Saturday, January 24, 2009

Enjoy

Hey ho. YouTube has everything on it but the very thing you're looking for.

In my case it was The Tallis Scholars singing Browne's "O Maria salvatoris" (the piece that turned up at the water cooler in yesterday's post).
In fact they've got no Browne at all, not even his glorious Stabat Mater, curse their cotton socks!

Instead, as I don't have time to write a post today I will treat you to one of my favourite Stabat Maters (I have a quite alarming number of them by a couple of dozen composers and many different ensembles but then I'm kinda creepy that way).
Like our Kultürmeister Lucio I love the countertenor voice (and bemoan the lack of castrati in the world today) and here is the fabulous Andreas Scholl duetting with soprano Barbara Bonney for the first movement of Pergolesi's heart-stoppingly beautiful Stabat Mater.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love!
Thanks Dive

Katie said...

This is indeed a spectacularly moving piece. I got chills listening to it. I do hope that no one had to lose any, ahem, important body parts to make this amazing music.

Volmon said...

One of my favourite SMs, Dive, and one of my favourite composers of the period.

Oh, and allow me to introduce the late Hans van der Velden, who located around 700 SMs - 226 of which he owned recordings of!

http://www.stabatmater.info/index1.html

I'd happily sacrifice my baubles if doing so might help me hold a tune, but as there is little to no chance of that, I'll hang on to them and see if I can find some other use for them.

Maria said...

Deep sigh here.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Lovely.

dive said...

Thank you, Anonymous. I love early music.

Hi, Katie. It must have been quite something to give you the chills in California.
I'm campaigning for the return of castrati. Surely the loss of a few testes is a small price to pay for such beauty. And anyhoo, the world is overpopulated as it is, so I'm all for cutting off the balls of every little boy with a good voice to help save the planet as well as make it sound nicer.

Lucio: thank you; I already have him as a bookmark. He's the guy who inspired me to start exploring the wonderful world of SMs (as opposed to S&M).
I hope you find a use for your baubles soon!

Maria: Here, too.

Lynn: I certainly am!

Katherine said...

Oh Dive, thank you for that! What an incredibly beautiful piece. I've been struggling with hormonal depression and that was just what I needed.

dive said...

Glad to be of assistance, Katherine.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Dive: I know.

Hey Dive. The current Guardian thing of listing 1000 books we should all read. Am I alone in thinking that most of those write-ups are about the FILMS of the book and not the book itself? Kind of annoying. You?

dive said...

I flicked through a few of them but yes, the reviews were dire and all of the good books I have already.
Hey ho.
The Grauniad is dumbing down.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Exactly my thoughts, dumbing down, appealing to those who don't read but will watch/identify with the often stupid film instead. I'm not angry; I'm disappointed.

dive said...

Hee hee!