double vowel pronunciation in the ie or ei is that one uses the second vowel to indicate the pronunciation.
I loved your rant though, employing copious facts amongst brilliant stereotyping. You're such a snob dear Dive in the cupboard.

Volmon said...

With all this talk of rubbery, sausage-shaped meat snacks, I am left wondering whether Dive is in the cupboard or the closet!

Either way, he's one helluva funny bugger (steady on, folks - steady on!), who, like the oyster of literary wit he is, produces ever greater pearls of sarcasm in response to ever greater irritants (by which, of course, I mean such culinary atrocities as Oscar Mayer Weiners, not any of his fellow bloggers.)

Anonymous said...

I say we go out for some bangers and mash. And some good dark ale on the side. Im buying Dive. How many pounds do I need to bring? And just how much is a shilling worth? And just what is a quid?

neetzy said...

Hah! You're coming back in full yanqui bashing form!

I will ignore all the Irish insults for the moment. I understand you Brits think you're superior to everyone. We Americans unfortunately retained that characteristic when we booted you out of here!

Maria said...

I fucking love velveeta cheese. I just do. It makes me happy.

I am just coming off of another migraine, so just the thought of weiners sort of makes me want to puke.

I think some nice cold custard would be tasty, though. Or a slice of pumpkin pie.

I think you need to taste my dear sainted mother's recipe for tuna casserole. It was made with cream of celery soup....and potato chips, I mean crisps.

Anna said...

I'l be there to collect my breakfast within two years, if all goes well.

I was in Sheffield and Derby. One day I walked around Sheffield for more than an hour because I was literally dying for a salad. I found one in some kind of food court, and I paid an arm and a leg for it, but it was so good that I didn't care. As I was staying with friends, I attribute most of my negative experiences to their unhealthy eating habits.

dive said...

Mme: you are right; I tend not to cook English traditional dishes at home as most of them are bland or overly fatty.
Curry is indeed our national dish but I think that with all the damage we did to India during the Raj it is only fair that they take their turn to invade us. Plus of course, most curries are delicious!
Thank you for the German pronunciation. I get a lot of that from Jerry next door, too.
And I love being a snob! Hee hee.

Lucio: I do indeed have a single gay gene; the one that decorates my house with books and paintings and Tiffany lamps and that tuts and straightens towels, but I like kissing girls way too much to encourage it.

US crimes against food and language are an easy target and I cannot resist those, but today I have tried to redress the balance by abusing the pathetic excuse for a cuisine that we have here in England.

Mark: Bangers and mash! Yay! Comfort food for middle-aged Englishmen. I've not had that in ages, though I did have a glass of dark winter ale the other day. Yum!

Gosh, I wish we still had pounds (a quid is a pound as well as a mouthful of tobacco for some reason), shillings and pence.
Twelve pence to the shilling, twenty shillings to the pound, twenty-one shillings to the guinea, two-and-six for the half-crown, five bob for the crown, a tanner a week pocket money (sixpence) and a five pound note was the biggest currency I saw for years.…
Sigh …
We were all of us wonderful at mental arithmetic back then, having to deal with those calculations plus sixteen ounces to the pound and fourteen pounds to the stone, twelve inches to the foot and three feet to the yard and twenty-two yards for a cricket wicket; pints, quarts and gallons instead of crappy litres.
I still think in Imperial rather than metric.

Hey, Neetzy. Hee hee. It is we ENGLISH who are superior to everyone else. We never us "British" as that includes inferior races.
And one day we shall reclaim our lost Colonies so look out for Redcoats!

Maria: That is just too weird. Velveeta is not cheese. No wonder you get migraines!

Your mother's tuna casserole sounds a wonderfully surreal experience.

Hi, Arial!
Breakfast will be waiting, though if you read the end of today's post you may well change you mind! Hee hee.
Sheffield? Sheesh! No wonder you couldn't find decent food.

Scout said...

Great! Now I'm going to be singing the Oscar Meyer song all day. I maybe have missed something in this post, but did you mention the Weiner mobile?

dive said...

I'm so glad I don't know that jingle, Robyn.
The weiner-mobile is on the link to Lulu's blog. It is awesome!