Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Car Porn Week - Burning Rubber

Welcome back to Goodwood House for Car Porn Week, Day 3.

Let's bring things up to date with the Mc.Laren F1 car, raced up the hill this weekend by Pedro de la Rosa and some young upstart called Lewis Hamilton.

These suckers are NOISY!
I mean, when I took this picture my eardrums had been driven so far into my skull they met in the middle (luckily there's not much brain in there to get in the way).

Pedro pits.

There were loads of current cars and top Formula One drivers enjoying a weekend break halfway through the season.

Now we get to my favourite Formula One era, the classic racing cars of my youth.
Here's a sweet little 1967 Lotus Cosworth.

And here it comes, screaming up the track.
Watching hordes of these things racing their asses off is one of the greatest pleasures known to man and that's what we get every year at the Goodwood Revival Meeting (we're back there in September … look out).

Another insane car for billionaires to play with.
Fortunately, the nice folk at Mc.Laren brought this one here to race it.

Yeehaa! I love that aroma of burnt rubber and toasted motor oil.

Hey! Real porn! A naked racing car!
One of many historic Lotus Cosworths that Phil's company still race … in its birthday suit!

And here is its ballgown.

Talking of sex, this car SO does not need a couple of Pussy Galore-alikes draped over it to seduce everyone within a ten mile radius.
Part of Cartier's James Bond exhibition, the original 1965 Aston Martin DB5.

And a car that I have a real soft spot for, the nearest the Japanese have ever come to a beautiful sports car, the glorious 1967 Toyota 2000GT Roadster.
This very car cradled the sweet bottom of … sigh … the utterly beautiful Akiko Wakabayashi in You Only Live Twice.

Loads more tomorrow, but in the meantime, here's Andy celebrating the fact that he remembered to bring his Vaccination Certificate.

16 comments:

savannah said...

formula one racing, now i really am going to weep! Emerson Fittipaldi was my hero! he taught my how to take turns the right way (on tv, of course, if it had been in person, i would have shamelessly thrown myself at him. . .) xoxoxo

dive said...

Savannah: I have photos of Emerson's JPS Lotus racing car and will be seeing it again in the flesh on Lotus's Open Day later this year.
He was truly awesome.
I'll try to dig out the photos at the end of this week.
xoxoxox

Katie said...

I'll take the 1965 Aston Martin DB5. I might even put on a gold dress and matching headband!

dive said...

Oooooooh … there's a thought to get any man all unnecessary, Katie.
Hee hee.

MmeBenaut said...

Poor Andy, he doesn't look a bit like a horse. I think that Akiko W............ has a lot to answer for in relation to your general tastes, Dive.
It's not that I don't like the cars, they are very pretty, especially that Mercedes boxter looking thing but I particularly liked the ivy growing on Goodwood House.
Hee hee.

(Don't forget that if Katie puts those gold things on, at some point she might have to take them off.)

Istvanski said...

That 1965 Aston Martin DB5 is pure class. Droolsome, Dive, very droolsome.
What's the price on a Bugatti Veyron? Quite an unusual looking thing, I don't really know what to make of it?
The only vehicle I had that had an ounce of kudos was a Hillman Superminx.
Poxy thing it was. But I loved it.

dive said...

Mme, you are incorrigible!
The Mercedes SLR roadster starts at around £350,000, though it's probably that much again to insure!

Goodwood House is beautiful inside, too, Mme. If you want a better look, tune in tomorrow for a rather splendid tour!

Droolsome indeed, Istvanski!
The Veyrons are around £750,000 if you have some petty cash laying around.
Woah! A Superminx! When British Cars were truly great!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Well forget the cars, this used to be my home - i lived in that house! Ohhhh it looks lovely. I remember the equine influenza signs well too. I had terrible flu once and was convinced i'd caught it from the horses! Ohhh the memories thanks.

dive said...

Those darned Andys, eh, Rich?
Bastard Andy is currently living it up in Tokyo for six months, so this is Non-Bastard Andy.

I know, Lynn. You should never have moved out, dammit!

Scout said...

You DID take lots of pictures. I love the sculpture.

dive said...

Sheesh! We took hundreds, Robyn. You're only seeing a tiny amount.

Terroni said...

The Aston Martin DB5...yum.

dive said...

Indeedy. With a side order of drool.
I need a bib at places like this.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I wished i could have stayed, at the time. I wanted to live there forever Dive. Gorgeous. As you look at the house there, i was on the left corner, turn around there and i had the first siz windows. Ahhh.... sigh.....

Maria said...

I want to ride in a car where the doors open like little wings....

Anonymous said...

The original kate is back on the blogsphere.
Hiya Dive.