Here she is with her cool new haircut, looking totally excited about Old Dive's company.Anyhoo … I must right a wrong. I've been dissing Shiki for charging four times what I can get Japanese food for in London.
What we need is more Japanese restaurants and sushi bars in Norwich, but Norfolk is so culturally backward that a night of multicultural diversity here involves listening to a Shirley Bassey record while eating a bowl of Campbell's soup (that'll be lost on the Colonials so I'd better add that McD is considered an exotic foreign food here, though how it could possibly be considered a food of any type is quite beyond me).
So … After miso, rice, tamago, yellowtail, unagi, flying fish and more sushi, plus teryaki salmon for Joy I can declare the quality of the food there is amazing. The unagi is even better than London and the rest is just as good.
We're going back one evening to watch Isko show off his Teppanyaki skills.
Soooo … Both being born to shop, we hit the city for a spot of retail therapy before meeting up with Thom in Castle Gardens, the lovely little park around the moat to Norwich Castle.
Where we found … uh-oh … another of those pesky pachyderms!The sun decided to come out then and I burnt my neck, dammit!
And there was no escape from the marauding elephants. This rather attractively decorated one is in the garden of the local TV station.
And this is Joy's personal favourite, sitting, glittering in the Royal Arcade, where it was attracting lots of stupid locals to touch it and go "Oooh!"To accompany today's post, here's a lovely little lazy Sunday tune from those mad Japanese girls in Cibo Matto (the video is pure genius):
Enjoy your Sunday.

A brief postscript for Lynn.
£30 a month for go anywhere wireless internet and they'll throw in a free laptop. You have no more excuses! Hee hee. I must confess to loving the "FREE LAPTOP!" followed by the "£30.00 pm". Those nice folk at the Nokia shop are surely taking the piss.
20 comments:
I quite like the idea of being in a restaurant where you listen to Shirley Bassey while eating Campbell's soup. Sounds too upmarket for Bexleyheath though.
Actually, we spent last night at a very nice Indonesian restaurant with loads of people milling around outside at the end of the Gay Pride rally.
Ah, cosmopolitan London. It will be nice to get back there tomorrow morning and breathe the culturally diverse air (however polluted it may be).
You've visited Norfolk on your anthropological expeditions Betty, so you know just what I mean. Deliverance country.
How fun to get to tag along on your Saturday trip to Shiki and to see more elephants! The restaurant is beautiful and the food sounded delicious. Oh and Joy's haircut is really cute! I agree with Joy on the best elephant -- definitely the mosaic one! I'm glad everyone went "oooh!" when they saw it, because I know how much work went into making that, as I'm an amateur mosaicist. Oh and I'll have one of those delicious iced coffee smoothing I see advertised on the sign behind the mosaic elephant, as it's going to be really hot here today.
Lucky you, Katie! It is cold and wet here (the English summer in full swing).
I love mosaic work; I have been trying to figure out for a long time how to get a Roman style mosaic up on my bathroom wall (I'm thinking around six to eight feet wide by around four to six deep), but the weight has always proved too much of a problem.
Somebody suggested using stained eggshells but that seems a little fragile.
With your mosaicist hat on, what options do I have?
Wow Dive, that place looks faaancy! I'll bet all of that nasty raw seafood looks much more palatable there than where Jamey gets his-from a gas station/Japanese food store about 45 minutes from here. Sounds so lovely I think I'll pass on that next time we fuel up. bahha.
Joy seems fun :D. You need to have your friends take shots of you as well for blogland to imagine you in motion about the town.
Those are beautiful elephants! I've seen longhorn cows and penguins done this way. I like the gigantic splashes of color they make in a city.
Shan, it was indeed yummy.
They get their sashimi-quality seafood from the same place I do so I know it is fabulous quality.
And I post too many photos of myself. I'm sure you would all far rather look at Thom and Joy (I know I would).
Glad you like the elephants. Gigantic splashes of colour are better than gigantic splashes of what elephants usually leave behind them … ahem.
right now, i would love a cup of campbell's soup and someone to watch over me...xoxoxox
(the news might not be good tomorrow, sugar) *major sighing*
Oh, poo.
At least you had a great weekend, Savannah and the news will be better one day soon.
Don't be down-heartened if things get pushed back a little; it gives you more time to look forward to the good times.
xoxox
Dive I'm so excited that you want to do a Roman mosaic in your bathroom! What sort of design do you want to do? Maybe something from a mosaic of Roman Britain like Dido and Aeneas embracing (one of best mosaic bums I've seen)? That one's at the Somerset County Museum, although I've only seen it in one of my many mosaic books.
But I digress from your question about how you can do this. What materials were you thinking of to make it so heavy? Stone or marble would be a bit heavy. My favorite material is Venetian glass. I use 3/4" tiles which I then nip down into tiny pieces, which work well to create detailed designs. That might work for you, but it would take a while to make such a big mosaic. Are you going to do the work yourself? What fun to think about the possibilities!! Ok, today I'll get off my butt and go to my studio and work on my mosaic Picasso.
I was thinking of a maritime design - it being the bathroom. There are plenty of Roman examples to choose from, with dolphins and fish and weird sea-serpents.
I had thought of using glass but that is more a Byzantine thing to do. They made some wonderful mosaics using glass on a gold leaf background which look fabulous in sunlight.
I'm still not sure. It will probably have to wait until I retire now as commuting leaves me with no time.
Nice how Joy's face is noticeable different once Thom is on the scene. hee hee I'm sure she enjoyed your company, Dive.
I had a hard time following the video because I COVETED that little red dress with the snowflake on it SO much....
And I wanted to touch that glittery elephant, too and say, "ooohh!"
he he what a good offer. I'll zoom over immediately. Free with a price. Fantastic.
The expression on Joy's face whilst waiting for you almost matches Thom's who is thinking "Are you really going to take it like that? I'd go portrait if i was doing it."
Lynn was right - I'm jealous.
I can't believe you posted that first photo!!! GGGRRRRR! You didn't tell me I was going to be in it. I thought you were taking a photo of the backdrop. You're dead!
Anyway, it was indeed a delish lunch, wasn't it? And the elephants were everywhere.
Robyn, any woman not certified blind would smile at Thom and go "Ick" at me, so it's hardly surprising.
And … er … thanks for pointing it out.
Dammit!
Maria: I must confess I had to go and watch it again to see the dress. Yes, it's cute but I'm afraid I was watching the girls rather than the clothes. Hey ho.
Lynn: Free at thirty pounds a month just cracked me up.
Having said that, a package like that sounds ideal for a roving reporter such as yourself. Write it off against tax.
Ham: Lynn is ALWAYS right.
Joy: Hee hee hee hee hee!
I must confess I didn't realise I'd caught you blinking. Sorry about that.
And yes, the lunch was delicious! As were your suman! I love trying new food.
Hi Joy!!!
You may as well move to the city dive as you work and just love spending time there -why not?
Wrong city, Rich. I work in one and love the other and can afford to live in neither.
Wow that video was amazing! Not sure about all the Japanese food - apart from Teriyaki beef, it's not something we eat regularly. Perhaps we should go to a Japanese restaurant in London so you can educate us. lol.
We'd best steer clear, Mme. You're not a great fan of dead fishies!
Post a Comment