Tremble before me, mere mortals, for I am the Death of Memes.
This time I got tagged by Katherine with:
"twenty-five random things, facts, habits or goals about you. At the end choose twenty-five people to be tagged. You must tag the person who tagged you."
You know me better than that.
This is where memes come to die. Any tag that stumbles in here doesn't get out alive.
You know the rules:
- If you feel like doing this, do it;
- Don't tag anyone or I'll come round and punch you hard in the head.
- That's it.
So … Twenty-five things.
Normally this would be easy; this is my 927th. post and a frighteningly high proportion of those have been memes or self-confessional ramblings so I could easily do a no-brainer and just re-hash old classics.
But a fellow blogger told me this morning: "Bollocks to that! No way are you getting away with copying and pasting old crap."
Hey ho.
Because I don't want to risk a slap I will comply with her wishes and deprive you of such re-hashed favourites as "the cum-eating episode" and "I'm A Celebrity, Beat The Crap Out Of Me".
Sheesh! Twenty-five things that I've not written before? I can't even think of one!
Hang on …
Okay:
1) My favourite poem at the moment (which will probably change by the time you read this):
My favourite poem as of this Saturday lunchtime is "Blashey-wadder" by the splendid Shetland Islands shop-assistant and appalling mandolin player Jen Hadfield.
This is from her latest collection, "Nigh No-Place" available from Bloodaxe Books (ISBN 978-1-85224-793-5) and is of course copyright so go out and buy the book NOW so I don't get into trouble for copying this out:
Blashey-wadder is Shetland dialect; "wadder" means weather and "blashey" is about as onomatopœic as it gets.
Blashey-wadder.
by Jen Hadfield.
At dusk I walked to the postbox,
and the storm that must've passed you earlier today
skirled long, luminous ropes of hail between my feet
and I crackled in my waterproof
like a roasting rack of lamb.
And across the loch,
the waterfalls blew right up off the cliff
in grand plumes like smoking chimneys.
And on the road,
even the puddles ran uphill.
And across Bracadale,
a gritter, as far as I could tell,
rolled a blinking ball of orange light
ahead of it, like a dungbeetle
that had stolen the sun.
And a circlet of iron was torn from a byre
and bowled across the thrift.
And seven wind-whipped cows
clustered under a bluff.
And in a rockpool,
a punctured football reeled around and around.
And even the dog won't heel since yesterday
when - sniffing North addictedly -
he saw we had it coming -
and I mean more'n wet weak hail
on a bastard wind.
Wonderful!
Now read it again only slowly and out loud.
One down; twenty-four to go.
At least I've not repeated myself yet.
More meme crap tomorrow as I really can't be arsed right now.
23 comments:
i was tagged by that very same meme, but on facebook!. i'm having a rough enough time just trying to blog...
xoxoxo
Yeah I've got it on FB too, prob everyone has Dive.
What's all the punch you hard in the head talk anyway. That's not nice.
Savannah, Facebook is where I got tagged originally as well. Thought I would bring it into the blogosphere, since Dive is so in love with memmes!
What a fabulous poem! Kudos to your friend, Dive!! I was right there in the rain storm. I wish I could write like that.
BTW, "even the puddles ran uphill" HOW COOL IS THAT???
I love the term "a circlet of iron."
I don't do Facebook, Lynn.
And the rules are the rules. No tagging here! Hee hee.
Katherine: I would put some of your poems up here (as they are often my favourites) but right at that moment it happened to be Jen. Sorry.
The puddles running uphill are amazing, but then the weather in the Shetlands really IS that shitty most of the time.
One of my favourite lines of hers is about cooking. It reads:
"Under the broiler,
turned sausaged ejaculate."
Hee hee. So perfect a description but it puts you off sausages for a while.
Hi, Maria. These Shetland gals have a way with words.
Though with my mate Babs those words are usually sweary. I get emails along the lines of "Fucking seals shit in my vegetable garden again!"
