Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Car Porn - The Silverstone Classic

As I was saying, before I was rudely interrupted by some llamas:

Silverstone! Yaaaay!

Phil waits on the pit wall for the start of the first race.

And here they come!
The growling engines of sexy Jaguars.

Woohoo! Pure auto-eroticism on wheels!

A pack of supercool Lotuses.

Roaring and thundering around the track at ear-buggering volume.

Tearing down the home straight, leaving in their wake a bunch of deaf people reeking of burnt rubber and hot engine oil.

Slipping slideways through the corners, glinting in the sun.
Sigh …

There'll be some of this later in the week.

And probably some of this, too.

A smidgeon of this.

And very likely a dollop of that.

12 comments:

savannah said...

mmmmmmmmmm and yummy, too! why were the stands so empty, sugar? xoxox

dive said...

For a Grand Prix meeting the stands are packed with hundreds of thousands of people, Savannah, but for the Classic it is only tens of thousands, spread thinly around a vast racetrack. Which is great as you can always get a good view and there are no massive queues.
xoxox

savannah said...

i knew if i checked back, there'd be an answer, sugar! ;-) i like the days you work from home. xoxo

Scout said...

Those are some pretty nice looking cars. There don't appear to be many people in the stands, though.

M.Benaut said...

Great place, Silverstone, old son.
Was that 1st Jag, a C-Type by any chance?
Nice to know there weren't any Llamas on that track.
Let me know if you have any further problems; I'll speak to Tenzin Gyatso !!

dive said...

That's one of the nice things about vintage motor racing, Robyn: other than at Goodwood, where it's always packed, most race meetings are only attended by real enthusiasts. You don't have to queue for loos or food and can alwatys find a good spot to watch the action.

It was indeed! Well spotted, Monsieur.
No llama problems; just train problems.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

This event must be the Brits equivalent of Nascar. It looks fun,dive.

See you at the Lotus VP bar!!!

dive said...

The Grand Prix races are our Nascar, Rich; this stuff is just for old farts like me who love racing as it was in our youth, when truly insane men drove utterly beautiful cars way past their limits without safety barriers. It's pure passion.

Joy said...

I'm not a Jaguar fan :D Did you see any Z3?

Katie said...

I'd much prefer the Classic to the Grand Prix, especially if I can see the sexy Jaguars with their growling engines up close. I also like that there are no massive queues at the Lotus bar! The closest I've come to attending an event like this was in 1993 when I was in Le Mans for a Porsche race. I prefer the vintage cars like these though.

Maria said...

Those cars just look all growly and sexy.

dive said...

Ew, Joy! That is so tacky of you! Hee hee.

Katie: I have LeMans 24-Hour racers and Porsche racers, too (both were racing at tha Silverstone meeting). And you may like the next post … a celebration of lovely old aston Martings.

Maria: Growly and sexy is good.