She is a champion complainer; she lives in a beatiful cottage on the rocky Shetland shoreline where seals breed and she complains about it. Hey ho.
What a delight to read this fabulous Hadfield poem as I sit here in sunny California. (Sorry, but I did my time in severe winter weather states and I deserve a break. I like reading about bad weather, and seeing photos though.) I love the image of the waterfalls blowing off the cliffs. What's a "gritter"? And of course the dog saw it coming. They always do.
It reminds me of the awful weather in your European Tour posts, Katie.
A gritter is a lorry full of grit. They have an orange flashing light on the front and drive around slowly, dumping grit in icy roads to help traction. Her description of it is perfect.
I like that the dog didn't just see the weather coming but something bad for the couple, who are already apart at the opening of the poem.
I know you don't do Facebook Dive! Exactly my point. Most other people do and will have already got/done this meme.
Well, I'll have to do mine here on my own antisocial networking site.
Even if Facebook wasn't blocked by our servers I wouldn't have enough time to do that as well.
Hey ho.
"and I crackled in my waterproof like a roasting rack of lamb"
God that's beautiful stuff Dive, thanks for sharing!
The 25 things seems to be a plague that is going around.
Ah, that's what a gritter is. In Minnesota they put salt on the roads to melt the snow. I recently heard a funny story on NPR about how a town outside of Des Moines, Iowa took salting to a new level. Here's part of the article.
"We've kind of spiced up our operation a little bit," Olson tells NPR's Melissa Block. "We were fortunate enough last Friday to get 9 tons of garlic salt from Tone's Spices. And as a result of that, they gave us a call and we mixed it in with our road salt. And as we speak, we are applying it on the roads in Ankeny."
Shazza: Yup; because I don't do Facebook I seem to be the last to have caught this particualr meme. Oh, well; I'll give it a go anyway.
Aha! Thank you, Katie; at last you have identified a use for garlic salt. It should certainly never be used in food.
Love the poem :D Keeping this short, as I've only got out of bed. Been ill all day! Not fair. It's the weekend. Hope you're having a better weekend!
i am tired of weather, sugar! it's been freezing cold and then bright and sunny and then, rain...the kind of rain that blows horizontally! and then warmish and the gnats come out and bite the hell out of you! and then dammit it, it's freezing again! the weather has been like the previous sentences...dammed incorrect!
xoxoxoxo
(here's to delicious red wine from napa!)
I'm partial to the "seven wind-whipped cows
clustered under a bluff."
Good poetry conjures up vivid mental images. I see these cows.
I laugh.
Savannah is right--this has been mercilessly circulating around Facebook recently. I am thrilled I have yet to be tagged....or could be it be a sign of socal rejection?
I'm like Dive: send me a chain letter and the chain will be broken. It works the same with the tag thingies, though I think this one's well-intentioned.
Thanks for the poem, Dive. Any poem worth its garlic salt ought to be read at least twice. I like every word of this one and will dream in its mood tonight.
Wonderful. I especially love the description of the waterfall.
24 to go, huh? This could give you blog material for a month if you skip some weekends.
Joy, I do hope you're feeling much better today.
Sigh … You must have put too much effort into making Friday a success.
Gnats, Savannah?
Ick.
The red wine sounds good though.
xoxoxoxo
Aww, Neetzy! Poor cows; wind-whipped and now laughed at.
Hee hee.
Hi, Pilgrim. Hoorah for not being tagged. I am too anti-social for social networking.
Petrea. Breaking chain letters and killing memes is satisfying work.
I'm glad you like Jen's poem. She's good.
D'oh! Robyn, if only I'd thought of stretching it over twenty-four more days. Dang! I just posted the rest of the crappy thing.
On the Jen Hadfield tip, I make no comments on her mandolin playing as a rotten mandolin player myself but I've just posted an interview with her here and a blog post about her here.
An excellent interview, William. Thank you so much for that.
Post a Comment